DSLR for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
I'm looking for a DSLR that is cheap and good for beginners right now i am thinking of nikon d40 but i would like to see what cameras are out there that is good for a beginner

All the camera are just tools...

Wat I would suggest is that you go and feel the cameras in your hands. Go down to Harvey norman, Courts, etc...

and try out the beginner cameras there... there should be quite a few brands avail there for you to feel in your hands. Next up, once you have something in mind, start researching on the pros and cos of that system. Note that you'd not want switch halfway thru as selling everything and starting all over again is not economical.

The D60 a new entry level Nikon camera as well.
Amongst the others inlcude Canon 1000D, Pentax K100D

You can try to go down the shops for a hands on feel to see how they handle

Ryan

I'm looking for a DSLR that is cheap and good for beginners right now i am thinking of nikon d40 but i would like to see what cameras are out there that is good for a beginner

remember to budget for other accessories such as extra memory , batts, cleaning kits, dry cabi etc.

Ryan

What is cheap to you :dunno:

Sony A200, Olypmus E520, Nikon D60, Canon 1000D

for myself i got a A200 abt 2 weeks back
:)

Entry level ? Depends on what's a comfortable price range for you really. I do know of 'beginners' who buy Canon 50D or Sony A700 for that matter.

Ok, strictly speaking of the popular brands here in alphabetical order ( as much as I can...)

Canon : 1000D, 450D
Nikon : D40, D40x, D60 ( D90 is a bit off the mark in terms of pricing here as most are ~$1000 +/- $150 or even less)
Olympus: E410, E420, E510, E520
Panasonic:G1
Sony: A200, A300, A350

So... it really depends on which one you're lot more comfortable with. If, in terms of buying into a system and the long term costs of ownership + considerations of long term upgrades and availability of accessories + capability of camera (being a big factor here), I would suggest the Canon 450D or the Sony A300 or A350.

It all depend,what you want and which kind of camera model you want?

Above are good recommendations but as a user and owner, you should feel the comfort in handling. Try them out in the shops then make a decision from there.

Oh yah, forgot the add, for Nikon cameras, go for the D90 and above. The motor drive requirement for lenses in the D40x, D60 is a major hassle in getting good (older, cheaper screw drive) lenses. Current Nikon lenses are not all compatible either. :dunno:

Ok, strictly speaking of the popular brands here in alphabetical order ( as much as I can...)

Canon : 1000D, 450D
Nikon : D40, D40x, D60 ( D90 is a bit off the mark in terms of pricing here as most are ~$1000 +/- $150 or even less)
Olympus: E410, E420, E510, E520
Panasonic:G1
Sony: A200, A300, A350

No love for Pentax? :cry:
K100D, K200D, K2000D/K-M

Pentax offers good value for money. K100D 2nd hand is a few hundred dollars. Even a higher end K10D is $500-$600.
Includes features that many brand would only include at a higher cost (eg. On-body SR, spot meter)
Solid build quality, go feel one and check out the body, buttons, dial construction and feel.
Good range of lenses from the super cheap manual lens of old to current lenses.
Check out the Pentax subforums.

Keep an open mind. Look at the other brand subforums as well. All have good picts and its really the photographer that counts the most at the end of the day. :)

Given the advance technology now, ALL entry level cameras are able to give you great pictures if you know how to use them properly. So it doesn't matter which camera you're getting. Rather I would suggest that you go to the shops to have a feel of the cam and try out the different functions and settings of each cam and see which is more comfortable to your hands and which camera allows you to change the settings easier. Afterall, you are the one using it and not us. However, please note that some sales person will try to sell you what is 'best' to them (higher commission) not to you, so just listen to your heart and be honest to yourself. It doesn't mean big names are definitely good for you and smaller players are inferior.

Hope you'll get your cam soon.

Get the D90 or above instead of the D40.
You can't autofocus with D40 or D60 unless you buy the AF-S (read: EXPENSIVE) lens. Since we are beginners, Autofocus function will come in handy.
So in the medium-term, D90 will be cheaper when you take into consideration the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.