Dry Cabinet - Searching for a post on comparision of 3 different models...

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Hello,

I read an interesting post on drycabinets - someone had done a comparision of three models : Akarui, Digi-cabi and Value. I have been looking for that post for the last day or two :sweat: . Did all kinds of search, but can't find that post. Hundreds of posts come up, but that particular post eludes me.

Can anyone help point me to that post ? Thanks. Thanks.

My opinion: no need to compare. All about the same. The technology behind is also the same, using dehumidifier unit to remove water (in the air) inside dry cabinet to outside. And need electricity for dehumidifier unit to work. Have a humidity sensor (digital or analog) to let you know the humidity inside the dry cab.

What you need to decide is:
- How big is your photography equipment will be? Bigger means more expensive than a smaller one.
- Do you need the pro series one, or just a simple one (price different). Pro series let you set the humidity level in easy. The non pro series one need manual calibration and 'agak-agak' to get humidity level as you wish.

Humidity level 40-50% RH is recommended by dry cabinet manufacturer for photography equipments.

Hope above help ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

IMO, that review you mentioned was of little practical use. The reviewer was more concerned on how long the warranty period was, whether the stores provided delivery... things of that nature and nothing really concerning the use of the cabinets.

I would recommend the Digicabi series of dry cabinets as I find them the most costworthy. Go for the digital cabinets if you can afford them else the ones with analog humidity controls will work just as well.

I've gone with digicabi for my 2nd unit and have never looked back, for my past 3 MOs on DigiCabi products, I'm pretty sure all the buyers were happy with theirs and the prices.

Go for the digital Digi-Cabis. I'm sold on it.

I'd agree with LKM, DHC series are one of the most solid and steady ones.

Digi- cabis are crap. the wife bought one when they were sold under a different company - which offer 5 years warranty, way before the 2 year they folded the first company. It appears from the people who now distribute them, that the same people are running company number 2. Which of course was not obliged to honour the previous compay's 5 year warranty. It cost $85 before GST to replace the defective drying unit - no repairs available. Guess what 2 year down the road the replacement drying unit dies. We are not going to contribute any cash to them. For my own dry boxes they have always been Rodex or Value which is a Rodex rebadged. No problems with warranty even if you lose the warranty card. Been happily using their products for 7 plus years. Wife's replacement unit is a Value. My first unit broken down about 4 years back - although the current units use a different dry method - they were able to repair this for a reasonable $60. Most companies would tell you sorri no parts, please throw away and buy new one or got but boss you want to pay $200 plus almost cost of new one ? Saw this in action at a local major camera shop, when a customer comes back after 8 years plus and he wants to repair or replace the dryer unit.If Digi are cheaper you need to think if the slight difference is worth it in view that their dryer unit heater element seems to die out after about 18 to 24 months of usage. Plus the uncertainty factor should the company be closed down again - the warranty dies with that closure. Also if they follow a no repair replace parts policy then it will be costly enough to have to replace a dry cabby ever what 2 to 4 years. I'd rather have to buy a bigger dry cabby because the equipment holding has grown over that time then pay to house the same amouint of tools.

i think its the same with all electronic stuff.... sometimes its really heng suay (luck).

giving another example, my fren and my other fren bought 2 similar laptop, 1 no prob till now, 1 hdd crash within a few months.

anyway...... sometimes its good to have a few dry cab instead? might take up space, but if u got space, it might be good, cos you might have at least 1 working one if lets say 1 of 2 broken down.

Thanks everyone, for the info.

For my current requirements and looking at the equipment that I will acquire in the next 1 year or so, I guess a 40L cabinet would be good enough.

I will do a look-see of the DigiCabi and Akarui models and buy one of those. These boxes cost a small fraction of the (cost of the) equipment that I am gonna put inside. I guess as long as they work for 5 years, I would've got the money's worth.

Cheers.

asterixsg said:
Thanks everyone, for the info.

For my current requirements and looking at the equipment that I will acquire in the next 1 year or so, I guess a 40L cabinet would be good enough.

