Dry cabinet for my equipment!

daphnesayshi

Dec 20, 2007
Hi all,

I've been an avid collector of old cameras for a few years now (I'm still quite young!) and after a recent scare - my lubitel 166B (original USSR one, not those dumb lomo.com ripoffs) succumbed to fungus - I've decided that a dry cabinet is a must to keep my cameras/lenses safe.

I usually keep my cameras in a cabinet (the normal kinds where you put books etc) with a lot of silica gel (I buy the big bottle and replace them when they turn pink - too much hassle to bake them back to blue again haha) and thirsty hippo. I also regularly check through my equipment to make sure they are fine. I guess I haven't really been vigilant the last 6 months or so and so I took out my cameras a few days ago to find to my horror that my lubi HAS FUNGUS on the inside lens.. I'm just glad that the infection is not widespread.

I've been looking at some of the dry cabinets for sale online but the pictures make them look so tiny and I'm not sure what size I should settle for? Bearing in mind that I am a recent graduate (who hasn't found a job yet!), I'd like to get something that fits my stuff, but not so small that I'll run out of space real quickly and not TOO big that I'd prolly have to sell my kidney to get one..

So I'm asking for help from people experienced with dry cabinets, I see the Digi-Cabi AD 60L for $188 on reddotphoto.com, is 60L an okay size? What about physical shops that sell dry cabinets? Any recommendations for good prices? I've got maybe..20 cameras? Rangefinders, a few film slrs + lenses, a few polaroids sitting in a corner rotting, a G9 and an E-P1 so they are mostly quite small in size? Please advise!:dunno:

-Daphne

Hi all,

I've been an avid collector of old cameras for a few years now (I'm still quite young!) and after a recent scare - my lubitel 166B (original USSR one, not those dumb lomo.com ripoffs) succumbed to fungus - I've decided that a dry cabinet is a must to keep my cameras/lenses safe.

I usually keep my cameras in a cabinet (the normal kinds where you put books etc) with a lot of silica gel (I buy the big bottle and replace them when they turn pink - too much hassle to bake them back to blue again haha) and thirsty hippo. I also regularly check through my equipment to make sure they are fine. I guess I haven't really been vigilant the last 6 months or so and so I took out my cameras a few days ago to find to my horror that my lubi HAS FUNGUS on the inside lens.. I'm just glad that the infection is not widespread.

I've been looking at some of the dry cabinets for sale online but the pictures make them look so tiny and I'm not sure what size I should settle for? Bearing in mind that I am a recent graduate (who hasn't found a job yet!), I'd like to get something that fits my stuff, but not so small that I'll run out of space real quickly and not TOO big that I'd prolly have to sell my kidney to get one..

So I'm asking for help from people experienced with dry cabinets, I see the Digi-Cabi AD 60L for $188 on reddotphoto.com, is 60L an okay size? What about physical shops that sell dry cabinets? Any recommendations for good prices? I've got maybe..20 cameras? Rangefinders, a few film slrs + lenses, a few polaroids sitting in a corner rotting, a G9 and an E-P1 so they are mostly quite small in size? Please advise!:dunno:

-Daphne

Judging by the number of cameras you have, a 60L is not going to cut it. You should think about a 100L one. I am on a 170L one and I am already running out of space and I have less equipment than you.

You may wish to go to Funan IT Mall and you can look at the cabinet on display.

For 20 cameras which include lenses, you may need a dry cabinet with larger capacity. ;)

It will defitely worth while to get a dry cabinet for your prized cameras, but i presume you need to send for cleaning first.

Usually the dimensions are given on website. Take a measuring tape and see how big it is.

confirm not enough, go check out the biggest one you can find and afford as i think you might increase your collection. it's a matter of time.
plus it's good investment. don't want to see your collection go down the drain right?
i'm on a 88L cab and it's barely holding out.

confirm not enough, go check out the biggest one you can find and afford as i think you might increase your collection. it's a matter of time.
plus it's good investment. don't want to see your collection go down the drain right?
i'm on a 88L cab and it's barely holding out.

Why not do a custom make from digi-cabi instead? :bsmilie: But seriously, that's a lot of cameras, am using the 160l, so far I only have about 1 tray left of space? Dumped everything in since I have to serve NS this year

They have got the measurement ma.. just that u need to measure whether you have the space a not.
But like what others mentioned, i think you need to make one custom dry cabinet. Its going to be a big one to fit all your equipment in.
The current market dry cabinet will never be enough for you to store so many things..

Why not do a custom make from digi-cabi instead? :bsmilie: But seriously, that's a lot of cameras, am using the 160l, so far I only have about 1 tray left of space? Dumped everything in since I have to serve NS this year

That's an excellent idea spidey, hey TS you might wan to contact digi-cabi @ 64510010 or email them @ sales@digihub.com.sg to ask for a quote.

Clubsnap went down for maintenance!! :cry:

Yar, I do see the dimensions given on most of the websites but somehow I can't really visualize still. but anway I dropped by Harvey Norman and Carrefour the other day (was at Suntec) and saw that indeed, 60L is WAY too small for my needs. Am now looking at either the 100 or 120, most likely 120 lar but prolly gonna get an analogue one so I can afford a bigger cabinet..

Currently it seems like $375 is the best price I can get for a 120L digi-cabi analogue dry cabinet.
Does anybody know if maybe there are better prices out there at the more dedicated photo shops? How about akarui cabinets? I came across them when doing a search on clubsnap but can't seem to find an updated price quote online (saw them on cathay photo's website but no price) and I havent come across any physical ones on my hunt..

I was thinking about it and 20+ cameras might sound like a lot but it really isnt too bad? most of them are compact sized and my film slrs are the ae-1 and me super (i think they were considered quite small right?).

Clubsnap went down for maintenance!! :cry:

Yar, I do see the dimensions given on most of the websites but somehow I can't really visualize still. but anway I dropped by Harvey Norman and Carrefour the other day (was at Suntec) and saw that indeed, 60L is WAY too small for my needs. Am now looking at either the 100 or 120, most likely 120 lar but prolly gonna get an analogue one so I can afford a bigger cabinet..

Currently it seems like $375 is the best price I can get for a 120L digi-cabi analogue dry cabinet.
Does anybody know if maybe there are better prices out there at the more dedicated photo shops? How about akarui cabinets? I came across them when doing a search on clubsnap but can't seem to find an updated price quote online (saw them on cathay photo's website but no price) and I havent come across any physical ones on my hunt..

I was thinking about it and 20+ cameras might sound like a lot but it really isnt too bad? most of them are compact sized and my film slrs are the ae-1 and me super (i think they were considered quite small right?).

Most of the dry cabinets are so called "Controlled Price" thus the prices are almost the same for all the places.

You could go Funan IT Mall to take a look but its not going to be a big difference in price. Delivery are done by the actually manufacturer themselves not the shops..