Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Not quite sure if it's appropriate to ride on this thread but I'm gonna just try my luck.
I bought an Akurui Dry Cabinet (E26D) today to store my Canon 500D but I'm not quite sure on the conditions that will make it suitable i.e. temperature & humidity.

The dial was set on default at Medium but the red light went off a while ago. I've tried twisting the dial around a bit & now the light only comes on when I've set it to Low.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out a little here. Is there anything I'm not doing right etc; I don't quite dare to put my camera in just yet.

Thanks!

The red light is just an indicator that the desiccator is turned on. It is on when the humidity in the cabinet is higher then the set value by the dial. You'll need to depend on the hygrometer to set the %RH and not the red light.

Just do the following:
Open door -> adjust desiccator (the dial) -> close door -> stabilise for 1 hr -> check hygrometer.

Adjust the dial until the hygrometer is between 45-55 %RH when stabilised. If not, repeat the steps. You might also want to consider buying a digital hygrometer to put inside the dry cabinet.

Last edited:
I did try reading the manual but kinda just wanna be sure before putting the camera in.

I think I understand better now.

Thanks all =)

Hi,

Not quite sure if it's appropriate to ride on this thread but I'm gonna just try my luck.
I bought an Akurui Dry Cabinet (E26D) today to store my Canon 500D but I'm not quite sure on the conditions that will make it suitable i.e. temperature & humidity.

The dial was set on default at Medium but the red light went off a while ago. I've tried twisting the dial around a bit & now the light only comes on when I've set it to Low.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out a little here. Is there anything I'm not doing right etc; I don't quite dare to put my camera in just yet.

Thanks!

I bought the same model as you a few days ago. The temperature meter is not very sensitive. The humidity meter works like a charm though. Dropping the room humidity with air-con seems to work faster than putting the camera straight in the dry cabinet. :sticktong

I decided I will turn on the aircon for 15mins before storing my equipment next time. Funny, the box still feels warm as I store it in a corner away from the aircon.

Also, when set to M the red light will turn on when %RH goes above 50.

I bought the same model as you a few days ago. The temperature meter is not very sensitive. The humidity meter works like a charm though. Dropping the room humidity with air-con seems to work faster than putting the camera straight in the dry cabinet. :sticktong

I decided I will turn on the aircon for 15mins before storing my equipment next time. Funny, the box still feels warm as I store it in a corner away from the aircon.

hmm... not sure if u know but the humidity meter (hygrometer) measure relative hudimity to temperature so if u r saying ur temperature meter is not very sensitive then how's the hygrometer gonna be working "like a charm"

turning on the air con will certainly lower the RH, cos the temperature goes down quickly n the air dries, but then the air con also saps several times more power than ur dry cabinet would, so there's really nothing to complain or worry that ur cabinet is taking some time to equlibrate to the set RH.

moreover i see no issues with the dry cabinet taking up to an hr to settle into the right RH cos certaining fugus is NOT gonna start growing within that hr if it does then fugus would also infest ur lens whenever u take it out on a photography trip, which is not the case.

tunge: fully agree with your points. A dry cabinet is a long-term storage equipment. No camera needs "instant drying within 1hr" and using room aircon for a quick push down of RH is a pure waste of energy
Even if the temperature meter seems to be "not very sensitive" - it simply doesn't matter for the camera whether the temperature is 27C or 31C (details see camera manual!). Due to the condensation method used the temperature will be maybe 1C lower inside.

so funny, why do you just put your camera in your dry cabinet, and let the dry cabinet do what it suppose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.