DSLR Basic Kit to start

And may i ask if there are any trusted shops which you mentioned located in Simlim or Lucky Plaza? Eg. OP and the former Lords?

The "former" Lords is no longer trusted as they were closed down and are now a new shop. and OP is good for tripods and bags, but still limited.

If you want to use those 2 as your defense, then you should specifically tell the TS those 2 shops, rather than giving them the "1-in-100" odds of getting lucky. Furthermore, you have no real defense as you yourself said:

if TS cant see the sacarsm in the reply then you need to advice him. not me.

Fail.gif

- u should buy nd110

- u should buy a gitzo tripod with markins head

- u should buy a billingham bag

- u should buy a phottix cleon II remote

- u should buy hi tech filters

- u should buy cokin filters

- u should buy whole collection of gary fong's lighting kit

- u should buy more lenses. 2 lens is not enough.

Waaaa very good advice you give. Good examples what NOT to buy when unsure.

And may i ask if there are any trusted shops which you mentioned located in Simlim or Lucky Plaza? Eg. OP and the former Lords?

Quite wrong. Many many newbies come here and got ripped off by lucky plaza and Sim Lim shops. The LAST thing we need is for you to advise them.

In the future, keep such comments to yourself.

The "former" Lords is no longer trusted as they were closed down and are now a new shop. and OP is good for tripods and bags, but still limited.

If you want to use those 2 as your defense, then you should specifically tell the TS those 2 shops, rather than giving them the "1-in-100" odds of getting lucky. Furthermore, you have no real defense as you yourself said:

Oh my, you are so wrong. never thought of using it to my defense. but just to let you know that you should not make inappropriate statement like many newbies got rip off by lucky plaza and simlim shops. You should not make such a general statement and at least make it clear which shops are not that bad. i suppose Ap is also not that bad too other than the other 2 i mentioned.

So in future pls make yourself clear and dun confuse the newbie. Thanks. Of course if you like to argue and have the last say pls go on. I am not one of those who think that i must have the last say to prove that i am right. Now is you turn if you die die wanna have the last say.

Else then shhhhhh... i will check back again when i got time.

the best person to advice you is the shopkeeper. try to go to shops in SimLim and LuckyPlaza. they will be able to advice you what other accessories you need to buy. happy shopping.

Guess what? I just got my remote control and Hood...Present from my friends as a birthday gift...Haha...

Playing of words aside...

TS, I suggest you to shoot more and go for outings. As you use your gears more, you will realise what you actually need and what you don't. Personally, i will check with a few of my more "pro" friends before making a purchase, see if i really need it and also if the prices are reasonable.

If you have narrow down what you really need, you can try the BnS section and price guide for different prices. Alternatively you can try calling those shops and do a comparisons.

Happy shooting.

I think so far for me, all accessory that I have now is considered enough already, unless i really looking into those special effect filter, or those macro, tilt, wide angle, etc lens...

TO TS:

some of the people here are really NBTD (nothing better to do)... don't bother about them...

glad that you have some new toys to play with... go out and experiment with them.. and have fun...

then stay away from buying until you know what you want...

and then when you're ready to purchase... the best places to go are in the buying guide.. you can forget about sim lim la.. unless you wanna try Orient photo on the 6th floor like what RASHKAE pointed out... other than that.. the other 'rubbish' mentioned you can give it a miss la..

Oh my, you are so wrong. never thought of using it to my defense. but just to let you know that you should not make inappropriate statement like many newbies got rip off by lucky plaza and simlim shops. You should not make such a general statement and at least make it clear which shops are not that bad. i suppose Ap is also not that bad too other than the other 2 i mentioned.

I'm not trying to step into an argument here but its true that many people get cheated by shops in those 2 shopping centres, warning newbies against visiting these areas seems like good advice to me, i would add in peninsula plaza too, even though the trusted CP is in there.

Last edited:
TO TS:

some of the people here are really NBTD (nothing better to do)... don't bother about them...

glad that you have some new toys to play with... go out and experiment with them.. and have fun...

then stay away from buying until you know what you want...

and then when you're ready to purchase... the best places to go are in the buying guide.. you can forget about sim lim la.. unless you wanna try Orient photo on the 6th floor like what RASHKAE pointed out... other than that.. the other 'rubbish' mentioned you can give it a miss la..

Yes, I did heard that before...

Anyone compared the lens price at Malaysia's Canon and Singapore Canon's? I heard they have a better price...

