Dry Cabinet Storage Patten

Dry Cabinet Storage Patten

Results are only viewable after voting.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi..... was at CP about a week ago. Overheard a Sales person telling a customer that he should keep all his Lense in one dry cabinet & his Camera in another.

This kind of makes sense......

But since most ppl I know of, only have 1 dry cabinet to put all our stuff in...... would like to know how many here does practice what the Sales person suggested.....

I, for 1, can't afford the space or money to have 2 dry cabinet..... so, all my gears - Camera body, Lense, CF Cards, Flash, camera cleaning stuff, remote.... etc - are put into that one cabinet....... :sweat:

what is the reason?

Was too far away to hear that part..... :embrass:

But I'm think it had to do with the best condition for keeping Lense and Camera Body are slightly difference......

Which is why I think it does makes sense..... if one could afford it.....

I don't agree unless one has super sophisticated equipment and expensive equipment to preserve at specific conditions. The primary purpose of the dry cabinet is to prevent fungus growth. Unless the customer owns very expensive sophisticated camera systems, the salesman is probably more interested in his commissions. For the normal man-in-the-streets needs like me, I will buy a second dry cabinet if the current one run out of space and I just need another to supplement it. Another questions to ask is "Are there anyone who used a single dry cabinet and found that it spoilt their equipment which could have been prevented if they have a scond one?"

I recently added another dry cabinet to my existing one. I then transfer only camera body, lenses n video camera onto the new one. The old one, use for tapes, add-on lenses etc... At least I know where are my things are kept but both setting almost the same lor. :)

Is the main reason more commission? :bsmilie:

I dun think there is any problem to keep lenses and body together, since most of us had been doing it for so long. I dun think the setting for the lenses and camera are different. :)

Hi..... was at CP about a week ago. Overheard a Sales person telling a customer that he should keep all his Lense in one dry cabinet & his Camera in another.

This kind of makes sense......

But since most ppl I know of, only have 1 dry cabinet to put all our stuff in...... would like to know how many here does practice what the Sales person suggested.....

I, for 1, can't afford the space or money to have 2 dry cabinet..... so, all my gears - Camera body, Lense, CF Cards, Flash, camera cleaning stuff, remote.... etc - are put into that one cabinet....... :sweat:

Only makes sense to the salesperson. ;)

everything in, I have only so much $$ for my entire budget. Besides, my lenses aren't 1 meter long..haha

Dry cabinet only use for storage to keep items you don't use very often. If you use your DSLR everyday and clean/maintain regularly, you don't even bother keeping it in the dry cabinet. Just keep it in the bag ready to go.

Up till now..... we have 15 person in the poll. Which 2 said they keep their Camera & Lense in 2 separate dry cabinate.....

Could any of those 2 Bro/Sis gives us a reason...... Thxs :thumbsup:

I'm keeping my Linhnof Technikardan, Hasselblad 503 and my trusted M6 TTL, all in 1 cabinet. Cathay salesmen are all but salesman. If you buy more from them, they will say "good", but you have to think about it. IMHO, they are just slightly better than those in Sim Lim Square, minus the unreasonable remarks

I think the environment that is needed by camera body and lenses are very similar so there should not be any compelling reason why they should be kept separately. Unless you are keeping other items such as stamps in the cabinet which requires different humidity level as to the camera equipment, then it might make sense to keep them separately.

The only reason I can think of is that if you keep the body and lenses separately, you don't have to open the cabinet so often and therefore the humidity level will not fluctuate that much. It is just like your fridge on keeping the coldness.

I think it is just sales.

opening and closing the dry cabinet is inevitable, the fluctuations have minimal impact unless when you open there is some rain falling into it . If so worried about fluctuation then the best is one dry cabi for each lens :sweat:

I am also keeping everything including Camera Body, Lenses, Video cam, CFs, flash, tapes in one cabinet since the humidity level is the same. It does not make any significant differences for cam and lens to be kept separately unless you are adding a second one when first cabinet runs out of space - it may make sense to separate them :)

If we have basic understanding of the dry cabinet usage, I don't think we can be chop easily by the sales tactic. IMO

Always take wat a sales person say with some caution. I was at e WD booth e other day, n he keep complaining how seagate HD screw his Mac. Well to non pc users, i wud say his words can go a long way but to others it's just a way for him to win support for his product without but facts and data to back it up.

Niwae back to e dry cabinet. i cannot understand y is there a need. e logic behind camera n lens having separate humidity? For ideal situation of course u wan e best but sometimes it's abt being practical or just paranoid. If u'r tokin abt infected lens with fungus n need to use separate cabinet, i wud probably agree 100% but his statement makes me wonder how true.

I think not only issue of money also issue of space.... like the place i'm staying in now.... where to find space for a 2nd dry cabi??