Dry Cabinet & Hygrometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyfoot17

Jan 2, 2005
Tampines
Oh no ... it only happened recently and i was suspcious of my analogue dry cabinet. I bought a digital hydrometer from John 3:16 and when i compared the reading yterday inside the dry cabinet, both showed diff readings...

When the annalogue was set at 'M' as recommended, the digital showed abt 40-45 %. I wanted the dry cabinet to be at 50%, so i turned the dial to 'H', but the ananlogue still showed the same range, while the analogue meter shows 60-65%

So wic shld i trust ?

So nobody ever has a second hydrometer inside their dry cabinets ?

Must apologise to TS for 'lending' his thread 1st ...

I checked both meters today, and I'm shocked to see that both meters are 10% apart. So do i take it that the digital meter is more accurate ?

Hi stinkyfoot17,

You can compare your digital hygrometer with your friend's to confirm. I would beleive the analog meter in your dry cabinet is the one that is inaccurate. When I bought my 2 Akarui dry cabinet, both of the analog meters were inaccurate, and I had to calibrate them with my digital one (after confirming with my friend's).

Ok now let's get back to the topic...

I wouldn't even trust the digital hygromenter built into ur cabinet, mine is quite different from the standalone hygrometer I got.

Sorry for the OT here. Do anyone know where to purchase a very good hygrometer (either digital or etc) at around S$200. I really need to get one before my equipments starts to have problems. many thks.

Get a digital clock. Most of them have temperature and Hygrometer built in and it can tell time aswell. ;)

Any recommendation on where to find such a 'specail' clock ?

There are quite a number of digital clocks (some with radio too) that has time, alarm, temperature, and RH.

Frankly speaking, I wouldn't trust the readings from these clocks. Are the thermometer and hydrometer calibrated? How about their accuracy? I have my doubts.

Moderator's note:

Thread splitted from "Nikon AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED" of Nikon subforum as it is getting OT.

Oh no ... it only happened recently and i was suspcious of my analogue dry cabinet. I bought a digital hydrometer from John 3:16 and when i compared the reading yterday inside the dry cabinet, both showed diff readings...

When the annalogue was set at 'M' as recommended, the digital showed abt 40-45 %. I wanted the dry cabinet to be at 50%, so i turned the dial to 'H', but the ananlogue still showed the same range, while the analogue meter shows 60-65%

So wic shld i trust ?

I have similar problems also. My analog (built-in with the cabinet) is reading about 8%-10% RH higher than the digital. I figured the analog is off because (1) the cabinet (with the analog meter) is more than 15 years old and (b) the needle is a bit sticky.

Let me explain (b). After opening the door, the RH will raise above the set RH. After doing whatever needs done and closing the door, the system will start to bring the RH down, but the analog reading will drop slower than the digital reading. Tapping on the glass door, in-front of the meter, I notice the needle will drop! Hence, conclude needle sticky.

Anyway, all said and done, I don't find this a big deal. I set the RH according to the digital meter and ignor the analog.

Sorry for the OT here. Do anyone know where to purchase a very good hygrometer (either digital or etc) at around S$200. I really need to get one before my equipments starts to have problems. many thks.

Hi Spectrum,

You can get digital hygrometers at most of the DIY hardware stores. These standalone units are quite decent and good enough for the application. :)

Must apologise to TS for 'lending' his thread 1st ...

I checked both meters today, and I'm shocked to see that both meters are 10% apart. So do i take it that the digital meter is more accurate ?

One simple way to verify the accuracy of a standalone hygrometer is to use the saturated salt test:

In an enclosure put enough non-iodized common salt (sodium chloride) in a small tray of water to form a saturated solution. Let it settle for a few hours. The %RH of the atmosphere above the salt solution will be 75%RH at room temperature. :)

Here
is a table of %RH for different saturated salt solutions.

One simple way to verify the accuracy of a standalone hygrometer is to use the saturated salt test:

In an enclosure put enough non-iodized common salt (sodium chloride) in a small tray of water to form a saturated solution. Let it settle for a few hours. The %RH of the atmosphere above the salt solution will be 75%RH at room temperature. :)

Here
is a table of %RH for different saturated salt solutions.

Thanks for the link. At last, a simple way to check the accuracy of the hygrometer. The beauty of it is you can pour as much salt as you want without worring about over-saturation.

I just received an analog Hygrometer as Father day's gift, will test it out and let you know.

Hi Spectrum,

You can get digital hygrometers at most of the DIY hardware stores. These standalone units are quite decent and good enough for the application. :)

Thanks for the reply here. I do have one digital though. But, like someone here mentioned. My is 10%-15% RH lower than my drybox analogue hygrometer.
I'm really sick of that. Therefore, I really need a very good one to tell me which is right? Anyone can recommend those that use in some science-lab or museum? Many thanks.:)

Confirm that analog & digital Hygrometer differ in reading.

BTW, my air-con room register 45% last night, maybe I don't need the dry cab at all.

Confirm that analog & digital Hygrometer differ in reading.

BTW, my air-con room register 45% last night, maybe I don't need the dry cab at all.

Then you must be the one that own the PUB dude. I'm just kidding anyway.;p And no offence, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.