Dry cabinet, silicon gel, time for fungul prevention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
A few quick questions. :confused:

1) Does one turn on the electricity for the dry cabinet all the time?
2) Some recomends a normal sealed container with silicon gels, where can I buy
this silicon gel? What are their product names and manufacturers?
3) How long does it take the funguls to grow? How to prevent them from growing?
Right now I am storing my 350D fixed with one lens on, and the other lens with caps
, in a camera bag. At this moment since my interest in photography is still high, so
approximately I go out for one day trip with the camera each week. How large is the
probability for fungul growth?

Thank you. :)

1) i turn it on all the time, the humidity will rise if you switch it off
2) the product name is silica gel, don't have to bother about who is the manufacturer. you can get it from most camera shops, about $4-$5 for a can of 500g, i think
3) don't think there is an absolute answer as to how long will it start growing, depends on humidity. with singapore's humidity, you will probably see fungus on your lenses after some time if you store them in your camera bag. better get a dry cabinet / box.

dRebelXT said:
A few quick questions. :confused:

1) Does one turn on the electricity for the dry cabinet all the time?
2) Some recomends a normal sealed container with silicon gels, where can I buy
this silicon gel? What are their product names and manufacturers?
3) How long does it take the funguls to grow? How to prevent them from growing?
Right now I am storing my 350D fixed with one lens on, and the other lens with caps
, in a camera bag. At this moment since my interest in photography is still high, so
approximately I go out for one day trip with the camera each week. How large is the
probability for fungul growth?

Thank you. :)

If you want to sleep in peace and not worry about fungus, get a dry cabi or a DIY one with light blub attached is just as good, but be sure to have a RH% meter installed for monitoring purpose. Too dry or too moist can damage your lens and camera.

Many camera shops sell silicon gel. If you don't mind the hassel of drying the silicon gel in the oven or get a new bottel, then this is an alternative solution.

Thank you K C and jeffhiew.

Does my storage scheme work? I suddenly realized that I had that box, so I just bought
a bottle of blue silica gels, and placed some in a plastic bag. Does my scheme work?
As shown:
drybox2cw.jpg

To all silicon gel user:
I would like to know, how much silicon gel do you guys put inside your box? Any calculations for ideal humidity? (eg. Box Volume(cm3) : Silison Gel (grams))

hilo... i jus bought a dry cabinet yesterday... at Carrefour PLaza Singapura...

THe brand is digi-cabi and it cost about $99.00 30 L...

works well and the setting i set is humidity level around 40%... u can lower it or higher it...

y i bought it cos my fren bought it last last week n its working really well... :D :) there are also different types... so if u want to go PS to find out... near the cameras section...

dRebelXT said:
Does my storage scheme work? I suddenly realized that I had that box, so I just bought
a bottle of blue silica gels, and placed some in a plastic bag. Does my scheme work?
As shown:
drybox2cw.jpg

place them (silica gel) in a sock/stockings n tie the end up...it can better aid absortion of the moisture in the air....if u use this method...only con is that u cun really control the humidity to the preferred standard (40 -55). other than that it works as well in moisture absortion.

Hi bro..
You will never be able to control your %RH when you are using silica gel.
Too wet than fungus will grow... too dry than ESD charge will be generated.
(think about it) ... :think:
$99 dry cabinet is much cheaper than your camera.
It can protect your camera from dust and fungus.

some tip: check for air leakage ? see how long can your "blue rice" be always
blue before turn to be pink ...
:cheers:

dRebelXT said:
It would work as I had a SLR stored in a similar air tight plastic box for a long time before the dry cabinet. From my experiences, you need a bigger bag of silica gel than that shown above. Also consider using a small pin to make small holes on the plastic bag of silica gel.

Thank you all.
PLaza Singapura is behind Summerset MRT right?
I used to remember there was a Carrefour in the shopping center attached to
the Suntec, is it still there?

Sorry to hijack this thread, can I pour the silicon gels into the drybox, say a thin layer to fill up the bottom? (size about the diagram shown above)

I used to do it. :eek:

Please advise. Thanks :)

ST_sg said:
Sorry to hijack this thread, can I pour the silicon gels into the drybox, say a thin layer to fill up the bottom? (size about the diagram shown above)

There could be some dust from the silica gel if done this way getting onto the gear stored. I would suggest that you line the bottom of the box and the silica gel layer with some soft cloth to minimise the dust effect.

freelancer said:
There could be some dust from the silica gel if done this way getting onto the gear stored. I would suggest that you line the bottom of the box and the silica gel layer with some soft cloth to minimise the dust effect.
Yeah lor. There will be dust. Better always put on lens caps.

Boo... said:
Hi bro..
You will never be able to control your %RH when you are using silica gel.
Too wet than fungus will grow... too dry than ESD charge will be generated.
(think about it) ... :think:
$99 dry cabinet is much cheaper than your camera.
It can protect your camera from dust and fungus.

some tip: check for air leakage ? see how long can your "blue rice" be always
blue before turn to be pink ...
:cheers:

thanks. i agree with u ... a $99 box would be able to save thousands of ur lens dollar.

any suggestions for a mobile guy? for example, one who always travel around and stay out for certain amount of days with no access to any dry cabi.

Lotsa good info here... remember the average rel humidity in Singapore is 84.4% :bigeyes: . Robert says......... buy the damn drybox!

good information u have there r52lanc. thanks.

r52lanc said:
Lotsa good info here... remember the average rel humidity in Singapore is 84.4% :bigeyes: . Robert says......... buy the damn drybox!

good reading material :thumbsup: :thumbsup: didn't know mould can also grow at below RH 20%

mould cun grow below or near conditions such as RH20% .....the material indicated is 20 deg cel....just to inform all for as it may cos misunderstanding :)

ST_sg said:

I used to do it. :eek:

Please advise. Thanks :)

Also silica gel will break into smaller pieces so if u pour it into the box without any container/restraint these bits n pieces may goes into the small gaps of ur photographic equipments. cos u more trouble in the end. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.