dry cabinet spoil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

faa

Jun 25, 2004
www.flickr.com
woke up few days ago and realised that my dry cabinet of almost 4 years (bought in feb 2005) decided to stop functioning! the lights are gone and the humidity shot up to 60plus percent..

sians.. is the life span of a dry cabinet (electronic one) ard 4 years?

not sure if its worth it to repair or simply buy a new one.. need some advice!!

thanks!

It suppose to have 5 yrs warranty rite?

Wow.. Exact same situation as me...

realised a few days ago that my dry cabinet's humidity is constantly at 60++.. Decide to take a closer look today, and the lights are dead... Only thing is, my cabinet is only one yr old >_<

Which brand and model??

prices now are much higher than before... so check back with the company.

:think: a reminder for me to go check back on all my dry cabis

my dry cabinet had the same problem few years back. . . i call up the agent and was ask to removed the drying unit from the cabinet and send for service. . . although i do not had the receipt with me the agent service for me . . . the brand of my unit is Derox. . . may be u can call the agent to check. . . gd luck

It's quite easy to replace the condenser unit in DigiCab models. Just 6 screws and that's it. You only need to bring the warranty card (filled in!) and the unit, they replace on the spot. Only drawback: the service center is a bit outside: Tagore Lane.

Like what Octarine said, u just need to remove the condenser unit and bring it for service. Sometimes, it's not the unit that's spoilt; it's just the power supply. For me, my dry cabinet hasn't been working for quite some time and I was lazy to dismantle the condenser unit. So it wasn't working for a really long time. Then one day I got down to it, brought the condenser unit and the power adaptor to Tagore Lane (DigiHub) for an inspection. Apparently, only the power adaptor was spoilt. DigiHub offered me their adaptor at $15, which would've solved the issue.

But I didn't get it. =P I went to Sim Lim Tower to look for an adaptor with the same sized plug, same voltage output and same current output. Found one for $8, and it works as it should! =) So now my dry cabinet's working again!

wahh not free to go down to the service centre leh.. is it advisable to insert silica gel and thirsty hipppo for now?

wahh not free to go down to the service centre leh.. is it advisable to insert silica gel and thirsty hipppo for now?

Be careful with the hippo, it's very thirsty. Also check that there is no leak at the box. Check the RH meter from time to time.

your RH meter working? if so, u can just use silica gel or hippo indefinitely. just that YOU are the controller. u remove the stuff when humidity reaches about 35%, and put it back in at 55 or thereabouts

i say remove at 35% imho. cos when u open the door, the humidity usually goes up by 3-5% ;p. can see how it works for u.

technically, once u get the humidity ok with this manual method. it should stay that way for some time until you next open the door

i sometimes do this to assist the dry box. sometimes when packing, a whole lot of outside air goes in and humidity gets very high

i sometimes do this to assist the dry box. sometimes when packing, a whole lot of outside air goes in and humidity gets very high

Relax, no need for that. There's is no race "reach 45% in 1h or lens get spoiled". The cabinet is for long time storage without usage. It's not a "quick dryer" for camera and lenses and your equipment can stand more that you dare to think.

Be careful with the hippo, it's very thirsty. Also check that there is no leak at the box. Check the RH meter from time to time.

yupyup..my RH is still working fine.. it ranges from 40-50%... safe zone ya?

Hi, I recommend Tolihan dry cabinet.

I believe Tolihan dry cabinet still among the best.

My Tolihan dry cabi bought in 1994 from tithes marketing (adelphi) 15years already, still working & never give me any problem.

:thumbsup:

Relax, no need for that. There's is no race "reach 45% in 1h or lens get spoiled". The cabinet is for long time storage without usage. It's not a "quick dryer" for camera and lenses and your equipment can stand more that you dare to think.

maybe i'm too kiasu :embrass: :bsmilie:

but so far, normal opening, it only goes up by a bit, to 55% or so. i can live with tt.

maybe i'm too kiasu :embrass: :bsmilie:
but so far, normal opening, it only goes up by a bit, to 55% or so. i can live with tt.

What is really going up? The reading at the door (where the RH meter is located) sticking out into the room. But that doesn't mean the RH jumps the same way in the lower left corner close to the back, right? Or does the temperature in your fridge jump to 30 degrees just by opening to get a coke? ;)

true.. but i usually wait some time, then give the meter (mine's analog) area at the door a good tapping. cos the needle is a bit sticky.

anyway, that was reassuring info there ;)

eh, i also just realised my digicab dry cabinet been at 49% to 53%... is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.