Dslr add-ons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddzz

Apr 12, 2009
Me a newbie and going to buy my 1st dslr. Wanna know what are the essential accessories that must have.

1) UV filter? Brand? Price?
2) Lens hood? Price?
3) decent flash?
4) extra batt?

I'm not going deep-deep into photography so will not be getting much of the system, things like grip will be out for me. Looking good for D90.

Tripod, dry-cabinet and camera bag.

Me a newbie and going to buy my 1st dslr. Wanna know what are the essential accessories that must have.

2) Lens hood? Price?
3) decent flash?
4) extra batt?

I'm not going deep-deep into photography so will not be getting much of the system, things like grip will be out for me. Looking good for D90.

Actually, none is a must have.

Personally, been doing ok without items 2-4 so far. In other words, depends on what and how you shoot.

it a never endind buying....:bsmilie:

cam, lens. filters, cleaning kit, dry cab, tripod.....etc

main things: wat's ur budget?:devil:

I would say extra battery , nothing more annoying than waiting for battery to charge before one can take pics.

for uv filters we have cheapos like vitacons and the real good ones like b+w and are priced at $10 and $100 respectively(may differ according to filter size, 52mm 67mm etc)

as for lens hood you dont really need it unless you're shooting alot in the sun and alot of zoom lenses come with lens hood

extra batt is not needed unless you're out shooting for 2 days without a charger or you're a wedding photographer because all the camera's battery life is very good, esp D90, which can hold up to 1300 on one charge

just use your in-built flash unless you are shooting indoor events alot then get the SB-800 its the only flash you'll ever need

thks for all the advices.
getting the d90 18-105mm. wats the reasonable Uv filter i should get and the price? Also the hood.
will skip the batt for now.

get the hoya 67mm super-slim for your 18-105 or the b+w if you're feeling rich.

they cost about 18 and 100 respectively

and your 18-105 comes with the hood

enjoy!

2) Lens hood? Price?
3) decent flash?
4) extra batt?

Basic items would be a bag, dry cabinet, flash, extra batteries, etc...

The others would depend on how you do your photography. The image quality of the picture you take is dependent on the glass which the light goes thru to reach the sensor, so if you add a lousy filter to a kit lens, you're gonna make the IQ worse.

So get a better filter if you wish to use one. :)

2) Lens hood? Price?
3) decent flash?
4) extra batt?

1. dry cabinet

almost anything else is optional, e.g.

2. cleaning tools (sensor and/or lens)
3. tripod
4. whatever you have mentioned
5. battery grip
6. expensive lenses
7. expensive sd cards/cf cards whatever
8. photoshop cs4

blah blah blah

to be honest, if you are raelly on budget, bag is optional, can carry in ntuc plastic bag

2) Lens hood? Price?
3) decent flash?
4) extra batt?

the only add-ons you can add to your DSLR are the battery grip and flash.

UV filter and lens hood are add-ons for your lens.

If you are going for a D90, don't go for an extra battery if it doesn't come by default. I have shot endlessly from both my Nikon and 3rd party batteries and they hardly fully drain. There's always some juice left. :)

However, if you have the option to buy it cheap while purchasing the body, then it's worth it so you can alternate.

Bag is a must, but do shop around and check the feel and handling to your preference so you don't end up with something that doesn't suit you.

Finally, if you don't have any DSLR experience, there's a lot the D90 can teach you. Only when we go out and shoot regularly we'll learn the nooks and crannies and awes of the system. All the best! :)

2) Lens hood? Price?
3) decent flash?
4) extra batt?

I vote for knowledge as the first "must get". Learn the basics about photography and soon you'll know what you need. Makes decisions much easier than just to look for "completing gear collection" and the difference between filter A and filter B. Don't buy as long as you are not convinced about the need. Don't buy just because other people use it. Never buy because a sales man tells you to do.
Read about whatever you hear / get recommended. Search the forum, search with Google, ask and question. Don't get caught with 'kiasu', protection mentality and concerns. That's the usual way people get pushed into purchasing things they don't really need. You buy your camera to use it, not to preserve it like an item in museum.
Apart from that: get a dry cabinet. Check here for more details.

Dry cab and bag. You might want a tripod eventually but wait until you've learned if and why you need one.

Don't buy anything else until you know what you need and why.

I vote for knowledge as the first "must get". Learn the basics about photography and soon you'll know what you need. Makes decisions much easier than just to look for "completing gear collection" and the difference between filter A and filter B. Don't buy as long as you are not convinced about the need. Don't buy just because other people use it. Never buy because a sales man tells you to do.
Read about whatever you hear / get recommended. Search the forum, search with Google, ask and question. Don't get caught with 'kiasu', protection mentality and concerns. That's the usual way people get pushed into purchasing things they don't really need. You buy your camera to use it, not to preserve it like an item in museum.
Apart from that: get a dry cabinet. Check here for more details.

Pretty much sums up what I wanna post as well.

Newbies always make the mistake of BBB (buy buy buy), without understanding if there's even a need for it.

I'm using D90 with kit lens 18-105, 1 x batt and a free CANON bag :X
Yeah.. Canon bag. The deal didn't include a bag, but bargained for a free one :)

The only enhancement I added was a Contax filter, that's about it.

The 18-105 kit lens should be able to last you for quite a while :)

Dry cab and bag. You might want a tripod eventually but wait until you've learned if and why you need one.

Don't buy anything else until you know what you need and why.

Tripod-wise... not unless you're doing quite a fair bit of Night Shots.
Otherwise, it's almost optional.

My night shots are done tripod-less. lols....
But of course, composition-wise is quite limited/handicapped w/o a tripod.

Between TKPhoto and Parisilk, which to choose cos both giving similar pricing for D90.

Orion where is this shop?

grab a photography book at the local library. No point getting recommendations if you dont understand the proper (and improper :)) applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.