DSLR for $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlac

Dec 9, 2004
Hiya Gurus,

I'm to purchase a DSLR for my dept (so 2nd hand equip is out).... and we got $1500 budget

Would appreciate if the gurus here can advise on a preferred setup:

1) 350D/400D (w kit lens) + recommended Flash + Tripod
2) 350D/400D (w/o kit lens) + recommended lens + recommended flash + tripod
3) 350D/400D (w kit lens) + recommended lens + recommended Flash + Tripod

Usage of the camera:
Indoor: Events, classroom training, studio shots, etc
Outdoor: Carnivals, roadshows, etc

*Am open to Nikon DSLR too... :)

Thank you in advance

Hiya Gurus,

I'm to purchase a DSLR for my dept (so 2nd hand equip is out).... and we got $1500 budget

Would appreciate if the gurus here can advise on a preferred setup:

1) 350D/400D (w kit lens) + recommended Flash + Tripod
2) 350D/400D (w/o kit lens) + recommended lens + recommended flash + tripod
3) 350D/400D (w kit lens) + recommended lens + recommended Flash + Tripod

Usage of the camera:
Indoor: Events, classroom training, studio shots, etc
Outdoor: Carnivals, roadshows, etc

*Am open to Nikon DSLR too... :)

Thank you in advance

D40X kit + SB-600 + tripod.

Your budget is very tight for B-new equipment. A good flash will already cost 300+. A good tripod, another 150-250. You may need to settle for a low-end Nikon D40/D40x.

i would suggust a good P&S like S3IS or G7 with flash. 1.5K too low

Doesnt have to be a super flash one that does the job should suffice. would tat cost that much?

I presume the breakdown:

DLSR - $1100-$1200
Flash - $100
Tripod - $100

a decent flash costs more than $100.

why don't you check out the price guide at the nikon and canon forums and then budget a more realistic amount for the equipment you need?

Doesnt have to be a super flash one that does the job should suffice. would tat cost that much?

I presume the breakdown:

DLSR - $1100-$1200
Flash - $100
Tripod - $100

That's VERY optimistic for a flash.

I presume the breakdown:

DLSR - $1100-$1200
Flash - $100
Tripod - $100

Then you might as well use the built in flash. Flashes (even 3rd party) with compatible TTL functions are not cheap.

why don't you check out the price guide at the nikon and canon forums and then budget a more realistic amount for the equipment you need?

Actually, come to think of it...

Budget in the Pentax forum. A LOT cheaper than N or C.

Try this:

Pentax K100D w/ 18-55mm $1080 w/o GST
Pentax AF-360 FGZ P-TTL Flash $310 w/o GST
Tripod - $100

Okie spoke to my "tech" guy... he knows more abt cameras than me...said not to buy tripod.

Suggested to only purchase DLSR(w/ kit lens) + Tele-Lens + Flash (if got $ remaining)
worst case scenario, dun buy flash n tripod... only lens+body

Is this still out of the $1.5k budget range?

Okie spoke to my "tech" guy... he knows more abt cameras than me...said not to buy tripod.

Suggested to only purchase DLSR(w/ kit lens) + Tele-Lens + Flash (if got $ remaining)
worst case scenario, dun buy flash n tripod... only lens+body

Is this still out of the $1.5k budget range?

Tele-lens can set you back a bit as well...

Go for Pentax. If you get a Nikon D40, you need to shell out lots of $$$ for a AF-S or AF-I tele lens. With Pentax, you might be able to fit it in by skipping the flash.

pentax k100d dual kit (18-55 and 50-200) for under $1500 is possible.

Olympus E-500 Dual Kit (14-45mm , 40-150mm) all under $1000. I believe you can get a flash and a tripod if you want to. :D

If you are considering Pentax, then this might be it;

K100D kit 18-55mm - $860 OP
DA 50-200mm - $350 OP (need to check again)
AF360FGZ flash - $330 CP

Total $1540 (But you'll save more on future lenses)

Tele-lens can set you back a bit as well...

Go for Pentax. If you get a Nikon D40, you need to shell out lots of $$$ for a AF-S or AF-I tele lens. With Pentax, you might be able to fit it in by skipping the flash.

Is there a need to get more lenses? If not, the 18-55 and 55-200Vr are budget lenses which gives great result.. so why not D40X?

If the flash and the tripod are nont important, then the D40X kit with an additional 55-200VR lens, should still be under $1500, can take you a long way.

Olympus E-500 Dual Kit (14-45mm , 40-150mm) all under $1000. I believe you can get a flash and a tripod if you want to. :D

This would be a good deal. I didn't know the prices for Olympus has come down so much.

Is there a need to get more lenses? If not, the 18-55 and 55-200Vr are budget lenses which gives great result.. so why not D40X?

If the flash and the tripod are nont important, then the D40X kit with an additional 55-200VR lens, should still be under $1500, can take you a long way.

Because the Pentax is a better deal for that price (you get a flash too). And VR is built into the body, no need to buy VR lenses.

Because the Pentax is a better deal for that price (you get a flash too). And VR is built into the body, no need to buy VR lenses.

Does it work as well? I have never been impressed with Pentax even until now. :) But if so, it is a good deal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.