Dry Cabinet Reading Gradually Dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

limetouch

Oct 8, 2008
Boon Keng
flickr.com
At first it was 48%, and gradually over the next 2 days, it dropped to 45% and today when I last checked, it was 40%. Should I be tweaking the reading to increase the humidity?

Thanks

At first it was 48%, and gradually over the next 2 days, it dropped to 45% and today when I last checked, it was 40%. Should I be tweaking the reading to increase the humidity?

Thanks

Have you put your equipment in yet? Don't put your equipment in until you're sure your settings are correct.

Even with the correct settings, some fluctuations are natural. Don't be too worried if it drops to 40%, if you are, open the door for 1 minute or so, and it should stabilize around 45% again. Anywhere between 40%-55% (meter reading) should be safe enough...there will be some inaccuracies too, theres no need to push the panic button.:)

Have you put your equipment in yet? Don't put your equipment in until you're sure your settings are correct.

Even with the correct settings, some fluctuations are natural. Don't be too worried if it drops to 40%, if you are, open the door for 1 minute or so, and it should stabilize around 45% again. Anywhere between 40%-55% (meter reading) should be safe enough...there will be some inaccuracies too, theres no need to push the panic button.:)

It was only after putting in my equipment that it dropped from 48% to 40%. If it continues and it drops to 35%, should I start getting worried? For now I am safe as long as it maintains right?

It was only after putting in my equipment that it dropped from 48% to 40%. If it continues and it drops to 35%, should I start getting worried? For now I am safe as long as it maintains right?

Which cabinet and settings are you on?

Personally, I took 3 days to calibrate my dry cabinet. Settings done on the first day, and closely monitored it for 2 days. Even then I only put my camera BAG in without the camera... for 'drying' and testing. Haha. After I was more or less sure, then I put my camera in.

Even so, it bounces from 40-50% very often. If it drops a little too low, I'll just open the door.

Which cabinet and settings are you on?

Personally, I took 3 days to calibrate my dry cabinet. Settings done on the first day, and closely monitored it for 2 days. Even then I only put my camera BAG in without the camera... for 'drying' and testing. Haha. After I was more or less sure, then I put my camera in.

Even so, it bounces from 40-50% very often. If it drops a little too low, I'll just open the door.

I am using the DigiCabi 30L. As for settings, what settings are there? Isn't it just turning the knob to adjust the humidity? I monitored the reading for about 4 days before putting my equipment in. How long would you keep the door open for?

I am using the DigiCabi 30L. As for settings, what settings are there? Isn't it just turning the knob to adjust the humidity? I monitored the reading for about 4 days before putting my equipment in. How long would you keep the door open for?

a quick one will up the humidity already.

singapore air is very humid

Yea it all depends. For some people a quick one will do. For me, my room is usually air conditioned for long periods and I hardly open my windows/doors. So took me a little longer.

4 days should be fine. Just continue to monitor, if its constantly 40... then maybe just turn the knob about 1mm.. alittle only.

I think it's wiser to simply wait for a couple more days. If the value continues to plummet, then you may want to up the knob a little.

have to tune the knot...gently:)...
i notice mine maintain at 40-50%..but when i take my camera out less than 1 mins..the humid will rise to 60%....then it will take half a day to drop to 40-50%...my room must be super humid...

Sorry, noob question. What happens to the equipment if left in a dry cab below 40%?

::edit:: Okay found the answer on another thread. So basically the rubber starts deteriorating over long time, right?

Last edited:
Sorry, noob question. What happens to the equipment if left in a dry cab below 40%?

40-50% is generally the settings for electronic equipments such as video/ digi cams, lenses, tapes, negatives etc.

Lower that this range if stored for prolong period could result in the damaging the rubber and drying of grease on/in these equipments. But you're like me, every other day I would take it out, alittle bit below is ok too~ I set mine to 35% due to this reason.

So you intend to leave the country for awhile, do try to set back to that range.

Actually fungus start to grow in a RH% of abt 60~68%. (from somewhere I read) so as long as you are below this should be ok.

Set to below 30% can store herbs oh! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.