Drybox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipha

Oct 17, 2006
Another newbies question and sorry about that. Is it a must to have a dry box and how the box help to protect my camera? How much does one cost? Presently, i stuff everything into the EOS bag. Thanks

Another newbies question and sorry about that. Is it a must to have a dry box and how the box help to protect my camera? How much does one cost? Presently, i stuff everything into the EOS bag. Thanks

Do a search in future... this has been discussed loads of times...

A dry box is to keep humidity at a fixed level... preferably at about 45% to prevent fungus from growing on the lenses and to keep the electronics in tip top condition. Do beware that too low a humidity level may cause the rubbers to dry out and also may cause lubrication of certain motors to dry up and reduce optimum working quality.

Cost depends on the brand and size... certain promotions can also drive the prices down.

Cheers,

Do a search in future... this has been discussed loads of times...

A dry box is to keep humidity at a fixed level... preferably at about 45% to prevent fungus from growing on the lenses and to keep the electronics in tip top condition. Do beware that too low a humidity level may cause the rubbers to dry out and also may cause lubrication of certain motors to dry up and reduce optimum working quality.

Cost depends on the brand and size... certain promotions can also drive the prices down.

Cheers,

Thanks for the information.

Dry box usually use silica gel (which is contain blue cobalt chloride as a humidity indicator, known as carcinogen agent) to absorb moisture on air.

Another way is to use Thirsty Hippo instead of silica gel. Thirsty Hippo is known to bring humidity level inside dry box below 30%RH. Too low for photography gear, which is 40-50%RH. And thirsty hippo become a liquid when it absorb humidity, liquid/water and photography gears doesn't mix.

The best solution is to use Dry Cabinet, which is use electricity to bring down humidity level to desire level (40-50%RH). Depends on price, it can be a simple dry cab with dehumidifier unit (and trial and error to set the humidity level inside dry cab), or pricey one (pro series) with controller to maintain humidity at fixed level.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.