DSL modem/router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Baron

Aug 5, 2002
butterfly.nss.org.sg
I am considering signing up for PI Broadband and PI offers the following DSL modems :

- free USB modem
- Efficient 4060 USB modem $15.60
- Aztech Turbo 305E DSL Ethernet modem $91.52
- Creative DSL Ethernet modem (Creative 8010) $101.92

I am considering getting the the Aztech.

I would like to know which DLS modems/routers are broadband users here using and which do you recommend.

Thx

Based on your choice given, pick either of them below.

I am using Aztech Turbo 900E...

Originally posted by ivor
Based on your choice given, pick either of them below.

I am using Aztech Turbo 900E...

Is turbo 900E includes routing fuction ? can I attach a hub and share the line with another PC ? How much do you pay for Turbo 900E ?

If I want to share the line, should I get an integrated modem+router+hub, separate modem, router, hub or modem+router, hub ?

your modem doesnt need to integrate with a router if you are using a hub to share the internet connection between PCs

for sharing of internet connection, the best way is to get a individual ethernet modem, broadband router if cost is not an issue

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
your modem doesnt need to integrate with a router if you are using a hub to share the internet connection between PCs

for sharing of internet connection, the best way is to get a individual ethernet modem, broadband router if cost is not an issue

So separate ethernet modem and router is the best. Any brand you can recommend. Someone recommeded me Linksys router ? Is it good ?

I believe the Aztech modem has router built in with DHCP capabilities. You should only need to connect it to a hub to share the internet connection.

For internet sharing, are you lookig at wireless netweoring or just ethernet?

If you like to have wireless capabilities (802.11) also, Netgear has got preety good reviews over here in US.

I am using Netgear MR814.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10328497&loc=14683

Got it for US$60. It has router and Firewall built in, so it doesn't matter if the modem has router built in or not.

- Roy

I am looking at Ethernet networking. Don't need wireless.

I am wondering what is the advantage of going for integrated modem/router/hub vs individual . Is it cheaper to get integrated modem/router ?

What you need to get is one of the following:

1. DSL modem with ethernet interface and router built-in plus a hub
2. DSL modem with ethernet interface without built-in router plus a router

So you need to compare the price difference between modems with and without router function, and the price difference between a hub and a router.

Eitherway, you need 2 pieces of equipment. My guess is that optioon 1 will be cheaper, but that is just my guess.

So far I have not seen or heard of a DSL modem with router function and multiple ethernet ports. If this is actually available then you only need 1 piece of equipment and that might be the cheapest solution.

- Roy

In that case, I would like to suggest to you, the below

1. Aztech ADSL DSL Turbo 900E - Ethernet networking for broadband..

2, LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Wireless-Ready Router - Use the to share your broadband, and when you need wireless in the furture, just slot a wireless PCMCIA card in, and it is a wireless base... Don't need to stuck with a complete wired or wireless base equipment...

Originally posted by Gan CW
I am looking at Ethernet networking. Don't need wireless.

I am wondering what is the advantage of going for integrated modem/router/hub vs individual . Is it cheaper to get integrated modem/router ?

Originally posted by ivor
In that case, I would like to suggest to you, the below

1. Aztech ADSL DSL Turbo 900E - Ethernet networking for broadband..

2, LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Wireless-Ready Router - Use the to share your broadband, and when you need wireless in the furture, just slot a wireless PCMCIA card in, and it is a wireless base... Don't need to stuck with a complete wired or wireless base equipment...

Thanks ! Will do price checking this weekend.

I am considering signing up for PI Broadband and PI offers the following DSL modems :

- free USB modem
- Efficient 4060 USB modem $15.60

I am considering getting the the Aztech.

I would like to know which DLS modems/routers are broadband users here using and which do you recommend.

Thx

Just curious, how do you come to considering PI broadband compare to Qala (www.qala.com.sg), Singnet and Starhub Maxonline...

I'm a PI dial-up now, hoping to get Broadband soon...

Originally posted by Snowcrash

Just curious, how do you come to considering PI broadband compare to Qala (www.qala.com.sg), Singnet and Starhub Maxonline...

I'm a PI dial-up now, hoping to get Broadband soon...

I have not considered Qala. Only looked at major provider - PI & Singnet. Price wise I think Singnet is slightly cheaper but with longer contract for 512K. Picked PI becasue it comes with 10M web space, 12 months contract and analog dial-up is free.

Originally posted by roygoh
So far I have not seen or heard of a DSL modem with router function and multiple ethernet ports. If this is actually available then you only need 1 piece of equipment and that might be the cheapest solution.

- Roy
Actually, there is, but its more expensive than the 2 equipment price. Last I checked (ok, think its 6 months or more ago, now mabbe cheaper), those things still cost $600-$700. A DSL router with 4ports, printserver+firewall cost $130-$150 now. Of course, the one suggested by ivor would be good if u plan on wireless in future. GanCW, just drop down to SLS and you'll have flyers/brochures stuffed to your face ;)

..NuTs..

Originally posted by nuts

Actually, there is, but its more expensive than the 2 equipment price. Last I checked (ok, think its 6 months or more ago, now mabbe cheaper), those things still cost $600-$700. A DSL router with 4ports, printserver+firewall cost $130-$150 now. Of course, the one suggested by ivor would be good if u plan on wireless in future. GanCW, just drop down to SLS and you'll have flyers/brochures stuffed to your face ;)
..NuTs..

$130-$150 looks good to me, especially if it includes firewall & print server ;) Which brand is this ? Have not been to SLS for quite a while. Will make a trip there soon.

One of my friend is using Aztech Turbo 900 $233 with SMC Barricade 4-port 10/100 Mbps ($199) with serial interface. I think
I prefer the Ethernet interface from the modem.

well, looks like the prices for modem+router have gone down! check out HWZ for a rough price guide... think can get slightly cheaper if u shop around :)
http://www.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/cat.hwz?countryid=1&cid=176

..NuTs..

$130-$150 looks good to me, especially if it includes firewall & print server ;) Which brand is this ? Have not been to SLS for quite a while. Will make a trip there soon.

One of my friend is using Aztech Turbo 900 $233 with SMC Barricade 4-port 10/100 Mbps ($199) with serial interface. I think
I prefer the Ethernet interface from the modem.

Originally posted by nuts
well, looks like the prices for modem+router have gone down! check out HWZ for a rough price guide... think can get slightly cheaper if u shop around :)
http://www.hardwarezone.com/priceguide/cat.hwz?countryid=1&cid=176

..NuTs..

Thanks ! Looks like the Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch ($118) and the SMC7004ABR - Barricade™ 4-Port 10/100Mbps Broadband Router ($179) are the most popular.

Now that I have almost decided on the router, I have to pick an Ethernet ADSL modem. What is the main differences btw the different price ADSL modems ?

PI is offering Aztech Turbo 305E DSL modem at $91.52 while a few uses here bought the Aztech ADSL Turbo 900E modem at $190 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.