Dry Cabinets: Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

montroy

Feb 24, 2009
Tried to look for a cabinet with temperature control but only those cheap-looking-mass-produced-quality-dubious-made-in-china ones I could find. Can anyone recommend me one of decent range? Because my cabinet is placed in the bedroom with aircon, each time I take out my camera/len, it fogs up and I'm quick anal about cleaning fogged lenses (wiping with my T-shirt is WRONG!!). please help me folks.!

Why don't you simply move the cabinet not facing the aircon directly and up the temperature to 24 degree. That way it won't fog and saves electricity of the aircon.

Are you keeping polar bears at home. :bsmilie:

Tried to look for a cabinet with temperature control but only those cheap-looking-mass-produced-quality-dubious-made-in-china ones I could find. Can anyone recommend me one of decent range? Because my cabinet is placed in the bedroom with aircon, each time I take out my camera/len, it fogs up and I'm quick anal about cleaning fogged lenses (wiping with my T-shirt is WRONG!!). please help me folks.!

My aircon is at 24 and I never get fogged lenses. How cold are you setting your aircon?

Otherwise, you have a few options:

1. Let the condensation clear up naturally.
2. Move your drycabinet outside your bedroom.
3. Stop keeping a penguin breeding ground in your bedroom.

If your cabinet is regulating properly, the temperature inside should be hovering around the room temp.... weird.

hm, i'm not keeping any penguins/polar bears but the aircon is set at 22. just this morning, the cabinet reads 19. i have an external hygrometer that reads temp and i placed it in the cabinet, exact same reading.

Relocate your dry cabinet to another room without air con.

You spend money and energy to get your bedroom cold and then you want to spend more money and energy to warm up the cabinet again? What sense does this make? As mentioned, move out your cabinet into unmanaged climate zone.
Not sure whether there is any dry cabinet with temperature control - but at least you won't find it under 'photographic accessories'. Reason: cameras don't need managed temperature. Have a look for medical equipment dealers, or archiving storage as used in museums etc. - there you'll get full climate control for RH and temperature. But I guess it will cost a few bucks more.

hm, i'm not keeping any penguins/polar bears but the aircon is set at 22. just this morning, the cabinet reads 19. i have an external hygrometer that reads temp and i placed it in the cabinet, exact same reading.

To me, that's a waste of energy and also your money. Increasing to 24 will already show a noticeable effect on your utility bill.

That means your aircon is not reading the correct temp. Set to 24, or if you want to be more power-saving, 25.

OK to save the equipment from global cooling and to co-exist with the arctic inhabitant, here is one way. Get Damp Chaser tube, available in some DIY, Homefix, maybe Ikea and Courts.
The DampChaser uses warmth to push the moisture out of any cabinets and closets, thus the cabinet must be breathable (not airtight). Measure the volume to match the size of the damp chaser to be purchase. If the surrounding temp is too cold "all the time", you may have to upsize the Damp chaser to maintain cabinet temp.

*Damp Chaser cannot work with minimal ventilated cabinets.

Relocate your dry cabinet to another room without air con.

Ditto.

Anyway my dry cabinets used to be in my bedroom, and i never had the issues with them fogging up, and even if they do they will recover by themselves after a short while

ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.