Dry Cabinet queries - strange meter reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanoman

Dec 17, 2002
a.little.red.dot
Trying to search the forum, but I can't find any answer.

I just bought Akarui 68L dry cabinet last week. Has been monitoring the humidity level. I set the switch to M (if humidity reach 60% it will turn on by itself).

So far the meter is around 48%. I bought Digital Hygrometer to conform this, the analog that come with the cabinet is a bit off (around 10% lesser). I believe the digital hygrometer give a correct reading.

Logically everytime I open the cabinet the humidity should rise. But for my case everytime I open the door, the meter arise 2%-4% (this is normal :D ). After I closed the cabinet door, it will slowly go down to 48% (this is strange :sweat: ). The LED is not on. I tried before cutting off the power to the cabinet and do the same thing as above, strangely after I closed the door the humidity will go down by itself. The dehumidifier is not broken, because I change the switch to 'ON' and the LED will turn on.

Inside the box there are camera, lenses, negative, photos. Is this consider as normal? Is it possible that any of my eqp or maybe my negative act as 'silica gel'?

Thanks in advance

hanoman said:
Trying to search the forum, but I can't find any answer.

I just bought Akarui 68L dry cabinet last week. Has been monitoring the humidity level. I set the switch to M (if humidity reach 60% it will turn on by itself).

So far the meter is around 48%. I bought Digital Hygrometer to conform this, the analog that come with the cabinet is a bit off (around 10% lesser). I believe the digital hygrometer give a correct reading.

Logically everytime I open the cabinet the humidity should rise. But for my case everytime I open the door, the meter arise 2%-4% (this is normal :D ). After I closed the cabinet door, it will slowly go down to 48% (this is strange :sweat: ). The LED is not on. I tried before cutting off the power to the cabinet and do the same thing as above, strangely after I closed the door the humidity will go down by itself. The dehumidifier is not broken, because I change the switch to 'ON' and the LED will turn on.

Inside the box there are camera, lenses, negative, photos. Is this consider as normal? Is it possible that any of my eqp or maybe my negative act as 'silica gel'?

Thanks in advance

The hygrometer is on the door, so when you open, it measures the ambient humidity, when you close it, it measures the internal humidity.

All is fine. :D

hanoman said:
You can never be sure that by turning the dial to M will give u a 60% reading. Don't trust the dial too much. It's all about trial and error. From what u've described, I find your box is perfectly normal. :thumbsup:

hanoman said:
Thanks HelmetBox and Barrios for answering my doubts.

hi by the way can i know how much u bought ur dry cabinet and where u got it???thanx!!!

roosevelt said:
hi by the way can i know how much u bought ur dry cabinet and where u got it???thanx!!!
Akarui is carried by Cathay Photo. Kinda expensive brand. :)

Yep I got it from CP, they got some promotion on Akarui and one jap brand. I got a dry box as a gift also. Anyone want to buy the dry box, I dont use it.

Price range for Akarui is $150 - $700 (diff size)

hanoman said:
Yep I got it from CP, they got some promotion on Akarui and one jap brand. I got a dry box as a gift also. Anyone want to buy the dry box, I dont use it.

Price range for Akarui is $150 - $700 (diff size)

thanx man.....does the brand realli mean anything???good brand better quanlity???hahaa...>>??care to tell me more??

hohoho, search the forum and you will see those bad brand and good brand. Many info you will find there, search word "dry box" or "dry cabinet"

happy searching

roosevelt said:
thanx man.....does the brand realli mean anything???good brand better quanlity???hahaa...>>??care to tell me more??
Imported products usually cost higher than the local ones; sometimes almost double the price for the same capacity. Some locally produced dry cabinets are really not bad at all, offering 5 years warranty and spare parts are readily available. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.