Is there any recommendation using the third party lens, like Tamron and Sigma??

but just to let you know that you should not make inappropriate statement like many newbies got rip off by lucky plaza and simlim shops. You should not make such a general statement and at least make it clear which shops are not that bad. i suppose Ap is also not that bad too other than the other 2 i mentioned.

So in future pls make yourself clear and dun confuse the newbie.

Are you writing a post to yourself? It is YOU who recommended the shops in sim lim and lucky plaza, and even admitted you were being sarcastic. It is YOU who did not mention which shops there are not that bad.

I suggest it is YOU who should make himself clear, otherwise just don't post rubbish until you actually have something intelligent to say.

Is there any recommendation using the third party lens, like Tamron and Sigma??

Tamron and Sigma both have good and bad lenses (just like Canon). Use google to search for reviews, a good site to start is photozone.de

I'm not trying to step into an argument here but its true that many people get cheated by shops in those 2 shopping centres, warning newbies against visiting these areas seems like good advice to me, i would add in peninsula shopping centre too, even though the trusted CP is in there.

Eh CP is in Peninsula PLAZA and Ben Photo/TCW/Ruby/Manda is in Peninsula SHOPPING CENTRE leh...

newbie question.... moving thread to Newbie Corner...

Stay ON TOPIC guys (YES that means YOU 2 gentlemen), thank you :)

Last edited:
Hi, pls make a trip down to Canon showroom at Vivo if you are using Canon and the sales person there will advice you on what accessories you may need. IF you are using other brands pls go down to their respective official showroom.
You are highly encouraged to buy accessories from them as they sell at Canon recommended retail price and are all originals and will not rip you off. =)
You are highly encouraged to keep such 'wisdom' for yourself.
Showrooms and branded shops are the same as any other shops: point of trade where money is exchanged for goods. The basic rules of market and profit dictate the behaviour of the people. Expecting reasonable and serious advice that could even be "Don't buy, you need to get experience" is ... naive, to name it politely. Those shops exists, indeed. But you have to travel far to find them.
TS: there are many good workshops and outing here listed. If unsure what to get I suggest you stop all kinds of purchases but use the money and invest in a good basic photography course. You might wonder why these course never ask for your camera and won't offer any camera-specific lessons. The reason is: the basics are valid for all systems. If you are short on money then just join the outings. But be aware of people praising their own equipment. For a real good 'cure' from all these equipment blabbering just search for the everlasting threads here "Is it equipment or the photographer?" - should keep you busy for a long while and I hope you get the idea :)
Regarding shops: There is a list of reputable shops on top of the price guides and also in all price guides (not all shops offer all camera systems). If possible, get a friend to accompany you for any visit there. It helps to have a friend who has it's own opinion and you can discuss things with. Keep in mind: sales men and shopkeepers want to sell, the more expensive the better for them.

once TS is good enough, your questions will come in more specific to the equipment.

You are highly encouraged to keep such 'wisdom' for yourself.
Showrooms and branded shops are the same as any other shops: point of trade where money is exchanged for goods. The basic rules of market and profit dictate the behaviour of the people. Expecting reasonable and serious advice that could even be "Don't buy, you need to get experience" is ... naive, to name it politely. Those shops exists, indeed. But you have to travel far to find them.
TS: there are many good workshops and outing here listed. If unsure what to get I suggest you stop all kinds of purchases but use the money and invest in a good basic photography course. You might wonder why these course never ask for your camera and won't offer any camera-specific lessons. The reason is: the basics are valid for all systems. If you are short on money then just join the outings. But be aware of people praising their own equipment. For a real good 'cure' from all these equipment blabbering just search for the everlasting threads here "Is it equipment or the photographer?" - should keep you busy for a long while and I hope you get the idea :)
Regarding shops: There is a list of reputable shops on top of the price guides and also in all price guides (not all shops offer all camera systems). If possible, get a friend to accompany you for any visit there. It helps to have a friend who has it's own opinion and you can discuss things with. Keep in mind: sales men and shopkeepers want to sell, the more expensive the better for them.

you are entitled to your opinion while i am to mine. unless you are so positive that your opinion is the only opinion that is correct. else ssshhh. dun act like an aplha male here. shooo.

i would encourage you to read Octarine's post.. and yup.. go and understand the meaning of photography in ur life.. then you will be better equipped to counter all sorts of nonsense from salesmen or seemingly smart people here in this forum...