Dry cabinet vs lock&lock

Yellow Elephant

Jun 4, 2011
Hi, I just got my first dSLR. Burnt a hole for the body with kit thus am stinging on the dry cabinet.
I bought a big lock&lock; threw in some silica gel; Woah la ... I got myself a diy dry box.
But is this good enough? Or was I silly to think it will works as well? :p

yes it works, if u don't mind the hassle of changing silica gel. It's definitely the way to go for low budget starters. Further down the road u might wana invest in a dry cab for ease of convenience not the mention the 5yrs warranty that comes with it.

Well, a dry cabinet will be better....as you don't have to monitor the humidity every now and then. I would hope that if you have enuf savings, get a dry cabinet...$100+ for a Digi-Cabi 036 (the smallest one at least...), but some would recommend you a larger cabinet for future additional lens. My Digi-Cabi 050 is already running out of space after 6 months..

it's good enough, provided you have enough gel and change them regularly
But I would still recommend a dry cabinet.

if you use your camera often, you won't have to worry about fungus, unless you use it in very wet environment

I'm still using my digi cabi 036 for going to 1 year soon. Still can fit all my equipments, just play a bit of tetris. =)

i just got my digi cabi.. 30L.. for $120.. u should start saving for 1.. its really good n u can use it for many years.

Please... the cabi is only about $100. do you really need to skrimp on this? :sweatsm: how much is the total value of your gear? it's worth keeping them safe right? :bsmilie:

Hi, I just got my first dSLR. Burnt a hole for the body with kit thus am stinging on the dry cabinet.
I bought a big lock&lock; threw in some silica gel; Woah la ... I got myself a diy dry box.
But is this good enough? Or was I silly to think it will works as well? :p
it will work fine till you too lazy, too busy, or forgotten to maintain it.

Please... the cabi is only about $100. do you really need to skrimp on this? :sweatsm: how much is the total value of your gear? it's worth keeping them safe right? :bsmilie:

Heahea, that's true.
Maybe I just need a few weeks to wear off my "spending guilt" ;)
Used to think that a dry cabinet like very waste electricity. But i just checked, it uses 5W power only. That's pretty insignificant!

It will work, somehow. But how do you control the humidity? A few more dollars ($25 - $35, so I heard) for the hygrometer, Silica gel .. and actually the gap to the next proper dry cabinet is very small.

Last edited:
Just get a 30L dry cab. Not that much money for the amount of work it will do for you.

TS...simply forgo the 'Lock&Lock' cos you must take into consideration of the 'Hassle'...what if while pressing/locking the lock&lock&drop:bsmilie:eek:r lock&lock&rock-off the shelve/table:bsmilie: the BEST :thumbsup:way is still the Dry-cabi cos 'hassle-:heart:free' from monitoring and changing and buying$$$ of "sillyical":bsmilie:-gel...!!

Hope my above mentioned helps...Cheers =v=

I'm still using my digi cabi 036 for going to 1 year soon. Still can fit all my equipments, just play a bit of tetris. =)

Tetris! i love the way you put it! so true

Heahea, that's true.
Maybe I just need a few weeks to wear off my "spending guilt" ;)
Used to think that a dry cabinet like very waste electricity. But i just checked, it uses 5W power only. That's pretty insignificant!

they actually use a simple peiltier cell with 2 heat sinks on each side. in fact.. for about $15-20 you could make yr own dry cabinet. go sg road thieves market, buy a 5-10 w hp charger, go ebay buy a $7 peltier element, and get some old heat sinks to stick on eash side!. put a sponge underneath to conduct water away.

basically the peltier gets cold on the inside and water condenses, flows to the sponge, gets pulled to the outside(the hot side) and then is evaporated away.

just abit of FYI if anyone want to make their own =) i ll be making one soon.. just missing the heat sinks atm

Last edited:
Sounds like rocket science to me :p

Tetris! i love the way you put it! so true

they actually use a simple peiltier cell with 2 heat sinks on each side. in fact.. for about $15-20 you could make yr own dry cabinet. go sg road thieves market, buy a 5-10 w hp charger, go ebay buy a $7 peltier element, and get some old heat sinks to stick on eash side!. put a sponge underneath to conduct water away.

basically the peltier gets cold on the inside and water condenses, flows to the sponge, gets pulled to the outside(the hot side) and then is evaporated away.

just abit of FYI if anyone want to make their own =) i ll be making one soon.. just missing the heat sinks atm

U need to find an air-tight box too.. + the hassle to change the sponge from time to time.. money for hygromete..
$100+ in exchange for all that hassle. Should be worth it lol. (Besides, $100 is peanuts compared to what we have spent on the dslr & accessories)

U need to find an air-tight box too.. + the hassle to change the sponge from time to time.. money for hygromete..
$100+ in exchange for all that hassle. Should be worth it lol. (Besides, $100 is peanuts compared to what we have spent on the dslr & accessories)

there's no need to change the sponge. in fact, your dry cap probably has a sponge sitting right under the cooling element too. well, just posted the info for anyone who wants to try =)