DSLR Choice (< $1000). Pls advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpiocjs

Jan 17, 2008
Hi, I am undecided between choosing Canon 1000D, Canon 450D, Nikon D60, Nikon D80, or similar models along this range. Budget is ard S$1,000 or less. New would be ideal, but don't mind buying 2nd hand for a better model. Comes with lens of coz.

Any advise?

for 1k i tink u can look for 2nd hand 40d body only
very gd body coz i currently using 1 haha $100+ more i tink u can gt a 18-55 is lens to start off haha
tat my opinion haha hope it help :)

$1k D80 and buy/sell thread should able get at around $800:)

If you can squizzzzzzzz a little more cash, go for D90 kit set.(I am assuming you have $1000):)

Unlikely that I can get a D90kit for S$1000+? Specs is gd, but I thought market price is around.. $1.6k+ if Im not wrong. Personally I like the size of Nikon D60 & Canon 1000D.... Nikon D90 & Canon 40D is on the slightly larger size. Anyone got experience with the D60? Or even D40x? The only big con I heard is concerning the auto-focusing for certain lens is not possible....

Unlikely that I can get a D90kit for S$1000+? Specs is gd, but I thought market price is around.. $1.6k+ if Im not wrong. Personally I like the size of Nikon D60 & Canon 1000D.... Nikon D90 & Canon 40D is on the slightly larger size. Anyone got experience with the D60? Or even D40x? The only big con I heard is concerning the auto-focusing for certain lens is not possible....

yup the D60 doesnt have a motor in the body,
meaning only AF-S lenses can use auto focus, other AF lenses can be used but no auto focusing..

I had the same options as you less than a month ago.. the D80 was my choice.

Oh.. D80... so in terms of specs.. .D80 is a much wiser choice compared the 1000D & D60?

Go to the Buy/Sell section..... and try your luck there.... Since you are willing to get a 2nd hand DSLR.... $1K would be enough. :thumbsup:

Im a supporter of Canon.. and perhaps Nikon.. Sony... maa... not so easy to play with.. but thanks for the advise.

I hate Sony as a brand, but i'm using their alpha system. There's no point of "supporting a brand" here. Pick the system that suits you the best.

just remember that you are investing in a system.

try to avoid a company that has expensive optics if you cant afford it in the near future..

I would honestly suggest a canon or a nikon....personal preference...theres a strong 2nd hand market here for nikon and canon stuffs...

all in all..just shoot more and be happy about it...don't worry abt upgrading your equipment because sooner or later you will know what your camera lacks...

IMHO, buy a new one within your budget. 2nd hand you dunno if there's hidden damage.

Yes, it would be great if I can get a brand new set of D60 coupled with the 18-55mm VR & the 55-200mm VR lens together. But seemed like very difficult to get it under $1000 unless I go for second hand. Sigh.... wonder the coming IT show would offer what kind of prices... coz those freebies also add up to quite a fair bit isn't it?

Hi, I am undecided between choosing Canon 1000D, Canon 450D, Nikon D60, Nikon D80, or similar models along this range. Budget is ard S$1,000 or less. New would be ideal, but don't mind buying 2nd hand for a better model. Comes with lens of coz.

Any advise?

D60 dual lens kit ard 1169, D60 with 18-55 ard 869... start off with the 869 one first lor... i oso dnt suggest getting a 2nd hand set... the next IT shw is march... i now deciding if i shld get e D40 set at 699 or not... damn hard decision as D40 is end 2006 model... both D40 n D60 can only accept AF-S lens... but D60 is with D-lighting... good to have, but not a need to have for beginners... my views...

just remember that you are investing in a system.

try to avoid a company that has expensive optics if you cant afford it in the near future..

I would honestly suggest a canon or a nikon....personal preference...theres a strong 2nd hand market here for nikon and canon stuffs...

all in all..just shoot more and be happy about it...don't worry abt upgrading your equipment because sooner or later you will know what your camera lacks...
I second to this.

Don't forget about dry box, cam bag(shoulder/backpack), extra batteries, memory cards, ext. Flash, filter for lens, CPL, blower, lens cleaning cloth....... There are lots of hidden things/cost before buying a Dslr.
So your $1000 is only enough for the hidden cost. Please do a research on getting a Dslr from friends and a search on clubsnap before buying/asking anything.

Happy Chinese new year and wish you will strike this coming Toto angbao so that you can buy a better Dslr(full frame).
All the best!

I also realized that the Nikon D60 does not comes with the Live View. This is so simple a function that I thought should have added in. Canon 1000D does comes with this function though.. tough choice

Get the D40X body(second-hand if you could) with the following len included:
(a) AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G len.
Then, save money for later purchase of AF-S DX VR Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED len. This way, you're complete with a wide-angle shot(18mm) to telephoto shot(200mm).
For a person like you who started to get interest in photography and into DSLR era, you can use the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G len to capture shot in 105mm viewing: this is how you can do it. Set your D40X camera image format to "Large" & "fine" JPEG element, which yield shot with full 10 megapixel. Then use the camera to "crop" the taken picture "2 level down" (in other word...zooming in 2 level down). The final cropped picture will have image equivalent to 105mm shot.^^
(b) AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IF-ED.
If you could just buy the body of D40X second-hand cheaply, then you could try to buy this len to complete the wide-angle shot(18mm) to telephoto shot(200mm). There should be some second-hand in the market for this len as upgraders will let go of this len in place for a longer range len such as AF-S VR Nikkor 70-300mm.
(c) Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM.
Good len as it has "Optical Stabilizer"(OS) and a fast motor drive(HSM, Hyper Sonic Motor) built into the len. Again, if you could just buy the body of D40X second-hand cheaply, then you could buy this Sigma len (for Nikon mount, of course) for a wide-angle shot(18mm) to portriate shot(125mm).
There should be some second-hand in the market for this len because people with this len may upgrade to a longer range such as the Sigma 18-200mm or Sigma 18-250mm.
Chrees!^^

Wow... that's really gd advise! I am now having 3 options. Option1: Wait for IT show then perhaps grab a brand new D60 dual lens kit (18-55mm + 55-200mm)in the range of $1,200+/- coupled with all the essential free gifts. Option2: Find a 2nd hand D60 with the standard 18-55mm VR lens at a price of ~$750+? Then following that I can find some other lens to play with. Seemed like almost end up same pricing... Option3: Considering Canon 1000D. Really got to pop down to Funan to play with the cameras myself.

D40x and D60 really looked quite similar isn't it? But it's always better to get something newer so that in future if I wanna sell still not tat difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.