dry cabinet enquiries

Status
Not open for further replies.
reachme2003 said:
most kinds of fabrics retain much moisture. if pouches are made of fabric, it is best to leave them outside the dry cab.
That includes camera straps as well, after hanging whole day on your neck, more or less some moisture (read: perspiration) will get retained in the strap.

Paul_Yeo said:
I have a few enquiries about dry cabinet (those electronic one)

1) shld i take out my battery from flash unit and camera?

2) shld i put the battery into the dry box? (to prevent battery contact from oxidation?) or put battery outside the dry cabinet?

3) is it ok to put the dry cabinet under my PC? (static?)

4) shld i take off the lens from the body when i put them into the cabinet?

5) shld i take off the memory card when i put the camera in the cabinet?

1. yes, obviously.
2. doesn't matter. batteries - you'll have to change them eventually ONE day, someday.
3. why not? unless you're putting a server rack on top of your dry cabinet, otherwise so long it doesn't crush the cabinet...
4. up to you. i take off mine all the time. saves me space. dries out the air in the mirror chamber and the rear element of the lenses too.
5. up to you. i put one into my camera, so that i don't screw up and go a shoot forgetting to have a card inside, when i don't bring a spare card (read: effectively no cards to shoot with)

sehsuan said:
2. doesn't matter. batteries - you'll have to change them eventually ONE day, someday.

yes, and eventually, one fine day, when you change batteries, you will find that the batteries leaked and caused a huge mess in the battery compartment.

mervlam said:
yes, and eventually, one fine day, when you change batteries, you will find that the batteries leaked and caused a huge mess in the battery compartment.

oops, that "doesn't matter" was meant for the memory card...

anyone can help recommend a good dry cabinet. maybe 50L?

There is a brand called "Digi-Cabi", quite a lot of models under it. I used a Bossman 30L before, basically is not a smart one. The humidifier motor can only be switched on/off, through a knob. This knob is supposed to be linked to the motor to "sense" the humidity level, but I am pretty sure after testing for a week with it that it does not work with what it should be. The Bossman support is not polite and rude to tell me that the product is not an industrial product so there is basically no support of such to explain to me how it should be operated or work.

A "smart", or what I call a correct version, of a good electronic dry cabinet should automatically switch on the motor to dehumidify the air when the humidity goes out of the level you set it to be (for example you open the door it lets in humidify air in, rises to 70% the motor switch on to dehumidify back to the 50% you set). Anyway the Digi-Cabi I bought is about $150, a 70L one. Big enough for 5-7 lenses, acessories and my neg and slides.

:bheart: guys, please , please :kok:
keep yr lens in the dry box, tried that done that...all are bull!@#$ all my lens got fungus bcoz of that bul!@#$ now I keep my camera n lens in the dry box over 3 years, the lens still fantastic no sign of fungus.

you can't just leave your lens in a dry cabinet, TLC needed, if you don't touch your lens, occasionally go clean it too.

meanwhile wahidkarim55, if I'm not wrong, a dry box is 0% humidity because silica gel absorbs all water moisture, this will have an effect on your lenses as the lubricant dry up or evaporate due to the extremely harsh reduced humidity.

loupgarou said:
meanwhile wahidkarim55, if I'm not wrong, a dry box is 0% humidity because silica gel absorbs all water moisture, this will have an effect on your lenses as the lubricant dry up or evaporate due to the extremely harsh reduced humidity.

well, you are very wrong... 0% humidity cannot be achieved

Newbie question: I was told that an environment that is too dry is not good for the lens. Like it may crack or something?

Can someone help clarify? Thank you.

nyxx88 said:
Newbie question: I was told that an environment that is too dry is not good for the lens. Like it may crack or something?

Can someone help clarify? Thank you.
the plastic and leather components of ur camera/lens cannot be too dry (< 30% humidity) else they may crack or become brittle as a result of the dryness

Status
Not open for further replies.