drybox moisture (RH) level

AlphaLuver

Nov 2, 2008
9gag.com
www.facebook.com
Hi, just wondering, my dry box usually goes down to just over 25% and it takes really a long time to go down from 50% to that level. Is this normal? Or is the dehumidfying unit spoiling? It had been on continuously for the past 3 or more years.

I'm planning to get thise silica gels to 'assist' my dry box. Is this recommandable?

Hi, just wondering, my dry box usually goes down to just over 25% and it takes really a long time to go down from 50% to that level. Is this normal? Or is the dehumidfying unit spoiling? It had been on continuously for the past 3 or more years.

I'm planning to get thise silica gels to 'assist' my dry box. Is this recommandable?

Why on earth are you setting your dry cabinet at 25%? You should be at 45-55%.

xersion said:
25% is very low.. recommend setting is 45-55%

Wth, i thought 25 is what it should be like cus its factory setting. Whenever i comes back from overseas i'll get paranoid seeing the needle move to 50+++. Lol. My understanding - for the past years - is RH% = speed of mould growth therefore lower (down to 0%) is better. Is that wrong? Pls enlighten me.

25% do more harm than good. try to lessen the dehumidifying agent (what did you use anyway?) thats why it is hard to go up at 45-50%. Or open the dry box for 30mins let outside air go in, then close it. Observed the readings now and then.

I was doing this for 1 year, until I got my 30L Digi-cabi... never looked backed since then in terms of convenience.

Wth, i thought 25 is what it should be like cus its factory setting. Whenever i comes back from overseas i'll get paranoid seeing the needle move to 50+++. Lol. My understanding - for the past years - is RH% = speed of mould growth therefore lower (down to 0%) is better. Is that wrong? Pls enlighten me.

if you keep 25%, the lubricants or grease inside you camera would dry up (imaging a car running without oil). Not only that the rubber on your camera would dry up as well and crack. I guess 50++ is till not bad, if its not for a long time.

I was on this road before, but after getting my Digi-cabi... convenience is at hand.

25% do more harm than good. try to lessen the dehumidifying agent (what did you use anyway?) thats why it is hard to go up at 45-50%. Or open the dry box for 30mins let outside air go in, then close it. Observed the readings now and then.

I was doing this for 1 year, until I got my 30L Digi-cabi... never looked backed since then in terms of convenience.

oh ****. I've notice some small little 'cracks' or 'gaps' on my camera body recently. Could this be causing it? Im using A350 and the gaps are at the 'tectonic plates' (for a lack of proper word) between the flash and the flash button.

Im not using any agents, just the dry box's dehumidifying unit, which the setting came as it is from the factory, so i just plug-and-play.

if you keep 25%, the lubricants or grease inside you camera would dry up (imaging a car running without oil). Not only that the rubber on your camera would dry up as well and crack. I guess 50++ is till not bad, if its not for a long time.

I was on this road before, but after getting my Digi-cabi... convenience is at hand.

If the stuff u mentioned is indeed dried up is there anything showing which i can determine from? Are they repairable?

AlphaLuver said:
oh ****. I've notice some small little 'cracks' or 'gaps' on my camera body recently. Could this be causing it? Im using A350 and the gaps are at the 'tectonic plates' (for a lack of proper word) between the flash and the flash button.

Im not using any agents, just the dry box's dehumidifying unit, which the setting came as it is from the factory, so i just plug-and-play.

What comes as "factory setting" might not be for camera equipment. The box can be use for anything from camera equipment to chemicals to tea leaves. You should follow the humidity on your instruction manual instead.

AlphaLuver said:
If the stuff u mentioned is indeed dried up is there anything showing which i can determine from? Are they repairable?

The rubber parts can be replace, you have to pay for it of course

What comes as "factory setting" might not be for camera equipment. The box can be use for anything from camera equipment to chemicals to tea leaves. You should follow the humidity on your instruction manual instead.

That the problem. I did try to look for it in the manual but it didn't state anything.

The rubber parts can be replace, you have to pay for it of course

Approximately how much does it cost? But is there any tell-tale sign that i should replace them? Please help.. i think i f'ed up my A350 this time round with my over-concern with moulding.

That the problem. I did try to look for it in the manual but it didn't state anything.
Then the next place to look is the camera manual, followed by Google and other sources. Do you leave your TV also on factory settings..?

Then the next place to look is the camera manual, followed by Google and other sources. Do you leave your TV also on factory settings..?

mate, I bet you googled how to use your bathtub. Did you google how to use a thumbdrive? or did you googled or asked friends how to walk?

edit: nah, i won't google what volume to set on my TV
edit2: and if you got nothing better to say for this noob here's knowledge, pls don't click that reply button.

Last edited:
I keep mine between 40-55%..

i thot i heard tt atmospheric RH will also affect RH in the dry boxes and dry cabs..

Prince Photogenic said:
i thot i heard tt atmospheric RH will also affect RH in the dry boxes and dry cabs..

Relative humidity is the amount of moisture in the air at that point of time. Your surrounding rh might be whatever, but inside the dry cabinet, if it says 45%, it means 45%. If your country is very humid, however, it'll just be harder to get your desired setting as the dehumidifier has to work a lot harder.

thanks!!! i've managed to adjust mine to 40ish. What happens that's the RH my air-con'ed room is at!

Your dry cabinet is not airtight, sealed and whatnot. Also, there must be a way how humidity gets out of the box, right? There is no motor, pump or other stuffs. It's a simple piece of sponge that leads the condensed water out into the room. And this very same way also allows humidity to creep back and affect the inside RH. Feel free to read this posting: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/gene...many-postings-truth-myth-humidity-levels.html - and relax.

Valkarian said:
Relative humidity is the amount of moisture in the air at that point of time. Your surrounding rh might be whatever, but inside the dry cabinet, if it says 45%, it means 45%. If your country is very humid, however, it'll just be harder to get your desired setting as the dehumidifier has to work a lot harder.

Octarine said:
Your dry cabinet is not airtight, sealed and whatnot. Also, there must be a way how humidity gets out of the box, right? There is no motor, pump or other stuffs. It's a simple piece of sponge that leads the condensed water out into the room. And this very same way also allows humidity to creep back and affect the inside RH. Feel free to read this posting: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/general-tech-talk/1028856-so-many-postings-truth-myth-humidity-levels.html - and relax.

Sorry, I should have phrased my post better. Because Alphalurver said his air con is at 45%, I just wanted to see if the his dry cab 45% reading could have been caused by the low atmospheric RH when his air con his on. Just thought that if he doesn't switch on his air con for a period of time, say a week, would it be possible that his dry cab RH will rise above 55%, encouraging unwanted visitors?