Dry cabinet humidity setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzero

Dec 10, 2004
What is the most ideal humidity setting for dry cabinet?
Mine humidity reads around 59-62% is it too dry for camera and lenses, batteries, CF cards etc

Coz i heard if too dry might cause the camera PCBs to have dry solder join in the long run. too humid may cause fungus.
Pls advice. Thanks ;)

What is the most ideal humidity setting for dry cabinet?
Mine humidity reads around 59-62% is it too dry for camera and lenses, batteries, CF cards etc

Coz i heard if too dry might cause the camera PCBs to have dry solder join in the long run. too humid may cause fungus.
Pls advice. Thanks ;)

Too dry?? It's not dry enough. For cams, should be 45% - 55%.

i am not sure what is the best setting, but the one on mine says 46%.

50 to 55 % is just about right. You dont want it too dry as it might dry off the grease in the lenses. And dont trust the readings on the analog humidity readers. Get a digital one at Sim Lim tower or something.

Recommended setting is 45-55% for cameras/lenses. This is usually listed in the manufacturer's user's manual.

Hmm I thought it depends how often one uses the equipment in the dry cabi?

Like a heavy user would keep the humidity at a lower 40 - 45% while a occasional user would keep it at a less dry 45 - 55%?

I keep mine at ard the 40-50% range, coz I tend to take out and use my equipment abt every 2 or 3 days.

40-50% is the recommended range.
However up to 60%, i think it is fairly reasonable.
Lens i dont use often, i usually put them in dry boxes (a 70 and 40L cab is not enough)
Some of them stay around 55-60% and is kept pretty well.
For my dry cab, i let it run to 20%, no issue because i open the cab almost everyday ;)

RTFM. The manual for Digi-Cabi say 40-50%RH for photography gears.

It take few days to stabilize at around 45%RH on my digi-cabi. Need trial and error to have it stable at 45%RH. Depending on how long I open the door, it could take an hour to back to my preferred 45%RH.

Regards,
Arto.

For my dry cab, i let it run to 20%, no issue because i open the cab almost everyday ;)
If you see 20%RH, the humidity inside the dry cab is too low already. You might found nothing bad in short time. But even if you open everyday and the humidity always back to 20%RH, it could be too dry for photography gears. It might be bad if continuously like that for long time.

IMHO, you better look for pro series dry cab.

Regards,
Arto.

My digicabi is at a nice, stable 46%. That's just right.

50 to 55 % is just about right. You dont want it too dry as it might dry off the grease in the lenses. And dont trust the readings on the analog humidity readers. Get a digital one at Sim Lim tower or something.

Lens applied with grease meh.. ? and can be dried up ? :sticktong

Agreed to buy digital reader.
I am using two %RH readers in my dry cabinet (analog and digital) than take average reading lor :thumbsup:

Prefer to use 40%~50% RH.
Once open door for 5min than will shoot up to 70%. Wow .. Singapore is so humid.
Good for skin but bad for lens and camera and err... clothes oso...

Once open door for 5min than will shoot up to 70%. Wow .. Singapore is so humid.
Good for skin but bad for lens and camera and err... clothes oso...

Yup. That's why when i sleep with aircon I leave a cabinet door open. The aircon dries out my cabinets and helps block mold growing on my clothes. :D

Yup. That's why when i sleep with aircon I leave a cabinet door open. The aircon dries out my cabinets and helps block mold growing on my clothes. :D
If you turn on or must have air cond 24/7, you can have no dry cab for photography gears :sweat: . You already live in big dry cab...

Regards,
Arto.

where in SLS can get the digital reader ?
You mean digital humidity reader (with temperature reading)? Try SimLim Tower level 4. There is a lot there. Price ~$25-$30.

Regards,
Arto.

You mean digital humidity reader (with temperature reading)? Try SimLim Tower level 4. There is a lot there. Price ~$25-$30.

Regards,
Arto.

If you go to Sim Lim Tower, you can get them for 15-20. :)

If you turn on or must have air cond 24/7, you can have no dry cab for photography gears :sweat: . You already live in big dry cab...

Regards,
Arto.

I don't leave it on 24/7, so I need a dry cabi. Glass and metal elements will attract condensation after you turn off the aircon and open doors, windows, etc. Cloth won't, so i have no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.