DSLR for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

feizhu

Jun 16, 2007
www.timelessfacade.com
Hi all,
sorry about reposting this question again but the recent previous threads didn't have what I was looking for. I'm looking to take macro shots of still objects at a close range, so I was thinking of getting a dedicated macro lens as well (probably 50mm or so). I'm actually considering between the Canon 350D, Nikon D40 or the Olympus E510 and my budget is about $1.7k for the body + a macro lens + dry box (it would be a bonus if theres a decent kit lens thrown into the bargain!). I don't intend to blow up my pictures so megapixels isn't really a factor for me. Most of my shots will be handheld as well.

Any pros can please advise me? Thanks! :)

U can get a Canon EOS 350D for $600-$700ish ... plus a Tamron 90mm f2.8 for abt $450 ... with just these 2 items, can get a dry box for $20-$25 ... plus some silica gel for $20 ...

no need to go until 1.7k ...

Get a 2nd hand Minolta 5D (with build in Anti Shake function) for less than $1K and the Tamron macro lens for about $450 you still have surplus for a decent dry cabinet, flash and a tripod.

Hi all,
sorry about reposting this question again but the recent previous threads didn't have what I was looking for. I'm looking to take macro shots of still objects at a close range, so I was thinking of getting a dedicated macro lens as well (probably 50mm or so). I'm actually considering between the Canon 350D, Nikon D40 or the Olympus E510 and my budget is about $1.7k for the body + a macro lens + dry box (it would be a bonus if theres a decent kit lens thrown into the bargain!). I don't intend to blow up my pictures so megapixels isn't really a factor for me. Most of my shots will be handheld as well.

You should be able to get a D40 for $800 thereabouts. I am not sure what macro lens you want to get though. Probably can get the shop to throw in silica gel free if you get all your stuff from it. Must drive hard bargain! :bsmilie:

U can get a Canon EOS 350D for $600-$700ish ... plus a Tamron 90mm f2.8 for abt $450 ... with just these 2 items, can get a dry box for $20-$25 ... plus some silica gel for $20 ...

no need to go until 1.7k ...
Hi bro, for the 350D, do you mean 2nd hand or 1st hand?

Hi all,

You are looking at new or used equipment ?
Please note that for Nikon D40/D40x, Autofocus will not work with non-AFS lenses.
Just for a guide if you are looking at new equipment. digged out from Clubsnap threads.
You might be able to buy the newer model insteads. ;p
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=184322&page=18
Canon EOS 400D Kit: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
- 5/9/07 - MS Color - $1195nett (new, 1pcs 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, EF Lens Work III, 20 DVD+R)

Canon EOS 400D Body
12/09/07 - Cathay Photo - $1020 (new, Lens Work III, 2GB, 20 DVD+R)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=292045
Nikon D40x kit (18-55mm) - ($1060~$1060) | $1060 (AP, May07 - grubbies) free 2GB SD card

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131801&page=28
Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro : (Yen42,000/US$240) RS$680 - AP $590
Sigma APO 105mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM: - OP $588
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro : MS $560 / TK $560 / JO $560 / OP $570 (grey)
Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 Pro Macro D : OP $620 (grey)

You should be able to get a D40 for $800 thereabouts. I am not sure what macro lens you want to get though. Probably can get the shop to throw in silica gel free if you get all your stuff from it. Must drive hard bargain! :bsmilie:
Was thinking of the 100mm VR macro lens from Nikon but its really expensive at $1.2k! Would like VR because my hands aren't very steady. :(

Was thinking of the 100mm VR macro lens from Nikon but its really expensive at $1.2k! Would like VR because my hands aren't very steady. :(

correct me if i am wrong but i think most ppl shooting macro would use a tripod whenever possible.

Then go for the Minolta 5D or the Sony A100 which has build in Anti Shake function, practically all your lenses will have Anti Shake then. The Sony 100mm Macro is also a very solid lens to have if you can afford one or else get the cheaper Tamron 90mm which when mounted on the 5D or A100, will have Anti Shake too. :)

Then go for the Minolta 5D or the Sony A100 which has build in Anti Shake function, practically all your lenses will have Anti Shake then. The Sony 100mm Macro is also a very solid lens to have if you can afford one or else get the cheaper Tamron 90mm which when mounted on the 5D or A100, will have Anti Shake too. :)
The 510E comes with inbuilt IS as well right?

You are looking at new or used equipment ?
Please note that for Nikon D40/D40x, Autofocus will not work with non-AFS lenses.
Just for a guide if you are looking at new equipment. digged out from Clubsnap threads.
You might be able to buy the newer model insteads. ;p
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=184322&page=18
Canon EOS 400D Kit: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
- 5/9/07 - MS Color - $1195nett (new, 1pcs 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, EF Lens Work III, 20 DVD+R)

Canon EOS 400D Body
12/09/07 - Cathay Photo - $1020 (new, Lens Work III, 2GB, 20 DVD+R)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=292045
Nikon D40x kit (18-55mm) - ($1060~$1060) | $1060 (AP, May07 - grubbies) free 2GB SD card

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131801&page=28
Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro : (Yen42,000/US$240) RS$680 - AP $590
Sigma APO 105mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM: - OP $588
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro : MS $560 / TK $560 / JO $560 / OP $570 (grey)
Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 Pro Macro D : OP $620 (grey)

Hi bro, thanks for your help! As far as possible, I would like to buy the body new. Lens new or 2nd hand is fine. I'm tempted to get the D40, but the need for AFS lens is quite a turn off really and not to mention that the VR macro lens are really expensive. Canon on the other hand seems cheaper but I understand the kit lens is not up to par? Olympus seems good with an inbuilt IS and lens seem cheaper than those of Canon or Nikon. Tough choice :confused:

Olympus seems good with an inbuilt IS and lens seem cheaper than those of Canon or Nikon. Tough choice :confused:

Add Pentax and Sony/Minolta to the list of cams with built-in Anti-shake.

Pentax is cheap... But Sony A100 combined with a Tamron 90mm is a very powerful macro combo.

Hi bro, unfortunately for me I don't have the luxury of using a tripod because its more of a shoot and go thing. :)

oic. since its going to be handheld all the time, then u shld consider models with IS built into the body? Pentax, Oly and Sony?

Add Pentax and Sony/Minolta to the list of cams with built-in Anti-shake.

Pentax is cheap... But Sony A100 combined with a Tamron 90mm is a very powerful macro combo.

Hi bro, any idea how much is a SonyA100 now? :)

Hi bro, any idea how much is a SonyA100 now? :)

Tip: with the sony A700 released and hitting our shores soon, the B&S section will have lots of A100 bodies on sale. Also, there are a lot of sony/minolta lenses on sale already. :)

Tip: with the sony A700 released and hitting our shores soon, the B&S section will have lots of A100 bodies on sale. Also, there are a lot of sony/minolta lenses on sale already. :)
Bro, any idea when its hitting our shores? That will give me a time frame as to when to expect the price if the A100 to drop ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.