DSLR for Portrait Photography ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annihilus89

Dec 8, 2008
hi guys,

as the title says... i need recommendations on what is the leading brand for potraits photography ? i know its rather subjective.. but in another way, what is the brand that most ppl use for professional portrait photography ?

Seen alot of ppl using Canon for wedding/portraits photographys in kdramas.. but heard the Nikon has superior flash system which is rather indisposable for portraits ? and.. is it good to have Sony's SSS for portraits ? so torn between theses 3.

im more to taking people, black and white stuffs.. so dont really need a zooms lens. anyone knows what range of lenses i shld get as well ? budget prolly 2.5 ? body + lens + flash ?

thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Is there even a particular leading brand for portraits ? :dunno:

Ryan

but in another way, what is the brand that most ppl use for professional portrait photography ?

as stated ! thanks.

DSLR for portrait photography..?? :think:

Depends on the type of conditions you are gonna shoot ur "portrait" in?

All DSLRs are portrait capable, its the lenses that matter most.

just to make it simple.

which technology would further help in portraits photography?

is Sony's supersteadyshot good for portraits ? or do u guys think nikon's flash system can make up to it with a VR lens ? or is there other technology from other brands ?

also... what is a basic portrait lens to start with ? preferrably a prime lens ? what mm ? :)

Canon people will say canon is good. Nikon people will say nikon is good. Sony people will say sony is good. You know what, just head on down to the local stores and hold the 3 brands and see which one you like.

for flash, i can only tell you about canon since i only own canon. i got a 580ex which is second hand and it's enough for normal shooting. You might want to get 580exll. There is a buy and sell section here and there are some good deals around.

As for lens! Well, kit lens will be enough for portrait.

TS.....

No ONE Camera is 'BEST' for Portrait or in the same way..... not good for something else. :sweat:

It is the whole SYSTEM that is important...... It always dpending on what type of 'Portrait' you are shooting.... Where you are shooting it (Studio, Outdoors, Day, Night.... etc). Even what type of lens to use depend very much on your own shooting style. I use Prime and Zoom lens for my Portrait.

Last edited:
Canon people will say canon is good. Nikon people will say nikon is good. Sony people will say sony is good. You know what, just head on down to the local stores and hold the 3 brands and see which one you like.

for flash, i can only tell you about canon since i only own canon. i got a 580ex which is second hand and it's enough for normal shooting. You might want to get 580exll. There is a buy and sell section here and there are some good deals around.

As for lens! Well, kit lens will be enough for portrait.
Don't forget Olympus, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic and so on.

All are good for portraits, as good as any, because in the end, it is still the nut holding the camera who takes the image.

Buying the most popular or most sold camera will never make you a better photographer, it will just make you feel more comfortable as if you belong to a club. Personally, I prefer to make my own mind up, not to buy what the majority is after, because that is hardly a quality assurance anyway.

Yes, visiting a large shop and test as many models as one can is a good idea.

but in another way, what is the brand that most ppl use for professional portrait photography ?

as stated ! thanks.

I guess that'd be Canon, since it's the most popular system. Hasselblad is a tag too exp, well, my wild guess anyway ;p

is Sony's supersteadyshot good for portraits ?

Yes it's really good for portraits, but don't forget that Olympus and Pentax have in-body stablization as well.

Sony Ericsson and Nokia handphones best for portrait shots. I see teenagers use this all the time....

Hahaha....

Seriously ? I think anyone of the brands are good for portraiture photography. If a brand can get portraits wrong all the time .... the brand must be quite something. Ha....

You have to narrow down what kind of portraits you are interested in.

There's outdoors for day/night, studio types with professional lighting (even if you don't have now, you might someday), multiple flash lighting types..

And then there's color, B&W or fine art.

Personally i use Pentax and i love the colors & sharpness of primes, but my choices for lighting with flashes aren't generous.

B&W wise i seem to see more wonderful photos with the 5d MK2, but that's just my noob opinion, since i don't use Canon nor conduct research on it either. Since you mentioned [D]slr i guess saying film is out too :p
Also, if im not wrong, Canon has pretty good skin toning.

Nikon is strong with their noise control and the undisputedly most advanced flash system. This will be great for night photography with nicely exposed backgrounds at low ISOs.

As for Sony.. i'm really not familiar. But if the Zeiss lenses are what you love, take note that they are Manual Focus lenses. Many people are anal about pinsharp focus on the eyes so if you're shooting with your aperture wide at closer distances this could be bad news.

Another option for both colors and flash is to go for the highly underrated Fujifilm!
My friend owns a prosumer for the Fuji range and it does wonderful color rendition. The S5 Pro will allow you to use Nikon flashes as well.

In my opinion, going down to the store will only help to tell you which camera you think looks better and feels well to your touch, but it won't tell you which camera is better for portraiture. This is something you can do only after getting your Dslr, doing shoots for a couple of months and then comparing your photos to others.

Last edited:
As for Sony.. i'm really not familiar. But if the Zeiss lenses are what you love, take note that they are Manual Focus lenses. Many people are anal about pinsharp focus on the eyes so if you're shooting with your aperture wide at closer distances this could be bad news.

All Sony Zeiss lenses are Auto Focus, and in fact, they're the only AF Zeiss for 35mm SLR format (not sure about other format).

if u wanna get a DSLR for potraiture.... consider the lenses(candid)(ur dof,etc)(fast or slow) that u might need, consider the camera body(noise handling, grain, light , heavy) ,

I do potraiture, streets n strobist style...both have their own approach... so consider ur equipment...

Sony Zeiss lenses are Autofocus.

Status
Not open for further replies.