DSC V1 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekeen

Dec 5, 2002
SIN
Visit site
Hi,

Are there any V1 users out there ? Care to comment on the functionalities on this camera ?

Good day.

Just took my V1 out last night to Chinese Gardens. Surprised to see many digicam users. Spotted 1 V1, a P10 and lots of Olympus users.

Anyway V1 produces some decent pictures. I "graduated" from a coolpix 2500 and I found that the V1 takes some time to get used to. A bit "complicated" somewhat. Here's some comments on the quality.

Non-flash, slow shutter shots are very good! I'm surprised I can even hand-hold a 1 second shot producing sharp photos.

As for focusing at night, always turn on the IR focusing matrix. Without it, nightframing or focusing on dark forground object is only 50-50. Always use the segment autofocus, the largest focus zone for best results.

Slow-sync requires subject to be really still, if not very blurry.

Program mode works best for most situations. I shot almost entirely in "P" mode and sometimes switching to "Nightframing"

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results. Alwayss check by zooming in on your pics to check sharpness. This cam is really an excellent night shooting camera. The "nightframing" is an excellent tool and leaves all the framing guesswork on all pooly lit subjects.

Thanks Aandw for the comments .... considering to get this cam for the size and functionalities.

Oh...I forgot to mention that the flash exposures are quite even and well balanced. No red eyes or overly harsh tones.

BTW if you are getting it, remember to get and extra battery and a bigger MS, at least 128MB!

Hi

May I know how long is the batt life?

Rgds

Fully charged should give you at least about 100 shots. I used a lot of the internal flash and the IR for nightframing so I guess if you use that sparingly you should get much more than that. Just get the extra battery for longer trips.

aandw said:
Just took my V1 out last night to Chinese Gardens. Surprised to see many digicam users. Spotted 1 V1, a P10 and lots of Olympus users.

Anyway V1 produces some decent pictures. I "graduated" from a coolpix 2500 and I found that the V1 takes some time to get used to. A bit "complicated" somewhat. Here's some comments on the quality.

Non-flash, slow shutter shots are very good! I'm surprised I can even hand-hold a 1 second shot producing sharp photos.

As for focusing at night, always turn on the IR focusing matrix. Without it, nightframing or focusing on dark forground object is only 50-50. Always use the segment autofocus, the largest focus zone for best results.

Slow-sync requires subject to be really still, if not very blurry.

Program mode works best for most situations. I shot almost entirely in "P" mode and sometimes switching to "Nightframing"

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the results. Alwayss check by zooming in on your pics to check sharpness. This cam is really an excellent night shooting camera. The "nightframing" is an excellent tool and leaves all the framing guesswork on all pooly lit subjects.

I intend to get this cam but after read the dpreview's review on this cam, these two things stop me, do you have problem with them?

1) Blue cast whitebalance--

dpreview state that V1 suffer from blue cast in outdoor shot, do you notice this problem with your cam?

2) Under expose flash shot --

Flash shot in low light situation(like in restaurant) is it bright enough or you always have to adjust higher flash compensation like +0.5EV?

I don't face any blue cast problems. In fact if you set the WB to auto, the colour is pretty good. If your really worried about the WB, you can still set it to manual or custom and go from there. Usually I just adjust it in Photoshop if I need to bring up some colours for effect.

The flash quite good. I've shot in P mode with no exposure compensation, the shot was a long table withpeople seated all around it. Very dark room. Flash at normal power. Everyone from the head to the table to the very rear end (abt 12 feet away) were well exposed.

Hope this helps

aandw said:
I don't face any blue cast problems. In fact if you set the WB to auto, the colour is pretty good. If your really worried about the WB, you can still set it to manual or custom and go from there. Usually I just adjust it in Photoshop if I need to bring up some colours for effect.

The flash quite good. I've shot in P mode with no exposure compensation, the shot was a long table withpeople seated all around it. Very dark room. Flash at normal power. Everyone from the head to the table to the very rear end (abt 12 feet away) were well exposed.

Hope this helps

thanks for the reply :) That certainly help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.