Dry Cabinet Level shot up on rainy days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rendell

Aug 2, 2009
Singapore
Does your humidity level in your dry cabinet went up today?

Mine jump from 45% to 55% today ... dunno why.

you put your dry cabinet in the rain?

shouldn't change that much. did you open and close the door?

you put your dry cabinet in the rain?

shouldn't change that much. did you open and close the door?

Lol, why would i soak my dry cabinet in the rain ....
I did open the door to place in my lens, but open door close door less than 3 sec.

Lol, why would i soak my dry cabinet in the rain ....
I did open the door to place in my lens, but open door close door less than 3 sec.
You have answered your question. The room RH at that time most likely close to 100%. Don't worry, 55% is still quite acceptable as long as it slowly move back towards the 45% mark.

You have answered your question. The room RH at that time most likely close to 100%. Don't worry, 55% is still quite acceptable as long as it slowly move back towards the 45% mark.

I see. 3 sec also so scary... next time when opening the door, must plan on what to take to reduce the timing.

Once the door is opened, within a fraction of a second, ~99% of the air inside will mix with the surrounding air, somemore there is disturbance introduced to the inside environment (placing of lens inside). Unless the cabinet have very small opening like that of a coke bottle. Even then, there will be significant exchange of air once the cap is opened.

Consider the rate of diffusion, how long does it take for the person on one corner of the room to detect a German gas released at the other corner of the room? 1 sec? 2 sec?

Consider the rate of diffusion, how long does it take for the person on one corner of the room to detect a German gas released at the other corner of the room? 1 sec? 2 sec?

Depends on what the German ate.

Especially in a closed room.

so what is your conclusion?
don't open dry cabinet during raining day?
don't take out camera during raining day?

:dunno:

I also experienced this. My dry cabi's RH rised these few days due to the rain.

For my case.. I think it is due to my dry cabi being placed near to the window.
When there is rain, the air will come in through the windows, thus, the RH in the room will rise. Therefore, causing the RH in the dry cabi to rise.

I think if it is temporary fluctuation, it will be alright. Only if it is constant at higher levels then a bit serious....

anywyas, whenever open dry cabinet door, sure will let in moisture.

don't worry so much, fungus isn't some magic growth formula creature, it isn't going to explode once your humidity levels go beyond the specified range that is supposed to stop fungal growth or curtail it!

Logically, the RH inside the dry cabinet should not fluctuate in rainy days. The likely reason that will cause this is it not air tight. If one switch off the power on this bad cabinet, it should shoot up to high RH fairly fast in few hours in such situation.

If I were you, buy another hygrometer and put inside shelf to check if everything is uniform. Unreliable quality cabinet IMO.

same thing happened to me.
i opened the door to get some stuffs.
on other rainy days , it was ok.

My camera and 3 lenses were out of dry cab the whole day yesterday. Then how? Jialat liow lor? :cry: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
No need to worry so much about a surge in humidity after you open the door. Its normal.
If it doesnt surge, probably you dont need a dry cab, because the outside humidity is same. hehe.

dun worry the humidity fluctuates when u open the dry cabinet :bsmilie:
the levels will "normalise" after a while

ryan

Lower the humidity of the room that has the dry cabinet. :)

I see. 3 sec also so scary... next time when opening the door, must plan on what to take to reduce the timing.

Please, 'lah, a dry cabinet is not a "Quick Drier" and no camera needs such a treatment. Dry cabinet is for long term storage, beyond days and weeks and the RH refers to the long term average RH for storage. The fluctuation due to opening the door is meaningless in that context. Rushing with your gear and opening the door only increases the chances of dropping something.

Status
Not open for further replies.