DSLR flight boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tJames

Aug 31, 2008
Hi all, is it safe for our DSLR to go through x-ray scanning machine before boarding the plane?

Hi all, is it safe for our DSLR to go through x-ray scanning machine before boarding the plane?
A short answer is "Yes".

I think u do not have a choice NOT to go through X-ray machine at airport nowadays, but the answer is yes it is safe.

Mine still works fine after going through the scanner a good number of times. Don't worry.

Should be safe, and remember to switch it off first before passing it through the x-ray (just to be on the "safe and paranoid" side) :D

Should be safe, and remember to switch it off first before passing it through the x-ray (just to be on the "safe and paranoid" side) :D

Battery need to take out?:sweatsm:

Battery need to take out?:sweatsm:

Can, but keep it in your bag. Once I was asked to switch on the camera to show that it really a cam and not an empty case with something else inside. Funny face from the security officer when the display kept dark after switching on (Live View was not introduced at this time). Snapped a pic and could show her then.
Don't keep batteries in pocket, I remember that some country's security officers get pretty nervous about batteries carried outside their respective devices.

It's fully safe to send yr DSLR through the metallic scanner. Only if u're using film then better to have to hand-checked.

Can, but keep it in your bag. Once I was asked to switch on the camera to show that it really a cam and not an empty case with something else inside. Funny face from the security officer when the display kept dark after switching on (Live View was not introduced at this time). Snapped a pic and could show her then.
Don't keep batteries in pocket, I remember that some country's security officers get pretty nervous about batteries carried outside their respective devices.

i once had this as well but it happened to me when i was carrying a laptop. asked me to take out the laptop n they checked. not happy, ask me to power on to show it is working. took a grand total of 15 mins. lucky i was not late for my flight.

back to the topic. its 300% safe for ur dSLR to go through the X-Ray machine. if u are carrying films, then its better to ask if the machine is film friendly.

It is dslr freindly and film friendly, however it is environmental unfriendly. I worked with radiation :)

Most airports/customs are already using film safe x-ray machines. If it can't hurt your film, it shouldn't mess with electronics in your camera.

Yup, it's definitely safe... but just to be on the safe side, dont forget to turn off your camera before you put it in the X-ray machine

You can do a search. I believe this has been discussed before.

Yes, together with "will the pressure change in cabin affect DSLR", "can I take photos in the cabin", "can I take photos during take off and landing", and many such related questions.

And to save anyone interested time searching, the answers are "no", "usually yes", "go ahead if you insist, but put it away if asked to".

Status
Not open for further replies.