Dry cabinet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

watsup

Oct 11, 2006
Little Red Dot
Hi all, just want to check is it ok for the humidity to be at 39-41% when keeping my camera for long duration? I wanted to keep it at 45% but i can't seems to get it to work within that range. I am using a 30L digicabi. Thanks.

Hi all, just want to check is it ok for the humidity to be at 39-41% when keeping my camera for long duration? I wanted to keep it at 45% but i can't seems to get it to work within that range. I am using a 30L digicabi. Thanks.

Just tune it slowly, it may take some time to get the humidity right if you are using the analog models.

Yep. Analog dial types have no direct feedback so u gotta turn it and try. Use stickers to indicate where is what kind of settings when the environment is stable.

I did see that there's a difference in humidity at the same settings when I turn on the aircon compared to when it's off. So.... trial and error I guess....

yes, i am using the analog dial type one... is it ok if it stays at 41% or do i have to turn it up abit more because it is kinda hard to do the adjustment :(

yes, i am using the analog dial type one... is it ok if it stays at 41% or do i have to turn it up abit more because it is kinda hard to do the adjustment :(

Should be fine in my opinion... ha.... I leave it about 40% as well.

i thought humidity is lower the better?

for camera and lens, the ideal recommended range is between 40-60% . Too low will be too "dry" for the camera.

For cameras and lenses, the ideal is between 40%-50%.

For the Analog Digicabi, there is an RH error reading rate of +-5%, hence setting it to 45% would be safe.

For the Digital Digicabi, there is an RH error reading rate of +-3%, hence setting it to 45% would also be okay, but I personally use a setting of 43% since I also subscribe to the belief that the lower the better hee hee :).

This is why the default setting is normally 45% on your digicabi. By default, I mean that if the power is cut off from your mains and you provide power to your digicabi again, you would find that they reset it to 45%.

I am using a DB-036, and it took me more than a week to have my RH to stay around 46-47%. I read it somewhere in this forum that too low will cause the grease on ur gear to dry up and the plastic to crack and the rubber to become sticky.

different location will affect your setting, I mean with air-con or fan ...etc. With and w/o gears, the RH value also changes. That was what I observed so far, I believe the number of gears inside will affect the value too. But I cant confirm on that yet.

Can't keep it at that range? :think::nono:.....you sure you set your dial correctly?

Just purchased the Digi Cabi DB-036 as recommended from prof in this forum. but I still not very sure what items shouldn't be kept inside? What I know of are e.g strap, battery should be removed, is there any item not adviseable to kept inside? thanks

Can't keep it at that range? :think::nono:.....you sure you set your dial correctly?

I am using the Digi Cabi DB-036 also... it took me about a week to get 41%. It was around 30% by default when i first got the dry cabinet and the dial was on the right somewhere in the red coloured region. Now my dial is in the middle of the blue region. Maybe i will try to move the dial abit more and see if can settle down at 45% :)

Just purchased the Digi Cabi DB-036 as recommended from prof in this forum. but I still not very sure what items shouldn't be kept inside? What I know of are e.g strap, battery should be removed, is there any item not adviseable to kept inside? thanks

Any reason why battery should not be kept inside? I am quite curious since i kept mine inside

Any reason why battery should not be kept inside? I am quite curious since i kept mine inside

Only if you are going to store the camera for long without shooting to avoid leaking...

Battery should be removed from the camera and flash before they are stored. This is cos of leaking batteries if kept overly long without usage. Same as normal electronics really.

Batteries itself can be kept in the cabinet. A dryer environment contain less ions bcos of lower humidity and therefore will mean that battery to air discharge is slower..... You might or might not notice that the discharge is slower though cos that also depends on a lot of other factors though....

Next, plastics. Plastic materials absorb quite a bit of water from the surrounding air, very much like a "sponge". If it's not necessary to have the plastic item stored inside the dry cabinet, don't. If you do, it will just make the "dryer" work harder to keep to a certain humidity. For example, my underwater housing is kept outside the dry cabinet...... Lens hoods, straps etc fall under this category too....

The whole idea is to retard the growth of fungus etc that happens in very humid conditions so that the glass lens dont "fog" up. If you're storing ginseng or other chinese medical herbs, then better crank up the power and lower the humidity.... but most folks would not recommend storing lenses & cameras together with medical herbs. Gives it a funny smell... haha....;)

Thanks all for all your inputs. below the 2 catergories:-
Inside the cabinet:-
1) Camera body
2) Lens without hoods
3) Camera Battery (removed from camera)
4) Video Camcoder
5) Tapes / Cleaning Tape
6) CD / DVD Disc

Outside the cabinet:-
1) Camera Straps
2) Lens Hoods
3) Cleaning solution / Kits

Feel free to advise, my cabinet bascially use for Camera / Video cam purposes.
one more question, usually how long will the humidity settle down once I adjust the knob?
my haven't reaches 40 to 55 and it is either too high or too low after I adjusted the knob.

It thk the lens hood is ok. esp when you can turn it around and snap on the lens itself. You may want to take out your lens and sun them for around 10-15 mins once every 2 months if you are really not using them for long.

Hi i am using a 60L dry cab
you can take a look at the picture here
humidity reads 47%....

settings.jpg

regards
knightwings

I an a newbie... do I really need a dry cabinet?

If I don't keep in dry cabinet... what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.