Dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

N15M0

Sep 24, 2007
Hi I just gotten my Canon 40D with a kit lens. I like to know whether it is compulsory to get a dry cabinet?

ya, it is recomended to get a dry cabinet

Hi I just gotten my Canon 40D with a kit lens. I like to know whether it is compulsory to get a dry cabinet?

yes its a need, to keep your camera clean and dry from the humid weather in singapore. u can keep the humidity level between 45-55% for recommended use. :)

I see but does fungus grow on camera or just on the lens? I am not able to get the dry cabinet now because I am going to oversea to study which mean it is not a good idea to get the dry cabinet over here in spore. So during this period where I am in spore is it ok that I keep the camera in the bag?

I see but does fungus grow on camera or just on the lens? I am not able to get the dry cabinet now because I am going to oversea to study which mean it is not a good idea to get the dry cabinet over here in spore. So during this period where I am in spore is it ok that I keep the camera in the bag?

you must understand its the humidity not about keeping the camera where. fungus can grow anywhere :p why not bring overseas and maintain it there instead? It might be feasible to invest something cheap to maintain ur camera while being there than let your entire setup go to waste in a plastic bag. sell the dry cabi before coming back, perhaps you might find that more worthwhile including the photos that you might capture there :D

cheaper alternative, get a dry box and tight seal ur camera inside. heez

Since you only own 40D and kit lens, for short term may be you buy a iCase for the time being. It uses silica gel as the drying agent and cost about $20 in buy and sell. Furthermore, you can carry this little box together with you when you go oversea.

My situation is that I am now in singapore but I am going to oversea to study next Feb. During this period is it advisable to get a temp dry cabinet? Also any dry cabinet to recommend?

get a digi-cabi, which i am using, cheap and good

Digi cabi DB036 (30l) will be good enough for you for a long term, do find one in BnS. However the iCase (10l) tight seal with silica gel will be more portable for your case. Just ensure the hydrometer read about 50%RH, if it hit above 60%RH, you will need to cure the silica gel.

I see thanks. But when I am travelling, I carry my cam in my crumpler bag. Is it ok cos during that period, my cam stays in my bag for weeks.

btw, which country u going to? if the air is relatively dry there , then nvm. actually, fungus dun grow that fast unless the air around is realli "dirty" and the conditions is reali conducive for the growth for fungus. ( just my 5 cents worth)

I would be going to aust to study. Btw if I am going to china to travel for 3-4 weeks is it ok to just leave the camera and lens in my crumpler bag for that period of time?

hey jus somethin to ask since this thread is opened, wad is the best %RH tt i shld my camera at? 20-30% is it ok?

20 % - 30% is too low.

40 % - 50% approximately.

I would be going to aust to study. Btw if I am going to china to travel for 3-4 weeks is it ok to just leave the camera and lens in my crumpler bag for that period of time?

Anyone?

correct me if im wrong guys.. but i think if youre going to use your camera everyday.. then its ok to put it inside your bag if not in use for some hours or one day only... just like pro photojournalist who just put their cam anywhere when resting.....digi cab or dry cabinet is necessary if you wont touch your gadget for quite sometime....

Humidity lvl is low in Australia, doubt you'll need a dry cabinet at all.
I've stayed there for 2yrs, what I've experienced is that stuff like potato chips
can be left opened for 6-8hrs before they even start getting soggy.
Some ppl need lip balm / moisturiser cos of the dry weather.

I did not have a hygrometer to test the actual humidity lvl,
so don't just take my word for it.:bsmilie:

Don't think you should leave your gear in the camera bag for extended periods unless you have a bag of 2 of drying agent there.Even then, make sure the drying agent is in working condition.

If you are shooting everyday, then it's ok to leave the gear in the bag as it's the still damp air of the bag that is conducive for fungus growth.

I see. Thanks. But during tour, I think that I would be using the camera most of the time so I think that it would not be of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.