DSLR for Sports Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

matjepun

Mar 19, 2009
A place I call home
Hi all,

Im currently into SportS photography.. LIke F1 and Sports events. Now am gearing up for the Youth Asian Games.

Any Idea witch camera is more suitable? 50D or Nikon D90??
I know that D300 has faster shutter than D90 but my budget is up is 1.9K only..

All opinion are welcome..

Hi all,

Im currently into SportS photography.. LIke F1 and Sports events. Now am gearing up for the Youth Asian Games.

50D bro 6.3 frame per sec... ;)

only for body? u not gonna consider lens?? :confused:

it gonna add up more than dat lor...:)

Hi all,

sad that D300 is out of the picture.
can boost up to 8fps

anw yeap 50D would be better than D90 with 6.3fps!
i think D90's is 4-5fps

1DsMKIII will be your ultimate answer:bsmilie:

But of course if that is $$ falls from the sky:lovegrin:

Erm, yes, 50D should be capable of pretty decent shots, but that is if paired with a fast lens. Any tele L lens should do the trick. Maybe 70-200mm??

if your budget is 1.9k only for both lens and body for sports i suggest rather not shooting it as the equipments will be not good enough, the cheapest for sports is the 70-200mm f2.8 which is 1.4k cheapest and thats for sigma. & 70-200 is only for close range sports only. an idea 1 will be the 300 2.8 which cost at least nearing to 5000 even for third party ones.

Thanks for all the responds..
Well im Considering to start slow.. I can always rent a lens rite??
Nikonians... Any feedbacks??

If lens is a non-issue cause you can rent if you need them, then save up and get the D300. SURE won't disappoint you.

I'm using a D90 for events (ie ppl moving about on stage) and i'm well pleased with it but can see its limitations in terms of AF:

1. 3D tracking af points not enough to cover most of the frame (D300 has 51 compared to D90's 11)
2. D300's AF motor more powerful and accurate, although by a small margin in good daylight (tried before for both cams)
3. D300's 6 frame per second really kick ass when compared to D90's 4.5 fps (actually also fast enough). If you can rent the battery grip and use the newer batteries, you can whack 8 fps.
4. D300's has more AF modes than D90 IIRC.
5. D300's write speed to CF card is much faster and the buffer memory is larger (ie can shoot more frames at top speed before slowing down)

Not all sports require you to have blazingly fast fps speed.. You'll just end up burning off your memory card faster than the 100m sprinter runs..

More importantly, make sure you are able to get your focus and dof right for your shots, and this requires you to know your camera, regardless if its a 1000D/D40 or 1dMKIII/D3..

If the action is in bright daylight, I don't think the 70-200mm is a must, although it doesn't hurt.. As you said yourself, you could rent the lens..

Are you using any particular system now, or just getting into the world of DSLR? Both cameras are fine and capable.. Of course, 50D and the D300 is geared more towards sports, but I suggest you look at your budget, try out the cameras yourself (renting and trying it out in similar situations would be a good idea too), then make your final decision..

Good luck!

If lens is a non-issue cause you can rent if you need them, then save up and get the D300. SURE won't disappoint you.

I'm using a D90 for events (ie ppl moving about on stage) and i'm well pleased with it but can see its limitations in terms of AF:

1. 3D tracking af points not enough to cover most of the frame (D300 has 51 compared to D90's 11)
2. D300's AF motor more powerful and accurate, although by a small margin in good daylight (tried before for both cams)
3. D300's 6 frame per second really kick ass when compared to D90's 4.5 fps (actually also fast enough). If you can rent the battery grip and use the newer batteries, you can whack 8 fps.
4. D300's has more AF modes than D90 IIRC.
5. D300's write speed to CF card is much faster and the buffer memory is larger (ie can shoot more frames at top speed before slowing down)

i agree with tkbonz..
but sometimes its not about the frame per seconds but the quality shots you want to achieve.
a good, fast lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 will be able to get the shots you want.
no point shoot.. shoot.. shoot.. shoot.. but all the pictures blur.
try renting the camera body with the lens and tried it out for yrself.
cheers!

i agree with tkbonz..
but sometimes its not about the frame per seconds but the quality shots you want to achieve.
a good, fast lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 will be able to get the shots you want.
no point shoot.. shoot.. shoot.. shoot.. but all the pictures blur.
try renting the camera body with the lens and tried it out for yrself.
cheers!

A premium fast lens need a FF body to fully utilize its abilities. Not that it cant perform on a cropped body, but dont expect the same IQ, AF speed.

A premium fast lens need a FF body to fully utilize its abilities. Not that it cant perform on a cropped body, but dont expect the same IQ, AF speed.

yes i agree but TS already did mention bout his camera choices which is not full frame.
canon 50D or Nikon D90 or D300.
if TS got the budget thn yes, perhaps can consider full frame.

why would a FF body maximise the AF speed of a large aperture lens?

in any case, don't worry so much about the equipment. i shot the FINA/Arena swimming championships with a 350D with a 75-300 $150 lens and sold prints for a couple of hundred dollars. i think it was only like 3 or 3.5/fps. you just need to know what you can or cannot do with the equipment, and you should be fine.

do you prefer the canon or nikon system? what other types of photography do you do? how much are you willing to spend? i think these are questions that can help you determine which camera to buy. at the end of the day, the camera is just a cool toy. good pictures need a photographer.

I must say that if TS going to do some serious photoshoot on sports, do get a more solid body like the D3/1Ds. My colleague D90 go kaput not once but twice during shooting an ice horkey match and another one is the recent F1 at sepang.

Get to know how well or how far the equipment can perform before going down.

why would a FF body maximise the AF speed of a large aperture lens?

Just one feature to highlight, compare D700 51points AF 4.9fps vs D60 3points AF 3fps.

Hi all,

1)sports shooting means you have to know the sport and know the feeling when the participants are about to try something.

2)my advise is to get the longest range lens possible eg, an 500mm and maybe fix a 1.7x teleconverter.

as long you know 1) chances are you can get good shots even with a PnS..

Just one feature to highlight, compare D700 51points AF 4.9fps vs D60 3points AF 3fps.
can compare also K20D 21fps burst mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.