DSLR Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock

Feb 14, 2006
Greetings all, I'm new to the world of advance amateur photography but have been "pointing-and-shooting" for long awhile. After much consideration, I've decided to purchase a DSLR.

I was actually considering a prosumer digital compact. As I understand, there are quite a lot of good ones out there now. But knowing myself, I will give in to the world of DSLR eventually so may as well save money and get it straight away.

My main subjects are scenes, action/sports and portraits/people, more of outdoor but a lot indoor as well. Some questions and I will appreciate you generous input:

1. How fast is the turnover rate for DSLRs?
Eg. on average, how long will a new model be launched? I know it will take time for me to grasp the knowledge of DSLRs and don't want to spend a bomb only to have an obsolete piece when I finally do.

2. Any new models along the range of $1500 - $2500 coming out soon?
I'm currently considering between the 350D and D70. My friends tell me the D70 is better, but from what I've read, it's been out for awhile and I'm thinking a replacement isn't too far away?

3. What must I look out for if I purchase second-hand?

4. Are the deals on eBay USA any good?
I see ALOT of package deals up there claiming to give away $4000+ worth of freebies etc. Commercially speaking, I know this is not possible but they really do include lenses, accessories etc. at normal retail price. Why is that so? Grey market? Example, http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-20D-D...89218207QQcategoryZ107907QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5. Would you recommend a newbie get something beyond entry-level (D70, 350D etc.)?
I'm quite tempted by the EOS-1Ds Mark II, to be honest, because of it's looks. It's narrower than most DSLRs and I love the back. Would professional-grade cameras such as that have a longer turnover lifespan? It appears that the camera manufactuers are aggessively marketing DSLRs to everyday people and I would expect them to release prosumer models more often because of that.

6. Finally, for interest sake, what are are the pinnacle brands? I'm only aware of Hasselblad and Leica.

Thank you!

start with the basic models and the accompany kit lens. once you tried it out, then you will know what you want.

This is an expensive hobby and can also be an expensive lifestyle for some people. Think carefully.

Jock... to answer your question...

1. Some models will be "renewed" every 2 years and some 4... so it all varies.

2. New models will only be speculation until it is finally announced. "better camera" is highly subjective. e.g. Ken rockwell thinks D70 is better than D2x while many people beg to differ.

3. Ermmm too difficult to answer.... maybe you can try online search.

4. Its not weather Ebay is good or bad. Its all about the seller as well as your skill to identify a good deal. So far i have got great deals from ebay USA.... But then again, I am located in USA. If you are in sg, a lot of sellers do not ship overseas.

5. Tough question. Some newbies start with Pro models and some start with entry level DSLR. Advantage of entry level DSLR is that they have lots of automated features which can be helpful to newbies at times. As for Pro level DSLR, a lot of automated features are taken out and newbies may find the camera real difficult to use at times. But modern day entry level DSLR does have some of the features Pro models offer. Bottom Line... both can produce nice images at the right hands and terrible images at the wrong hands.

6. Since I cannot afford them, I dun bother to find out.... :bsmilie:

Bro, the D70s and 350D are both good choices. I had the same dilema when looking for a DSLR and was choosing between the two. The Canon has a higher resolution but the Nikon is more a semi pro compared to the Canon which is more an entry level model. I went for the Nikon in the end based on the overall feel. It seemed more hardy and feels more pro-like. No regrets. Got it over 3 months ago and still coming to grips and trying to be familiar with all its functions.

There is no need for you to go for something as high as the 1Ds when the above 2 models are sufficient for your needs at this level. They're good enough for any pro for that matter.

The D70s isn't all that old. It wasn't that long ago when it replaced the D70.
Prosumer models seem to be upgraded or replaced sooner than the pro series. But the frequency is not that bad that you have to worry when buying one. If you get the D70s now, even after 2-3 years when new models are out you'd still look respectible with it.

When buying 2nd hand, the first thing you look for is fungus. make sure the glass on all parts of the lens is clear and not stained in any way. Then of course you try different setting, i.e fully auto, shutter priority, aperture priority, manual, make sure all the dials are working, shutter is firing smoothly, make sure the lens mount is not worn or dented, try mounting it on a tripod and make sure the thread is ok. You may even want to compare the meter reading with an external light meter. Don't forget to also try the flash.