I will do a look-see of the DigiCabi and Akarui models and buy one of those. These boxes cost a small fraction of the (cost of the) equipment that I am gonna put inside. I guess as long as they work for 5 years, I would've got the money's worth.

Cheers.
Towkay, I advise you to get a bigger one. I started with 50L, now with 80L but still not enough :bsmilie: Any sh!t you will also end up throwing inside. Mine filled with -/+ves and other stuff liao.

Get a bigger one, more space for expansion next time. MTL!

Never took a look at both the 40 litre and 60 litre dry cabinet.I just call digi-cabi to deliver the 60 litre straight to my house.

I was rather fortunate to buy the 60 litre one, cos from the look of it,I can imagine how small is the 40 litre :bsmilie:

espn said:
Towkay, I advise you to get a bigger one. I started with 40L, now with 80L but still not enough :bsmilie: Any sh!t you will also end up throwing inside. Mine filled with -/+ves and other stuff liao.

Get a bigger one, more space for expansion next time. MTL!
Run AirConditioner 24x7 in closed room will do.... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Run AirConditioner 24x7 in closed room will do.... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.
I know of somebody who does that.... :what: :what:

I posted & deleted that post... recieved some pm's that it wasnt accurate nor helpful. so I guess it's subjective.

as for warranty & delivery, i'm curious why Terence saw those were more important factors for me when I stressed that I chose based on build quality & storage flexibility =P

happy choosing....

Rev said:
I posted & deleted that post... recieved some pm's that it wasnt accurate nor helpful. so I guess it's subjective.

as for warranty & delivery, i'm curious why Terence saw those were more important factors for me when I stressed that I chose based on build quality & storage flexibility =P

happy choosing....

I mentioned those points as I recalled you had included them in your "review". I guess I wasn't the only person who did not find the review of any practical use. You may have made your decision based on build and storage flexibility, but it did not quite come across that way in your review of the 3 brands. Can't really give more examples other than what I can recall as you deleted the original post. No matter, glad you're happy with your choice of cabinet.

Henessy said:
Never took a look at both the 40 litre and 60 litre dry cabinet.I just call digi-cabi to deliver the 60 litre straight to my house.

I was rather fortunate to buy the 60 litre one, cos from the look of it,I can imagine how small is the 40 litre :bsmilie:

It's kinda hard to gauge what's big enough for everyone. That really depends on how much gear one has and if one has further plans to expand the collection. I know of friends who have lived with a small cabinet for many years and see no real need in getting a larger one. It's not a big deal to upgrade from a smaller one, IMO. There's always a ready second hand market for the smaller cabinets and one would not lose that much anyways in getting rid of an old one.

Terence said:
I mentioned those points as I recalled you had included them in your "review". I guess I wasn't the only person who did not find the review of any practical use. You may have made your decision based on build and storage flexibility, but it did not quite come across that way in your review of the 3 brands. Can't really give more examples other than what I can recall as you deleted the original post. No matter, glad you're happy with your choice of cabinet.

thanks for the heads up man... I do appreciate it. maybe I should have renamed it comments instead of comparision... the pm'ers pissed me off, no balls to post but they seemed to be digi-cabi supporters from their simple messages... but anyway...

1 thing I did miss out on was the digital control. I thought all 3 brands had analog control with digital or analog meters when I did my comparison. Are the digital controls better to control humidity or its just fancy gimmicks? There isnt much info on the web either heh as it's really more like "buy what U think is good' =(

T use digicabi with analog control and digital display.
The analog control is not precise instantly.
Let me tell you my story:
After letting it run for some hours, it stoped at 55%.
Then i adjust back, it get 40% after some hours.
Then i adjust again, and it get 45% for the whole night.
After that, i never touch the adjusting knob again. So it takes one night to get to the humidity level you want.
=> my conclusion, analog is not precise, need some time to adjust to the correct humidity you want. BUT will you keep changing it or just leave it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.