Dry cabinet questions

dkrj89

Dec 8, 2010
Hougang
Hi,

I recently bought a Digi Cabi DB-036.

From my understanding, the Digi Cabi DB-036 is/(will not??) be consuming much electricity during usage and it was advisable to leave it on from the date of purchase till its life span ends.

However, just wondering, for safety issue, is it a must for me to leave the current on throughout or is it possible that I can switch the current off at night and on it again the next morning?

By doing so, will there be any damage that will be incurred by the camera?

And also, what are the percentage that I need to set the humidity reading to? 40 % for DSLR?

Thank you and looking forward to all your favorable answers!

KONG:)

Should set between 35%~45%, 40% is ok. ;)

It is not advisable for you to switch the dry cabinet on and off; like your fridge, do you do that too? :think: :nono:

I don't see any safety issue.

It need to maintain the humidity in the cabinet and by switching off at night, the humidity in the cabinet will raise with the ambient. And your dry cabinet need to work hard to reduce it every morning. :confused:

haha, its not me though with the safety issue thing!:dunno: but my parents are just too concern with the fact that the electricity current is on throughout the night. well, they are being concerned too, cant really blame them for that. thats why i was wondering what will happen if i do off in the night and on back in the morning will do to the dry cabinet or something! does the humidity level rises that much in the night in the cabinet? even though it is locked and sealed?

p.s i don switch my fridge on/off too! ;)

However, just wondering, for safety issue, is it a must for me to leave the current on throughout or is it possible that I can switch the current off at night and on it again the next morning?
What kind of potential safety issue do you see here? I guess a lot of devices in your household run in standby mode, thus being connected to power and draw energy - maybe even more than the dry cabinet.
Stop being paranoid.

haha, its not me though with the safety issue thing!:dunno: but my parents are just too concern with the fact that the electricity current is on throughout the night. well, they are being concerned too, cant really blame them for that. thats why i was wondering what will happen if i do off in the night and on back in the morning will do to the dry cabinet or something! does the humidity level rises that much in the night in the cabinet? even though it is locked and sealed?

p.s i don switch my fridge on/off too! ;)

very low wattage... what are they worried about? electric fault leading to fire? but the dry cabinet is earthed.

Then explain to your parent that it is ok. Just like their fridge . . . ;)

Oh, my piano also got power for 24/7 too . . .

haha, its not me though with the safety issue thing!:dunno: but my parents are just too concern with the fact that the electricity current is on throughout the night. well, they are being concerned too, cant really blame them for that.
I would tell my parents to learn about it .. that's what they always do if something new comes into the household. Even if one switches off all devices the cable remains powered, all wall sockets, all wires in the ceiling .. Btw: most TV's can't be switched off anymore.. unless you use the switch at the wall socket.

Just curious, does it mean that your family does not on the refrigerator, electrical fan or air-con on overnight?
Dry-cabi power consumption is quite low, low single-digit watts?

The digicab only consumes 5 watt power ...... Computer already 350 w . For fridge itsmmuch more

Nope dry cabinet should be quite simple, even the drying element won't heat up and cause a fire in your house. I think you can leave it on whole night. Rest assured!

TS.... if really kia si..... you can just turn it off and put 2 dry hippos if not 1 instead.... then again that defeat the purpose of having a dry cabinet.

If i buy a camera with kit lens, do I need a dry cab?

And if my lao bu asks, is it very energy consuming? in case my mum faint when she receives the electricity bill..

If i buy a camera with kit lens, do I need a dry cab?
And if my lao bu asks, is it very energy consuming? in case my mum faint when she receives the electricity bill..

1) Recommended in general. A dry box is a good start.
2) Estimated 5 Watts consumption, do your maths. Not using aircon for some nights should have more impact on your utility bill :)

currently electricity is charging at $0.2334 for the first 150kWh, above 150kWh is at $0.2413.

if you turn on dry cabinet consume 5w/h for 24/7, then in one month (31days) consumption is 5x24x31= 3720w or 3.720kw.

you can drink less one cup of coffee or use computer lesser, or pay your mum $0.90 for the utility bill.

hope this help.

Hi, also just wanted to ask something about Dry Cabs. Is it ok to keep the dry cab in my bedroom where the aircon is ON during the night and is OFF during the day? Does this affect the Dry Cab's performance coz it has to deal with that big of a change in ambient temp daily?

well TS, i guess you should educate your parents tactfully then.