Dry Cabinet issue

ecurbw

Jan 27, 2011
Just bought an Aipo 48L dry cabinet.

Recommended setting is to set 45% for RH (relative humidity)

Dry cabinet is in my room. At night, my aircon is switched on at around 22 degrees Celsius.

Realised in the morning my RH setting will drop to 34%-37%.

Is that alright? Is the low RH due to aircon?

Noted that some people have say RH cannot be too low in case camera and lens get spoilt. If RH too low, the grease in camera and body gets affected.

Can somebody advise me if 34%-37% RH is alright for my camera?

Thanks!

34- 37 is too low, always get it between 45-50%

34- 37 is too low, always get it between 45-50%

Eh, i already set as 45% RH but somehow the RH can still drop to 34%-37% at night?

Can anything be done ah?

ecurbw said:
Eh, i already set as 45% RH but somehow the RH can still drop to 34%-37% at night?

Can anything be done ah?

You can do a salt test on your hygrometer to check whether it's displaying the actual humidity

You can do a salt test on your hygrometer to check whether it's displaying the actual humidity

Hi- can advise what is a salt test?

once the thermostat of the dry cabinet is set at 45%, the dry cabinet will not kick in when it reaches 45%, so when the humidity level drop below it is an external factor, you can
#1, ignore it, since it is only temporary,
#2, move the cabinet out of the room,
#3, don't switch on air con.

Personally, i think anything between 35%-45% RH is still quite acceptable. A reading of 40%-45% is more like an ideal case but it does not mean that anything outside this range is going to cause immediate damage to the gears.

If you really think the air is too dry whenever air con is being switched on, buy a humidifier and switch it on at nite when you enjoy your air con. You can monitor the RH reading and make necessary adjustment.

Then you should set at 50% RH.
Is ok to set in between 45% - 55%

Personally, i think anything between 35%-45% RH is still quite acceptable. A reading of 40%-45% is more like an ideal case but it does not mean that anything outside this range is going to cause immediate damage to the gears.

If you really think the air is too dry whenever air con is being switched on, buy a humidifier and switch it on at nite when you enjoy your air con. You can monitor the RH reading and make necessary adjustment.

Hi,

How does this humidifier looks like? Is it something that i put inside the dry cabinet or something that i put in the room? Is the humidifier something like a pot of liquid that gets evaporated in the air?

Then you should set at 50% RH.
Is ok to set in between 45% - 55%

Hi,

Even if i set at 50%, at night with my air con switched on, i guess the RH will still drop to 34-37%.

Just wonder if 34-37% will damage my lens and camera!

ecurbw said:
Hi,

Even if i set at 50%, at night with my air con switched on, i guess the RH will still drop to 34-37%.

Just wonder if 34-37% will damage my lens and camera!

Should be fine unless u leave it for long period

Ok thanks everyone for feedback!

you just got the Aipo cabinet and it should come with a warranty. Why not call up the supplier and get them to fix the problem instead of worrying about your gears inside the cabinet. Get them to see to the problem and solve the issue for you, that's what warranty is for isn't it?

My EX 48 is in my aircon room also but it does not have this issue. Have always remain at 45. When i open the door to get my gears, it will drop to bout 50 and den it will work again to get the RH back to 45.

you just got the Aipo cabinet and it should come with a warranty. Why not call up the supplier and get them to fix the problem instead of worrying about your gears inside the cabinet. Get them to see to the problem and solve the issue for you, that's what warranty is for isn't it?

My EX 48 is in my aircon room also but it does not have this issue. Have always remain at 45. When i open the door to get my gears, it will drop to bout 50 and den it will work again to get the RH back to 45.

OK. I am going to monitor the dry cabinet for a few more days. If still have problem, will contact the suppier. Thanks!