DryBox: Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachang26

Feb 21, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all, just got my set up (2nd-Hand F90x with 2nd-hand Micro 60mm & 135 mm (zoom):-

any suggestions for a dty cabinet for them?
i am looking for a small one.
Tangs? Carrefour?
any particular brand to look for or ot avoid?
Someone mentioned taht i shld not get those that produce heat ... (if it doesn't produce heat, how to get rid of the moisture??) :dunno:

not too sure but there is one on offer at Carrefour right now at $88.00.

Have no idea whether it is good or not and I am asking for feedback also.

Hi,

I've bought the $88 Dry box from Carrefour.

Brand : Am-Pro
Model : AD-030
Capacity : 30L
Dim : 36x35x51cm (Ext)

Just to share some comments:

Pro:
- cabinet well built, solid coated mild-steel?
- front door comes with lock and magnetise sides
- large glass front w/ temp/hum dial counter
- user selectable humidity level
- auto cut-off once desired humidifying level is achieved
- 13Amp direct plug in (no adapter needed)
- adjustable (one) leg to level the cabinet

Cons:
- 2 plastic shelves, not so sturdy but does the job
Hint: use some blue tack to hold the tiny plastic studs in place
- dehumdifying unit is large thus preventing the top shelve from going higher though there are more notches for the plastic studs

Overall comments:
Well built with strong magnetic hold to seal door properly. Able to accommodate 2 SLR body, 1-3 lenses, large flash, some filters, films etc.

Good buy at that price. No regrets buying. Fits my need for the moment. More worth than the 40L $168 version (you can almost buy 2x30L ones)

Just my humble comments. Pls don't take my word for it, go and have a look for yourself. ;)

Originally posted by mpenza
the price has really dropped by $11!
the price dropped by $11??? so it's $77 now instead? hmm... time for me to invest in a drybox instead of my airtight box now. :rbounce:

heheheh...like wat most ppl around here will say:

BUY!! BUY!! BUY!! ;)

A drybox is a good investment.

went to check out Tangs: the smallest size that they are selling goes for S$169 but it has a 5 yr warranty on 'drying parts and labour'
is it worth paying S$81 (compared to the Ad-030 )more for the warranty? :thumbsd: :thumbsup: :what:

any thoughts on this?

How many liters is this? (ie. how big is this?)

Originally posted by kachang26
went to check out Tangs: the smallest size that they are selling goes for S$169 but it has a 5 yr warranty on 'drying parts and labour'
is it worth paying S$81 (compared to the Ad-030 )more for the warranty? :thumbsd: :thumbsup: :what:

any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by kachang26

any thoughts on this?

Carrefour one is also 5 years warranty.

The Toyo Living ones are good. There are 2 in my home, and they have performed well and haven't needed any servicing yet..

The Am-Pro one however, has been nothing but headaches. In short, two service trips, and now won't go below 70% RH.

The Toyo Living ones are good. There are 2 in my home, and they have performed well and haven't needed any servicing yet..

yslee: where did you get them and at what price?
i juz need a small one...

thanks.:bwhat:

Originally posted by YSLee

The Am-Pro one however, has been nothing but headaches. In short, two service trips, and now won't go below 70% RH.
Your story is scary. How abt the other users here? Need your comments.

Just came back from Tangs, here are some Dry Boxes on sale there: (Value Dry Boxes - Made in Singapore)

Model: VDB-550
Capactity: 43L
Size: 45(H) X 37(D) X (40W)
RH range: 25% - 60%
Shelves: 1
Power: 220V
Warrenty: 5 years on drying unit
Price: $169

Model: VDB-600
Capactity: 56L
Size: 45(H) X 45(D) X (40W)
Price: $199

Model: VDB-800
Capactity: 78L
Size: 59(H) X 45(D) X (40W)
Shelves: 2
Price: $299

Model: VDB-808W
Capactity: 80L
Size: 46(H) X 45(D) X (53.5W)
Price: $269

BUY! BUY! BUY!!

Originally posted by revenant
Just wondering if it is a MUST to get drybox for digicam?
well it's not a die-die must get kinda MUST but it's good practice to keep any kinda photog gear nice and dry.

i mean it's common sense lor - if you paid like $300 for a digicam, then spending $150 to get a dry box is a bit boh liao. but if you've forked out like $3000, including additional lens and stuff, then it only makes sense to protect your money's worth. generally the more glass elements your equipment has, the more impt it is to protect it from fungus and dust. that applies to videocams as well.

if you don't wanna invest in a dry cabinet, get one of those airtight boxes and dump some of those blue silica gel things in. those are cheap, works perfectly well and you can get a big bottle for $6-7 each at any camera shop. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by YSLee
argh jia lat i just bought the one on offer from Carrefour! how bad issit? anything to watch out for? i can still return the pruchase if it's really not worth it...

anyone else used Am-Pro before? good/bad experience? i thought for that price ($88), it was a pretty good buy. :cool:

Originally posted by firefox13
well it's not a die-die must get kinda MUST but it's good practice to keep any kinda photog gear nice and dry.

i mean it's common sense lor - if you paid like $300 for a digicam, then spending $150 to get a dry box is a bit boh liao. but if you've forked out like $3000, including additional lens and stuff, then it only makes sense to protect your money's worth. generally the more glass elements your equipment has, the more impt it is to protect it from fungus and dust. that applies to videocams as well.

if you don't wanna invest in a dry cabinet, get one of those airtight boxes and dump some of those blue silica gel things in. those are cheap, works perfectly well and you can get a big bottle for $6-7 each at any camera shop. :thumbsup:

hmm...... ok

So, what's the blue silica gel for? Can I just put it in a dry box?

Status
Not open for further replies.