DSLR Duty Free

Bretto

May 19, 2011
Hey all

I am close to buying a DLSR but i'm not too sure,
if I can get one cheaper when i go over seas.

I am going to Australia next week. The price at challenger is 1299, not sure if it would be cheaper at airport?
if anyone can check or even help with this problem,
this would be much appreciated,
as I want to start shooting ASAP!!!

please PM with any information:sticktong:sticktong!!!

Bretto said:
Hey all

I am going to Australia next week. The price at challenger is 1299, not sure if it would be cheaper at airport?

Haha you did not even mention what camera model, how are we to know what's the price?

opps, sorry

the camera is a canon 600D with the 18-55mm kit lens!!!!

sorry all

so if i buy from challenger at 1299, when i go to the airport, i can get some duty back?

i think you should look at the price list which Diavonex shared . . .
you will get better price elsewhere . . .
read more and you will know where to get . . .

so if i buy from challenger at 1299, when i go to the airport, i can get some duty back?

If you are a local of course you can't get the tax rebate might work if you hold a foreign passport.

That implies you have a foreign passport,a non resident or tourist.For local,anything above SG $400 is taxable if you bring in.

I Live in Singapore but I hold an Australian passport!

hi ts maybe u would like to visit those shops at funan? just go into the shop and ask for price and compare

thanks for your support guys!!!!

I Live in Singapore but I hold an Australian passport!

To get the GST refund you must be a tourist on Social visit pass. And you have to show your passport while you are buying your item and tell the shop owner that you want to claim GST.

If you are a SPR, WP/EP/DP/Student visa in singapore you are not entitled to claim GST. Hope this helps.

Hey all

The price at Changi airport cost more as compare to getting it at Funan.

If you to to changi, you get RRP -7%. If you go to Funan, or call the shops in the PRICE GUIDE, you get an even bigger discount.

The GST refund is only 5% of the things you bought. The other 2% for admin charges, you can go buy at Funan and then claim GST, will be more worth than buying in Changi. Funan shop price then another 5% GST refund discount. Ask for the GST refund slip when you buy in the shop, you need the slip to claim.

Like others said, only on social visit pass/tourist can get a refund, even if holding a foreign passport don't mean 100% eligible. And can't work in Sg, or stay here for more than 180 days or so. ICA website has all the info.