DSLR for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohN-

Jan 26, 2008
I plan to get a dslr now but have dilemma choosing few of it.I am basically still learning and still a noob so i wouldn't wan to spent a lot at first . COuld u guys help me with it?
Models i decided :
Nikon D80
Cannon 450D
or
a old model D200 Nikon
Thank In Advance

Buget, buget, buget.......

Which camera to get largely depends on your buget..... ;)

hmm. my buget is ard 1k+ - mayb 1.6k

can look at the 2nd hand units in B&S forums.
then u can buy more stuff with ur limited budget.

entry level models are gd for starters..
D40/x, D60, D70/80
350D, 400D
etc

2nd hand D40/x, D60, D80 or 400D

400D shd be facing a price drop soon, can keep a lookout for it. :)

Well that is quite a decent budget you have there to get you a nice DSLR. Well, all I can say is that there are entry level models from each brand and each has it's own pros & cons. Do get a feel of the real thing itself and see which feels most comfortable to our hands. No point I tell you which to get cos you are the one using it.

For reference, the entry level cams of the various brands are:

Nikon - D60 / D80
Canon - 400D / 450D
Sony - A200 / A350
Olympus - E410 / E510
Pentax - K100D / K110D / K10D / K20D

Between the 2, I'd go with Canon 450D. But I'm more partial to canon system and lenses due to preference.

I believe you have read a lot of 'Which DSLR' threads as well.
Some other factors that will affect your choice:
1) camera ergonomics - handling, button positions, handling ease.
2) Lens availability - from friends to borrow/share. I use canon, but most of my friends are using Nikon, so there.
3) Lens choices - original lens choices and 3rd party options.

If you are not concerned about MegaPickles, LiveView and CF card, the 400D is a solid performer for the price. Only 1.5 year old model.

I know specs only tell half the story but the 450D really does have a impressive spec list. And couple that with the rave first impressions about the image quality makes this quite a no-brainer. 450D is much newer and therefore is more advanced in terms of features, higher resolution equates to more details in pictures too (though there are sure to be some pundits who will disagree):D

The D80 I will admit though, has a more substantial grip and a secondary LCD status screen which might come in useful in certain situations.

maybe u can get a canon dslr for start and buy a few 2nd hand lens. Thus far, canon has the largest pool of 2nd hand lens in B&S section. Too bad i am alpha user, tough to get used lens man....

Between the 2, I'd go with Canon 450D. But I'm more partial to canon system and lenses due to preference.

I believe you have read a lot of 'Which DSLR' threads as well.
Some other factors that will affect your choice:
1) camera ergonomics - handling, button positions, handling ease.
2) Lens availability - from friends to borrow/share. I use canon, but most of my friends are using Nikon, so there.
3) Lens choices - original lens choices and 3rd party options.

If you are not concerned about MegaPickles, LiveView and CF card, the 400D is a solid performer for the price. Only 1.5 year old model.

sorry to say...dont mean to start another war but....

i thought nikon was the one known for egronomics...

and with respect to the lense thing, nikon has not changed its mount since like God knows when where as canon has moving to the eos era. thus u would have more access to a larger pool of lenses and old manual lenses are cheap and sometimes even better than what we get today. (sad but true)

if i were buying now, specs wise i would go canon. however im a person who likes to feel the quality in my hands and thats why i never bought canon it never felt good. to me personally. i used canon 400d in school before purchasing my own camera and i never got the hang of using it. thus i got my d80.

i beleive now the price has dropped to about 1.6 (kit) only problem with the d60 and below is that it doesnt have a focusing pin. the magic screw that literally allows u to af with slightly older lenses. so u are limited to the newer lenses. the d80 has been modeled on the d200 the cam that made the digital users turn around and nikon entered the fray again.

im afraid the d200 (its not that old la) brilliant cam but out of ur budget. 1.6 barely gets u the body u still need a lense.

to be fair canon at the lower levels does produce quality cams at competitive prices good specs and all. do research to find ur true answer

maybe u can get a canon dslr for start and buy a few 2nd hand lens. Thus far, canon has the largest pool of 2nd hand lens in B&S section. Too bad i am alpha user, tough to get used lens man....

You must know where to find, bro. Good lenses don't lie around on the streets. ;)

i tink ergonomics dependable la.. diff hands find diff models comfortable rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.