Dry cabinet help

Smiles88

Jun 14, 2010
West
Hi guys. Got something to ask. Is it normal for my dry cabinet's RH to be at abt 60% after i put my stuff in? Setting is at abt 3 o'clock now. Before i put my things in the reading was at 43%.

you opened to let air in. Humidity sets in too. It needs time to get rid of it....be patient and it will drop to what you have set.

you opened to let air in. Humidity sets in too. It needs time to get rid of it....be patient and it will drop to what you have set.

Second that. The drycabi is not like a fridge where something gets cold in 5mins. It takes quite some time, to slowly dry the air. Be patient :)

Hi guys. Got something to ask. Is it normal for my dry cabinet's RH to be at abt 60% after i put my stuff in? Setting is at abt 3 o'clock now. Before i put my things in the reading was at 43%.

Usually it needs some time to stabilise. Especially if you have open the door, allowing external air to mix in with the air inside the cabinet.

Wait for a couple of hours....if after 24hrs and @ maximum setting still RH never go down, get a another RH meter too confirm reading...
if reading tally then its time to go shopping.....

Wait for a couple of hours....if after 24hrs and @ maximum setting still RH never go down, get a another RH meter too confirm reading...
if reading tally then its time to go shopping.....

Slowly slowly lah. Drying out doesn't happen in 5 mins mate. Even the RH for top shelve and bottom shelve will show different readings. They will show same readings after about 2 to 3 days. Average RH in the open is about 66% - 73%. Get a Hydrometer for $15 at DIY store just to double confirm your setting.:cool:

try turning on air con in the room for 30 min. before opening up your dry cabinet. This will help minimize the RH fluctuation and let the dry cabinet's RH goes back to around 40% faster.

ok thanks guys! woke up this morning to find tt it was at 40%.

ok thanks guys! woke up this morning to find tt it was at 40%.

too low still, adjust to the recommended 45-50, minor tweaks and it will stay there for gd :)

yea. did tt while my eyes were still half closed. have to go back after work to monitor it again

Get a Hydrometer for $15 at DIY store just to double confirm your setting.:cool:

Actually I've been looking for one. Asked at IMM's HomeFix but they didn't have. Which DIY store has them?

As other members have pointed out, it takes time for the RH tpo settle back down again.

Edwin, haven't heard that phrase for awhile. I've seen refractometers used to measure specific density of plasma and urea though ... and booze! You sometimes see the master brewers placing a drop of liquid on a hand-held device and looking trough it at micro-breweries in the middle of the afternoon. Lucky guys ... having to test all that beer! LOL!

Edwin, haven't heard that phrase for awhile. I've seen refractometers used to measure specific density of plasma and urea though ... and booze! You sometimes see the master brewers placing a drop of liquid on a hand-held device and looking trough it at micro-breweries in the middle of the afternoon. Lucky guys ... having to test all that beer! LOL!

Wasn't thinking about anything so highbrow -- more the hydrometers used to check car batteries!
Are or were you by any chance from that industry (booze, I mean)? Cause it just occurred to me that that might be the source of your nick :bsmilie:

Don't just go out and grab any hygrometer.....at least get one that is known to be accurate. Look at the hygrometers in my dry cab and you can more or less judge which one is really off in terms of accuracy. :)

Hygrometers.JPG

Don't just go out and grab any hygrometer.....at least get one that is known to be accurate. Look at the hygrometers in my dry cab and you can more or less judge which one is really off in terms of accuracy. :)

Hygrometers.JPG

wow... do u really need tt many? my dry cab more or less tuned to 43-47% already. by tonight should be zhun zhun already. Thanks guys!

Wah so many hygros...

wow... do u really need tt many? my dry cab more or less tuned to 43-47% already. by tonight should be zhun zhun already. Thanks guys!
Haha....I have 2 dry cabs and 2 guitar hardcases, one for each enclosure. I thought just to take them all out and place them in one dry cab to see the readings. The one on the left, the biggest one, which I bought from a DIY store turned out to be the worst.

My personal favourite is the Western Caliber III - accurate out of the box.

Last edited: