DSLR alike Compact Camera

flub26

Jul 30, 2008
Hi, is there any compact or prosumer camera that is almost like a DSLR?

Closest would be Sony rx1, rx100, Canon g1x or the upcoming Nikon coolpix A.

If you want to be able to change lenses then you're looking at mirrorless like NEX or m4/3.

Or are you only referring to the looks? "Like a dslr" in what aspect?

Last edited:

In what aspect?

1) Sensor size (bigger than normal compact camera and the same size or slightly smaller than DSLR APS-C sensor) - Sony RX100, Canon G1X, Fujifilm X100
2) Sensor size (bigger than APS-C sensor DSLR) - Sony RX1
3) Handling and ergonomic - all the bridge camera (or superzoom) such as Panasonic FZ series of camera, Canon's SX and SH series of camera, as well as fujifilm and Olympus handling.

Here I will asume TS is talking about image size, IQ, performance, etc. If a compact camera literally 'looks' like DSLR, it's no longer compact.

Here I will asume TS is talking about image size, IQ, performance, etc. If a compact camera literally 'looks' like DSLR, it's no longer compact.

Well... TS did mentioned compact OR prosumer, so it doesn't necessary mean compact only.

Oops, forgot to be specific..
I mean alike as in he camera function. Would prefer to have wide angle and longer zoom. Any that can take macro?

I mean alike as in he camera function. Would prefer to have wide angle and longer zoom. Any that can take macro?

Basically almost all of them. There are hundreds that meet your vague criteria. Go to some of the Mega stores, play with some cameras, shortlist some. Then go read reviews and buy the one you like best.

Bridge cameras like canon sx50 lor...

Wide angle
Long zoom
DSLR-like controls.

The only thing is it's a fixed lens and small sensor.

Panasonic FZx0 series.

I have the Panasonic FZ50 that behaves exactly like a DSLR. Only thing you cannot change the lens.
35-420mm f/1.8-3.7 lens :) with 1.8" sensor :) Zoom and focus done on the lens body itself :) Can fit 55mm filter :)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Review: Digital Photography Review

Panasonic FZx0 series.

I have the Panasonic FZ50 that behaves exactly like a DSLR. Only thing you cannot change the lens.
35-420mm f/1.8-3.7 lens :) with 1.8" sensor :) Zoom and focus done on the lens body itself :) Can fit 55mm filter :)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Review: Digital Photography Review

Actually it's 1/1.8" sensor so for comparison here's the visual:
sensor-size-11.gif

Actually it's 1/1.8" sensor so for comparison here's the visual:

We're not discussing DSLR... and of sensors size found in DSLRs
The question posted by TS was of compact that behaves like a DSLR, and for compact, 1.8" is a large sensor :) as shown in your visual

We're not discussing DSLR... and of sensors size found in DSLRs
The question posted by TS was of compact that behaves like a DSLR, and for compact, 1.8" is a large sensor :) as shown in your visual

1.8" is a large sensor, if any, but your pany is only 1/1.8" sensor.

To me the closest in terms of handling would be Fujifilm XS-1. Especially in the handling of the zoom lens. It operates through zoom ring just like a zoom lens for dslr instead of using the power motor zoom in SX50HS or Fz200

Another choice could be the Canon EOS M, if you are not into fast-action photography. An attraction promotion going on now for the M, check out the Canon website.

Another choice could be the Canon EOS M, if you are not into fast-action photography. An attraction promotion going on now for the M, check out the Canon website.

That's not a "compact camera" that's a mirrorless interchangeable lens Cam. Like that then might as well recommend all the other mirrorless cameras which all have better AF (and in many cases image quality) than the M.

That's not a "compact camera" that's a mirrorless interchangeable lens Cam. Like that then might as well recommend all the other mirrorless cameras which all have better AF (and in many cases image quality) than the M.

it is in fact quite compact with the 22mm lens mounted. just bought the kit and am personally satisfied with both the AF and IQ.

it is in fact quite compact with the 22mm lens mounted. just bought the kit and am personally satisfied with both the AF and IQ.

TS is looking for a DSLR-like compact camera. From the English alone, one can tell that he's not looking for smth physically compact. But you are recommending the opposite lol.

TS is looking for a DSLR-like compact camera. From the English alone, one can tell that he's not looking for smth physically compact. But you are recommending the opposite lol.

okee okee, if you say so. just trying to help.

Last edited: