DSLR for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

goblin

Apr 6, 2009
Hi, I'm looking at investing in a dslr, mainly for my online boutique, so most of my shoots will be done in either studio or outdoor. What kind of camera do you guys recommend for someone who isn't very familiar in dslr and preferably a light weight one? Had played around with my friend's dslr before and I think the weight of the camera is an important aspect to me, since most photoshoots will last between 3-4 hours. And what about the lens?

Thanks in advance. :)

i think D40 is good if you have a budget, the kit lens is also light (18-55 II)

if you want 11 point af, live view and video recording, you can try the D5000 with the newer version of the lens ( 18-55 VR)

the D40 kit cost about 400-500 second hand, the D5000 cost about 1.1k brand new now.

Most entry level DSLR and kit lens will do the job. You may want to add a cheap 50mm lens to the setup. Which brand to go for will depend on yourself as you are the one using it, so best is to go to the shops to see which is more comfortable to you.

If u really want light, you should try the sony A230, A330. They r the lightest i have ever held. And dont underestimate their capabilities. they are on par or even better than the top few popular brands at their price range.

Hi, I'm looking at investing in a dslr, mainly for my online boutique, so most of my shoots will be done in either studio or outdoor. What kind of camera do you guys recommend for someone who isn't very familiar in dslr and preferably a light weight one? Had played around with my friend's dslr before and I think the weight of the camera is an important aspect to me, since most photoshoots will last between 3-4 hours. And what about the lens?

Thanks in advance. :)
just what will you be photographing as a dslr is a system rather then just a camera. A point and shoot with the right lighting maybe all that you need.

rather then invest, maybe you would like to rent a set first. Canon, Nikon and Sony are pretty user friendly for beginners.

there's always the new e-p1 =P ... relatively small and light ... plus always in live-view mode ... so i'd think it's easier for a newbie to pick up ...

I am also upgrading to a DSLR ... but torn between waiting for the rumoured Canon 60D and the current 500D. Almost finishing a basic photography course and have an outing soon. Anyone has any idea if it will be coming ... or if I should settle for the 500D ? Diff not that big for the body price between the 50D and 500D.

I am also upgrading to a DSLR ... but torn between waiting for the rumoured Canon 60D and the current 500D. Almost finishing a basic photography course and have an outing soon. Anyone has any idea if it will be coming ... or if I should settle for the 500D ? Diff not that big for the body price between the 50D and 500D.
The Canon 40D....beats the 500D imho anytime if not needing the video. And the 40D isnt even a new model to boot.

Tks for the update. Need video ... as I want to use this cam for travelling .. some weird moments, need video. Maybe baby steps ... will go for the 500D first and see where I end up later. Cheers.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.