Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cumzball

Sep 11, 2009
Singapore
Hi,

i am new and before i purchase my camera, I would like to know if it's a must to get a dry cabinet?

As I am only at the beginning stage, I would just get a camera to learn n try out before i move on to buying more lens or accessories. Thus is it a must to get a dry cabinet to store the camera?

is there any other way besides using dry cabinet for storage?

Please try a search for "is it a must to get a dry cabinet". You will find a lot of helpful advice from the many people who have contributed to this very very common question.

Getting a dry cabinet does not have anything to do whether you are newbie/beginner or not.
It's a question of whether you want to protect your camera or not. :)

As far as I know, the best way is still to use a dry cabinet to store your camera. The electricity consumption isn't very high anyway.

if u are on budget u can get those air-tight box from shopping centre and place in those thirsty hippo.

John little selling it and last wk they have 20% discount. less then $25 u can get a decent boz for storing your camera body and kit lens.

if you find yourself very comfortable with photography and want to move on to more accessories then you can buy the dry cabinets and can use your air-tight box for other things too. it will not be wasted.

Last edited:
Hi,

i am new and before i purchase my camera, I would like to know if it's a must to get a dry cabinet?

As I am only at the beginning stage, I would just get a camera to learn n try out before i move on to buying more lens or accessories. Thus is it a must to get a dry cabinet to store the camera?

is there any other way besides using dry cabinet for storage?

i'd say spend $100 get a dry cabinet and it's last u for years, they are generally low maintenance. Carrefour sells the analogue Digicabi ones... do a search for Dry Cabinets in the forums

usually people can only understand the important or the "must have" of the dry cabinet after their camera and lenses get infected by fungus.

you have the opportunity to prevent this happen to you, however, the decision it is still up to you.

usually people can only understand the important or the "must have" of the dry cabinet after their camera and lenses get infected by fungus.

you have the opportunity to prevent this happen to you, however, the decision it is still up to you.

Actually the question is dun tink having a dry cabinet is 100% safe dont u agree? There are surely cases of lenses still kena fungus even placed in dry cabinet?

Some recommend Dry Cabinet (AIPO Dry Cabinet)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561686

Of course you'd recommend that... You're the seller. ;)

I'm using the AIPO 38L now... just got it on Sunday. setting it takes 5secs, took about 1-2hrs to reach the 45%RH n have been keeping constant w +1 fluctutations only.

there are cheaper options with the analogue versions from Digicabi but i opted for the AIPO for the convience of a digital hygrometer

Last edited:
Actually the question is dun tink having a dry cabinet is 100% safe dont u agree? There are surely cases of lenses still kena fungus even placed in dry cabinet?

and to add, there are also people who experience no issues with storing their equipment at regular humdity...

so really whether u want to take the risk or have the peace of mind

and to add, there are also people who experience no issues with storing their equipment at regular humdity...

so really whether u want to take the risk or have the peace of mind

My point exactly. Personal view is that i find dry cabinet a waste of electricity thou it's low consumption. I'm referring in terms of environmental concerns and not the minute rise in yr utility bill.

My point exactly. Personal view is that i find dry cabinet a waste of electricity thou it's low consumption. I'm referring in terms of environmental concerns and not the minute rise in yr utility bill.

recommended RH to store camera n lenses is 40-50% according to many articles and books. i follow the recommendations.

so yah there's nothing to convince anyone whether to store our equipment in dry cabinet of in the open. if u think it's a waste of money and adds to global warming then by all means. it's all about choices and preference :)

Then get a solar panel and put it outside. Should be enough to feed your dry cabinet with some modifications on the power connection. But it takes a while to offset the environmental impact of producing a solar panel (semiconductor) compared to the saved energy consumption of 5W. Switching off your computer 15min earlier each day has a more significant impact then any dry cabinet.

HI,
I had an old olympus OM10 and never used a dry cabinet before. What happened after 3 years or so, my lens had fungus. I brought it or cleaning and after a couple of years, the fungus came back. Now I store all my eqpt in dry cabinet just to be safe. I also use it to store my DV video tapes so that they don't have fungus. The cleaning can be more costlier than the dry cabinet.:)

just use some common sense, which has a higher change of getting fungus?

with dry cabinet? or no dry cabinet?

if have dry cabinet and didn't turn on 24/7, or never turn on, or didn't close the door properly, or never set properly, or put inside toilet, is cabinet fault or user fault?

if want to talk about green, 100% green, than shouldn't take up photography as hobby in the first place.

whether is film or digital, it won't be 100% green.

HI,
I had an old olympus OM10 and never used a dry cabinet before. What happened after 3 years or so, my lens had fungus. I brought it or cleaning and after a couple of years, the fungus came back. Now I store all my eqpt in dry cabinet just to be safe. I also use it to store my DV video tapes so that they don't have fungus. The cleaning can be more costlier than the dry cabinet.:)

Then where did you keep yr cam when it got the fungus?

I kept it in the dry cabinet and after switching to digital cameras 5 years ago, never used it again.A few months back I took it out and found that the mirror is stuck. I am throwing it away. Anybody wan to cannibalise it for spares? Now the space has been taken over by the G1.

I kept it in the dry cabinet and after switching to digital cameras 5 years ago, never used it again.A few months back I took it out and found that the mirror is stuck. I am throwing it away. Anybody wan to cannibalise it for spares? Now the space has been taken over by the G1.

i think he is asking where u keep ur lenses b4 u got the dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.