Drybox..

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkai21

Sep 13, 2006
Hello,

Im thinking of getting Fuji 9500 and a dry box. I heard that putting it in a Airtight Tupperware and some silica gel (dunno how to spell) inside might work it out right?

BTW, how much is a drybox? I'm seriously new to this...

Thanks! :lovegrin:

Hello,

Im thinking of getting Fuji 9500 and a dry box. I heard that putting it in a Airtight Tupperware and some silica gel (dunno how to spell) inside might work it out right?

Get a proper dry cabinet and forget totally about containers with sillica gel cos photographic equipment needs to be kept in a relative humidity (RH) level between 45% - 55% in which sillica gels cannot regulate.

Dry cabinets have different capacities ranging from 20 litres to as much as 1000 litres so depending on how much additional accessories u'll be buying then get the appropriate size for it. Usually a 60L or 70L one will suffice. Price ranging around $160 to $200 for this.

Hello,

forget about all the dry box, dry cab if you are just want to keep that camera.
Just keep it anywhere and take it out and play once in a while.

I agree with the suggestion. If you're serious about protecting your equipment (even if you're not serious about photography), I would recommend a dry cabinet which will keep the humidity level of your camera at the right level. There is a small 30L model which goes for $99 if you do not want to get a big one. Good luck.

I agree with the suggestion. If you're serious about protecting your equipment (even if you're not serious about photography), I would recommend a dry cabinet which will keep the humidity level of your camera at the right level. There is a small 30L model which goes for $99 if you do not want to get a big one. Good luck.

Thank you all for your sugesstion! How does a dry cabinet works? Does it requires electric?

Hi! It uses electricity to run the electronic demuhumidifier in the cabinet. The 30L cabinet uses only 5w of electricity. You can find some at Carrefour Dhoby Ghaut on display. You can also visit their website at www.digihub.com.sg. Good luck.

Thank you all for your sugesstion! How does a dry cabinet works? Does it requires electric?

Think that 30L version is (way) more then enough for your type of camera which has no interchangeable lens..etc. Don't go buying what the other adviser mentioned about a a 60L or 70L. That is really OVERKILL unless you are a cameras and lens collector. And like sitting infront of it and oogle at them like fishes in a fish tank.

How often would you use the camera? That is a important question too. Your room air con? I have been playing with SLRs and DSLRs for way too long. I have yet to buy a dry cabinet that is more then 30L and even then these days...it is collecting dust in the corner of my room holding 2 old nikkor AIS lens that is already junk spoilt. :) My D70 which is into it's 2.5 yrs...and it has never seen even a tupperware container heheh. Why? I keep it in my drawer at the office or in my room which has the air con when I am home. Also I always use my camera and it always am with me in my bag about 1 week for every 4 weeks. As I handle it often, I guess it gives fungus little time to settle and start growing. I have yet to have a fungus in my lens too. I do take them out to clean them every month ( yes I do invest the time in giving them a good clean up every month or so) but that is a DSLR....yours is a fully seal camera with only one zoom lens permanantly attached. It is more enviromentally sealed compared to mine. I still have a PnS Sony S70 3.2 megapixel which is still fine and has no fungus nor show sign that fungus or whatever has gotten inside and attack the sensor. Should you get a dry cabinet or just an air tight camera box with some silicon? Well I think if you use your camera often enough for NOW...you should just get some silicon pads and place them in a tupperware at the very least heheh if not a air tight camera box. And store it under your bed or some dark place. But if you really want to get abit more protective of your investment and you habour thoughts of selling it for a higher value later ( you wish)when you get tired of it then by all means get the 30L dry cabinet. heheh okay abit tougue in cheek there but you get the point. Don't just take all our view as the means to make your choice. Go google some sites, get some pro and cons on what works best for your situation. They all will work but it also depends on how you use your gear, how often and what your mindset is all about. Some people are really anal about what they buy and how they use it and some well if you bought it you just use it and if it gets spoilt...well it will spoilt...sometime after years and years of use before it does or you do something dumb and drop it down a cliff by accident heh. Life's like that sometimes you can't predict what will happen to you or your camera. For me...I treat the camera as tool to be use, yes it needs to be taken care of to ensure it does give me a fair amount of use and reliability...but beyond that...your investment really has a dimishing of return. It is more a mental game and your well being. That is just my thots :)

Buy dry cab if you treasure your camera. Also, you can keep you precious CD/DVD, nostalgic slide/negative, etc.

Regards,
Arto.

Dry cabinet is the choice :D Drybox is probabaly for portability:cool:

gt a digicab 70L around 2 weeks plus ago for $168, even come with a free camera cleaning kit. can order by giving them a call, n no delivery charges.

Cool thanks!!!

To understand and have a feel on which size is right for you, you can pop into Carrefour when you are in Suntec. They are also selling drycabi at basement.

Ok thanks! Does those drycabs looks like those for wines? Does they function the same way?

Wow! I haven't got my dry box yet. Looks like I need to rush to get one! Else my lenses and my camera will grow fungus soon.

Wow! I haven't got my dry box yet. Looks like I need to rush to get one! Else my lenses and my camera will grow fungus soon.

My equipment are stored inn my cam bag for over a year until i got mine recently. Fortunately no fungus at all.

yup
if u hav quite abit of gear...i suggest a nice dry cab...u may change ya cameras over the years but the cab is there to stay man

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.