dslr for a kid????

fatbike

Aug 25, 2011
hi guys, just wondering if any of u folks has gotten a dslr for ur kid?
tinking of getting 1 for my son, he'll b 8 dis year & seems dat he's stable enough enough to handle a dslr,
he's been using a Panasonic FZ35 for 2 years already, y i tink it's time to upgrade is because he had SPOTTED & even utillize the functions which i didnt notice
had been tinking of bringing him into the world of dslr ever since(early dis year),
i'm using a 7D while my wife's using Samsumg mirrorless NX1000, he's used both but he DOSE NOT LIKE USING LIVEVIEW,so mirrorless is out,
wat i have in mind is 2nd hand 500D or 2nd hand 1100D so we can swop lens, PLS DUN ASK ME TO GET HIM A FF OR A MIRRORLESS FOR HIM:sweat:.
so m here to ask if u guys had any experiences on ur kids,
sud i wait till he's older?
500D & 1100D right for him?
many thx for reading such a tread

2nd hand 450D also can. i think I've seen 2nd hand one going for around 200 there abouts.

wow, dats a fast reply, thx bro
ya, sould look into other body as well, thx

Love it when kids pick it up. I'm also trying to cultivate that in my own 5 and 3 year olds.

Anyway, I think a 500d is a better choice. The 1100d has limited features and feels more toyish.

Since we're discussing, I'd would also introduce film :). A cheap rf camera on film might not be less than 200. Food for thought.

start them off with PNS. your kids will be complaining more about the weight

start them off with PNS. your kids will be complaining more about the weight

His current camera weighs 500g. I don't think it will make any difference to add another 300g to his hands. besides kids these days are stronger than the old days :bsmilie:

1100D should be a starting point for him.

1100D is lightweight and not bad for a start. :)

Wow thx guys for replies, my boy shoot very weird stuffs,
From wide to as narrow as macro, as his current set up dose have a macro & a wide angle filter(both are quite heavy),
Juz on every weekend when I check den I realize some of his work are good n some really keep me wondering, lol
As for wight of camera, my guess is he's ok with either dslr compared to his current 1, hmm, lol

500D got good value.

Auto exposure bracketing, color-space bracketing... custom color balance.
(From what i read Nikon 3200 does not have AEB - quite surprising!)
I am sure your son will have fun.

That's even before adding Magic Lantern for even more more more fun.

A Nikon d600 for him.

Nice n good advises, keep the advises coming in, btw really like the idea of trying a Nikon but dat wud b me instead of my boy,lol
But dats juz another of my BBB list, lol, hard to finances 2type of lens, or maybe a Nikon D3200 w adaptor? Wat u guys tink? Had been
eyeing on 3200 since it's launch, oops

Nice n good advises, keep the advises coming in, btw really like the idea of trying a Nikon but dat wud b me instead of my boy,lol
But dats juz another of my BBB list, lol, hard to finances 2type of lens, or maybe a Nikon D3200 w adaptor? Wat u guys tink? Had been
eyeing on 3200 since it's launch, oops

Nothing wrong with having different type of camera. My dad uses the Olympus, I am using the Canon and my bro is using the Nikon :)

Anyway, I would think that you wouldn't go wrong with either brands of camera. And yes, the Nikon D3200 is great, but do note that it didn't have inbuild motor so some of the lenses (third party or original) will be manual focus only. Do look to Pentax K-30 too, it had weather seals, great ISO performance, etc etc. And also Sony A37 which had the fastest fps as compared to all the other (not inclusive of mirrorless) entry level DSLR.

Anyway, I believe it would be easier if you bring your boy down to the shop and let him has a feel of the different DSLR/ DSLT that was within your budget and see which one he likes best.

thx bros,o ya, heard bout nikor lens dun always haf build in motor,wat bout using canon lens in nikon body? dat way at least can share,
as for letting the boy hands on a camera is a problem for me too, as he can really adapt really well,
had actually brought him to try many times whenever we come across shops with samples, it seems to me dat kids nowadays are REALLY SMART,
he picks up a camera of diff brand for awhile & he'll go on & on bout telling me the differences.......
so guess eventually i've to decide for him,
true, there's tons of brands to choose from, but for a small boy using a dslr to me is still abit worrying.. i'm sure he can handle it & responsible enough but
i've gotta say i've never come across a boy dis small carrying a dslr before, really feel like giving 1 to him on his 8th birthday on Dec,
meanwhile will start doing homework on other makes..
Damn!! it's hard being a parent, lol

2nd hand 450D also can. i think I've seen 2nd hand one going for around 200 there abouts.

with a 450d, i more or less walked a good distance in photography.
6505480235_5b6e29c23c.jpg

with a 450d, i more or less walked a good distance in photography.
6505480235_5b6e29c23c.jpg

hi bro, really agree to 450D, actually i'm holding a dslr now is because i held a 450D ONCE afew years back & it strike me hard, lol
ya, it got me started,have to admit it's really a good set too.
infact i'm meeting dat friend who borrowed me THAT 450D tomolo to let my son try too, heehee,
well, its in my list as well,thx bro

A 2nd hand Pentax Kx or Kr should be good for a dslr.
Small, very well performing and featured.
Very cheap in BnS here.
You could even let him use some cheap manual lenses to learn about handling, aperture (via aperture ring), manual focus

The thing is what you want him to learn. Camera settings? (eg aperture, shutter, etc) or photo taking (eg. composition)
An advanced pns can actually do quite a bit of the above mentioned.
You may not get the 'Aww... so shallow DOF" but you get some still noticeable control over it.

How come a mirrorless won't do?
A good G1 is peanuts in BnS now and a G3/EPL3/GX1 isn't that expensive either.
They can do all the settings for learning the technical parts of photography; isn't expensive and got pretty good lens options for expansion/learning.
Moreover, they are small.
Good IQ too.

Last edited:
btw TS might wanna consider a articulated DSLR..for those cant see shots using the EVF...pretty useful.