Thank you to all 3 who responded. Think I will go for the D70s in the end.

A couple questions now that I know more:
1. When I mention eBay, I was referring more to the brand new deals.
There are many sellers selling package deals with body, lenses, CF card, flash, filters, tripod, carrying case etc. Looks quite good on "paper" but I'm wondering if there's any catch? They seem like a better deal than the standard kits from Nikon, or not? I can get it shipped to Singapore, but will the warranty be valid? Is manufacturer's warranty international?

2. What are some lenses and accessories I need for the D70s per my shooting requirements in my initial post?

Jock said:
Thank you to all 3 who responded. Think I will go for the D70s in the end.

A couple questions now that I know more:
1. When I mention eBay, I was referring more to the brand new deals.
There are many sellers selling package deals with body, lenses, CF card, flash, filters, tripod, carrying case etc. Looks quite good on "paper" but I'm wondering if there's any catch? They seem like a better deal than the standard kits from Nikon, or not? I can get it shipped to Singapore, but will the warranty be valid? Is manufacturer's warranty international?

2. What are some lenses and accessories I need for the D70s per my shooting requirements in my initial post?
1. when u order fm ebay USA and it is delivered here it become a gray set...which means no warranty in sg...bodies are usually regional/local warranty, but lens are usually international warranty iirc...

2. u will need a flash, a WA lens, fast lens and blahblahblah...buy watever u need..dun buy wat u dun need...

wait a few more months for EOS 20d price to drop to <$1500 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jock said:
Eg. on average, how long will a new model be launched? I know it will take time for me to grasp the knowledge of DSLRs and don't want to spend a bomb only to have an obsolete piece when I finally do.
a camera doesn't become obsolete just because a newer model is released. i know there's the desire to have the newest and best, but it's a futile game of catch up since new models are constantly announced. it's more important to find a camera that you like, and fits your needs.

Jock said:
I'm currently considering between the 350D and D70. My friends tell me the D70 is better, but from what I've read, it's been out for awhile and I'm thinking a replacement isn't too far away?
well, PMA is at the end of the month, and there are usually a lot of cameras announced around this time. if you aren't in a hurry, just wait a few weeks. even if you don't buy the newly announced models, the prices of current models will usually drop.

Jock said:
4. Are the deals on eBay USA any good?
I see ALOT of package deals up there claiming to give away $4000+ worth of freebies etc. Commercially speaking, I know this is not possible but they really do include lenses, accessories etc. at normal retail price. Why is that so? Grey market? Example, http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-20D-D...89218207QQcategoryZ107907QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
too good to be true? it probably is. i think it's fine to buy a lens or an accessory from a reliable online seller, but it's rather risky to get an entire package. and i find that the "packages" often contain rubbish items that push up the price unecessarily. don't forget the hassle and price of shipping from another country, possibly have to pay GST, item get lost in transit etc.

Jock said:
5. Would you recommend a newbie get something beyond entry-level (D70, 350D etc.)?
I'm quite tempted by the EOS-1Ds Mark II, to be honest, because of it's looks. It's narrower than most DSLRs and I love the back. Would professional-grade cameras such as that have a longer turnover lifespan? It appears that the camera manufactuers are aggessively marketing DSLRs to everyday people and I would expect them to release prosumer models more often because of that.
i think looks are not a good reason to get a camera. especially a very expensive one. and if you're new to this, is it really a good idea to buy such a big and expensive camera? why not start with an entry level one, they are actually pretty good. then you can get used to all the quirks of a dslr, like the size, changing lenses, using a viewfinder instead of an lcd screen, using all the manual functions etc? you can also use the money and slowly build a good lens collection. if in a few years you find you're still into photography, then you can upgrade to a pro camera if you want, and you'll already have lenses to go with it.

just my opinion lah...

Jock said:

Thank you!

I dun think a manufacturer comes out wif a new model very fast...

