Dsc-p73

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizmei

Jun 22, 2004
Hi,

Sony is currently having some Mid Year Promotion and looking at the catalogue, DSC-P73 seems to have pretty good specifications and very reasonable price (considering the freebies). However, there doesn't seem to have much discussion about it. Why is that so? Does anyone own it? Any comments about it?

I'm considering between the P73 and Ixus 430 but P73 seems to have an advantage cos it's cheaper... And I'm also not particular with manual functions and all that cos I'll simply take pictures without much of those fancy jazz. Does anyone have any feedback on these 2 models?

And lastly, the memory sticks. What's the difference when comparing Memory stick, memory stick PRO, memory stick duo and memory stick PRO duo?

Thanx in advance! :lovegrin:

Will you consider adding about slightly more then $100 for excellent cameras like the P100 and W1? I have never used or owned the P73, but I can tell you the P100 is an excellent point and shoot. Virtualy no shutter lag and the start-up time is so fast, there isn't time for me to say wow. You will also get a Carl Zeiss lens. A slightly bigger LCD at the back, but almost double the resolution.

You can read up everything about memorysticks at the link below.

http://www.memorystick.com/en/index.html

But P100 and W1 are at least 200 bucks more expensive than P73! (according to the Sony catalogue) whoa... And I reckon I don't need such a pro camera with 5mp. Yeah, think the quick start up time is one of the advantages I guess, because according to the Sony catalogue, it says "1.3 Secs Quick Start-up" for both P100 and W1 yet no mention of it for P73. Heh!

Thanx for clarifying my queries about the memory sticks!

I'm hoping someone who owns P73 will promote their cam. :)

actually mizmei, you can get much better prices at shops in Sim Lim Sq like Song Brothers or Alan Photo, and Cathay Photo in Peninsula. Much cheaper prices than the sony catalogues. I would actually recommend the W1 as it uses the AA batteries like the P73. The thing with digital cameras is that once you get to know the limitations of the current camera you own, you'll get the urge to upgrade to something better.

My friend got the W1 at about $650 at song brothers, with a 128MB MS bundled free.
Quite a good price if you compare it to the P73 sony price, plus you probably need to get an additional Memory stick with the P73.

The W1 is essentially a Point and shoot camera as well that works fully auto, but with some added (limited) manual functions which you can opt not to use until you feel comfortable with it :) So i think getting a camera you can grow into would probably be a better choice :p

Woa. I didn't know the P73 is so cheap. Do reconsider getting the P73 and try budgeting for a W1 or P100 instead. The start-up time, shutter lag speed, carl zeiss lens and high res LCD screen are definitely worth the extra dollars.

As for whether it's W1 or P100, it's up to the individual taste. Technically, the P100 is capable of a smaller aperture, flash white balance and 9 scene modes compared to the 6 scenes on the W1. The P100 is slightly longer, but slimmer and shorter making it more pocketable. It comes in IMO very nice red and blue. The W1 on the other hand has got a very nice 2.5" LCD. If none of the above intrest you, then go for the 2.5" LCD screen.

You'll probably need to set aside some money for a 256mb card, or better still, ask the shop for an offer to topup a little more for a 256 mb pro card. You can get a rough guide of memorystick street prices from the link below.

http://www.massorder.com/shop/default.php?cPath=19_21&osCsid=63e77909361a45ab28dcddc549039c01

Okie I'll keep all these tips in mind. Thanx guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.