Dry cabinet - with or without u?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndroo-

Deregistered
Nov 6, 2003
Singapore
Anyone can recommend best method to store camera & stuff without the availability of a dry cabinet?

Ziploc bag + silica gel
Dry box + silica gel

espn said:
Ziploc bag + silica gel
Dry box + silica gel

okie. thanx. err ... where can we buy silica gel? what's the price like? if i just shove em all in a drawer with silica gel, will it be useful?

ndroo said:
okie. thanx. err ... where can we buy silica gel? what's the price like? if i just shove em all in a drawer with silica gel, will it be useful?

After spending that kind of money on your equipment...do you really want to store your camera like that?? :eek: :eek:

coke21 said:
After spending that kind of money on your equipment...do you really want to store your camera like that?? :eek: :eek:

Probably yes! Haha.. but for safety, still got a cabinet.

Is Am-pro a good brand? I've no experience in buying dry cabinets. I saw a 55L one goin at $165 that day. Is that a good price? The 45L one is $135.

sorry for OT

Cheesecake said:
how do u guys store ur equipment on a short oversea trip then?

ziploc + silica? been trying to find the best solution for this problem...

What is a short trip? And the kind of conditions? I was in Afghanistan for 2 weeks. Just kept it in my camera bag. Place was dusty and temp was around 25-28 degrees...but the humidity was relatively low there...

Was in Myanmar for a week. Same thing, just kept it in the bag when not in use..

cheechee said:
Probably yes! Haha.. but for safety, still got a cabinet.

:eek: After spendign that kind of money I won't do that to my equipment...:D

But perhaps its just me....I won't take the chance...bought a dry cabinet.

coke21 said:
What is a short trip? And the kind of conditions? I was in Afghanistan for 2 weeks. Just kept it in my camera bag. Place was dusty and temp was around 25-28 degrees...but the humidity was relatively low there...

Was in Myanmar for a week. Same thing, just kept it in the bag when not in use..

Shanghai, China, next year feb, after Chinese New Year for a total of 2-3wks.

i share the same fear over my equipments being 'fungi-infested'. i understand that the humidity level is pretty low in Shanghai.
thus, most likely i'll keep to the silica gel and the ziploc bag(army S.O.P).

joshkoh said:
Is Am-pro a good brand? I've no experience in buying dry cabinets. I saw a 55L one goin at $165 that day. Is that a good price? The 45L one is $135.

sorry for OT

Do a search on dry cabiners. There has been quite some discussion on it.

Cheers. :D

ndroo said:

Urrr... Silica gel can be bought almost anywhere. Camera shops, electronics shop etc. ~$5 for a 500g bottle.

If you shove them in a drawer, they'll be used up in no time since your drawer's not air tight. In the end it'll be a mess since they are extremely small little irritating balls.

Get a dry box or an air tight food container. Poor some silica gel into a small bag and poke some holes in it, then put your equipment into the box with the pack of silica gel.

Alternatively, you can make some level to lift your equipment in the box and pour the silica gel in so your equipment will sit on a level instead of the gel.

Eventually when they finish absorbing moisture, you will have to change them again.

In the long long run, a cheap dry cabinet is still more feasible. Just plug in and forget about it. :D

Hope it helps.

joshkoh said:

sorry for OT

i started with plastic air tight box and silica gel. Not worth the hassle after a while, and bought my first dry cab. i got the cheapest one i could get my hands on, an Akarui, i think. Can't remember how much.

This year, i finally ran out of space and got another one, a Bossmen. The difference in quality is quite obvious. The Bossmen has magnetic doors that 'grip' when closed, while my cheaper one has to be 'locked' (by turning the key) to ensure it is properly closed, each time i accessed it. The Bossmen also has smoother sliding drawer mechnism and the drawer corners are plastic so that the don't scratch the door when i accidentally close it with the drawer still sticking out.

Fungus takes about 3 months to grow, and UV light kills them - if the camera is used everyday in sunlight, i think fungus won't be a problem.

Cheesecake said:
Shanghai, China, next year feb, after Chinese New Year for a total of 2-3wks.

i share the same fear over my equipments being 'fungi-infested'. i understand that the humidity level is pretty low in Shanghai.
thus, most likely i'll keep to the silica gel and the ziploc bag(army S.O.P).

If the humidty is low then you shouln't have to worry rite? Its the high humidity that you haev to worry abt...

2-3 weeks should be no prob....yah just keep some silica gel in to bag just to be sure I guess....

coke21 said:
If the humidty is low then you shouln't have to worry rite? Its the high humidity that you haev to worry abt...

2-3 weeks should be no prob....yah just keep some silica gel in to bag just to be sure I guess....

ya, just need to seek further reassurance, i guess. ;)

cheers!

coke21 said:

it's a problem of space. i hardly can find space in my room (i'm rentin a room) to put the dry cab. :D

ndroo said:
it's a problem of space. i hardly can find space in my room (i'm rentin a room) to put the dry cab. :D

Ah... I see...well guess we have to make do with what we have.

Hmmm, I rent my storage place at my home to you lah....haha :D (just kidding)

joshkoh said:

sorry for OT
I am quite pleased with my Am-pro. Works like a charm.

My suggestion is to fill those potpourri bags with very fine holes with silica gel and put in my bag overnight. When on the move, these "silica gel bags" go in a small tupperware and left at the resthouse/hotel etc.

I was just wondering, how many of you actually recycle your silica gel? If so, which method do you recommend?

dbcs said:
I am quite pleased with my Am-pro. Works like a charm.

My suggestion is to fill those potpourri bags with very fine holes with silica gel and put in my bag overnight. When on the move, these "silica gel bags" go in a small tupperware and left at the resthouse/hotel etc.

I was just wondering, how many of you actually recycle your silica gel? If so, which method do you recommend?

I read on the net about putting them in the microwave. Do a search, there are quite some articles on it.

HelmetBox said:
I read on the net about putting them in the microwave. Do a search, there are quite some articles on it.

microwave? :O wat if someone accidentally presses a button :D we'll have grilled cameras for dinner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.