The only new model of a dSLR tat is coming soon seems to be only the Olympus E-330. Others are merely facelift like Pentax *ist DS2 & *ist DL2. Other than that Olympus E-500 & Canon EOS5D are the most recent ones...

user111 said:
wait a few more months for EOS 20d price to drop to <$1500 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dude, from the number of posts u make on this and other threads about the drop in price, u seem very confident that this will happen.

U know for sure will drop this much, or u just guessing? And $1500 is refering to new local set in SGD, or u refering to something else, can clarify?

Bro Jock, don't get too excited about what you see relating to the USA. Many things there do not apply here. I get sent emails from America asking me to try new mobile phones and other new gadgets and I get to keep them after trying. Great deal huh? Nope. Applies only if you live in the states; nowhere else. The deals you see are probably only applicable in the states and not here. But like a Bro here posted, stuff from there are considered grey here and do not have warranties. Is it worth the little savings after you pay for postage, insurance and stuff?

You think too hard.

Just find one you like. Buy and shoot first talk later. You are going into a hobby... not buy to collect, just shoot first, talk later.

Electronic goods in general has short lifespan. They may be the latest model today but may obsolete tomorrow. Worrying too much wouldn’t help much, get what you like and go out there and start shooting.

1. approx 1.5 years maybe, but if your current model is good, it's still good, just that the new model might perharps be better..

2. your choice between the 2 models is most likely to be your choice of system you'll hav stick to, dont just consider the particular camera model but also the brabd which you think it suits u more, choose wisely.. there might be a canon 20d replacement model out soon, not sure price though..

3. all based on your consumer instinct

4. prices are different in different countries, i think prices here are more expensive compare to US, JP, HK, KL, etc..

5. good choice! there's nothing wrong with wat camera u r using if you have the budget, for this model, based on it's specs, i cant think it'll be replaced in short..

enjoy!

6. mostly german

DT_ said:
3. all based on your consumer instinct

:bsmilie: I must say then based on my instinct buying my first dSLR is not quite right...

I am quite a small size guy, when i was going to buy my first dSLR, i told myself i don't wanna get a huge looking dSLR body, I shall get a smaller size dSLR, & since the size of the camera body is small, it should not be using a bigger size CF card. It should be using a smaller size SD card. Performance seems to be only 2nd priority. :bsmilie:

After more than 6 mths of using, i felt that the size of the body actually doesn't matter so much. And using SD card is actually a disadvantage even though it has the highest speed available as a CF card. I wanted to get a portable media player & it has a CF card slot, many models only have CF card slot. A high speed CF card is also cheaper than the same speed SD card. Though tat gap is not much now.

I have learnt what i didn't know at first, & i'm stubborn dun listen to a friend ;p (whom is a professional, but i thought that was his own bias opinion.)

yeah I have the same dilemma too. 350D or D70s or D50?

Issues I have considered (maybe experienced csers can help).
1. CF or SD. only D50 uses SD.
2. ISO. seems that D70s and D50 200-1600 but 350D 100-1600.

Actually D50, use the extra $ to buy a better lens, is a good beginners' choice, that is, if I have made up my mind about the system.

i think turnover rate for camera bodies no issue, since lens can be used on a new camera body.
what are you waiting for? buy buy buy!!!

Stoppable said:
yeah I have the same dilemma too. 350D or D70s or D50?

Issues I have considered (maybe experienced csers can help).
1. CF or SD. only D50 uses SD.
2. ISO. seems that D70s and D50 200-1600 but 350D 100-1600.

Actually D50, use the extra $ to buy a better lens, is a good beginners' choice, that is, if I have made up my mind about the system.

1. Advantage SD:
  • smaller size
  • no pins to break
  • getting cheaper than cf

2. Advantage 350D but do you really need the lower 100 ISO?
b/w the D50 and D70s there are some differences but if you dont see it then get the D50. you probably wont need the extra features anyway.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ebyside&cameras=nikon_d50,nikon_d70s&show=all

at the end of the day, decide on one system. I've both the 350D and D70s now and personally I'm leaning towards the 350D.

Status
Not open for further replies.