Dslr 1st attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbr3345

Dec 24, 2003
West

Erm... please read this and follow the instructions in the future.

I saved the photos to view on my computer. The pixelation is gone but most of your shots are out of focus. Fast moving objects which are far away: set your camera to manual focus and focus to infinity.

Also, might be your lens. I take it you're using the zoom lens that came free with the camera. At 300mm and f5.6 the image quality won't be very good. Maybe f8 onwards will be better. What's more, you'll need a tripod to reduce camera shake. In general, whatever the zoom lens, the minimum speed you can go without camera shake is 1/zoom distance.

Noticed you're using ISO100. You might want to use a higher ISO for low light situations and fast objects.

Non-technical aspects... hmmm... they're just photos of military aircraft. Admittedly, I wouldn't know how to evoke feelings from these type of shots. They are challenging to capture, but I think at things like NDP, better to focus on the performers and the people.

Keep on shooting...

Though out of focus and exposure control, you've already got the idea of a good shoot. Especially like number 3 and 4. Keep on shooting friend... no worries about getting things wrong the first time...

acroamatic,
you're right! i was using the free 75-300 zoom lens. never trial more and over est the cap of my handfree. really picked up good pointers from you here. btw what you meant by 'pixelation is gone'?

saifulbahar,
really need the encouragement. :)

guess i was trying too hard to get the right timely shot...ended up using the 'crop' function eventually.

thks ya both!@

Your photos appeared pixellated, as in like they were saved as a low quality jpgs, as viewed in the thread.

i believe there is another preview on 31 July. i may be going on that day, provided that i get the volunteer pass....(DUN ask me how to get one):nono::nono:

anyway, try using the AI servo. i will be a great help.

your shots are probably soft and/or out-of-focus. i noticed that you are using ISO100 for all your shots, in the early evening. by right, the flypast should be about 1902 hours, so you might want to up your ISO to at least 200 or even 400, so you can get to freeze motion.

tip: dont use ACDsee to do your photoediting... and do post up smaller photos for people to see. a small, clear photo, is better than a large, unclear photo... ;)

Low light and fast moving objects shooting - something that I'm still learning. I presume other than getting a faster lens f2.8 etc, the only way to get these kind of shots is to boost up the ISO and prefocus ur object. You will also need a pair of stead hand or tripod to stabilize ur shoots.

Pal, do keep shooting! :)

Please read the posting guidelines of the recommended sizes for posting images.

For the time being, the hot links are changed to urls

thkthks for all ya valuable comments.
reconfirm a newbie again.. :p

kei, i was still wondering what do i do with the error..heehee
will take note in future.

scud, so lucky of you to have the preview pass..i could only sit on the east entrance stairs.

sehsuan, is there something different with acdsee for photo editing? pls advise.

rainman, me still thinking of getting a faster len..any recommend? stead pair of hands, yes but tripod..how to take inclined shots?

perhaps if anyone interested in going down for a snappy, can pm me.
forecast every sunday from now on will have flypast preview..this could be the last time A4 skyhawks appear on NDP.

cbr3345 said:
thkthks for all ya valuable comments.
reconfirm a newbie again.. :p

kei, i was still wondering what do i do with the error..heehee
will take note in future.

scud, so lucky of you to have the preview pass..i could only sit on the east entrance stairs.

sehsuan, is there something different with acdsee for photo editing? pls advise.

rainman, me still thinking of getting a faster len..any recommend? stead pair of hands, yes but tripod..how to take inclined shots?

perhaps if anyone interested in going down for a snappy, can pm me.
forecast every sunday from now on will have flypast preview..this could be the last time A4 skyhawks appear on NDP.

Ppl are looking at fix aperture telephoto lens like 70-200L 2.8 or the sigma series. But all these incurred costs, for myself I'm also using a cheap 70-300 lens can't really get good shot from it. After a few times of practising still managed to produce reasonably Ok pics.

for inclined shot, I just shortened one of the legs of the tripod so that I can get the angle. Unless u can get good light else I think minimally a ISO800 is inevitable (IMO)

acdsee may render some of the exif information in your photos gone... so if folks like me want to know what settings you used to shoot the picture, we're gonna suffer... :D

exif no need one...just plain remember can already

clive said:
exif no need one...just plain remember can already

not for him. it's for people like me who need to look through his shots to decipher what went right/wrong in them...

keep shooting! :sweatsm:

thks all thks

will heed advise and shoot more..
shoot shoot shoot... :D

rebel...here i come

Status
Not open for further replies.