Dry Cabinet : Brand choice & Place To Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjayc

Feb 18, 2007
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Dry Cabinet. From online posts, looks like digi cab and toyo living are good. Toyo living seems much better.

In digicab, whats difference between digital display models and digital humidity controlled models? which one is better? what are advantages / disadvantages of each?

Hows digihub for buying?

What are the safe places in singapore , where I can buy Toyo living / digi cab cabinets at a reasonable price without quality compromise?

do I need an additional digital hygrometer?

My requirement is for storing 35 mm film slr and lens. I stay in chennai, where rh goes above 70 %

Thanks in Advance

I just got a digi-cab last month at Carrefour in Singapre for S$99 (30L capacity) and S$160 for (60L capacity). The one I got AD-30 has the digital display model - it means the AAA battery needs to be replaced separately. The only thing I need to figure out is that no matter where I turn the knob the RH% drops below 35% which may not be ideal for long periods of time for the equipment. 45%-55% is the recommended (acdg to the manual for cameras)

I am not aware of the Toyo brand.

been using digicabi forthe past 2 years. 45% consistently everyday. highly recommended. $99 only for 30L

Im another digi-cabi user. It has kept my equipment safe for the last 2 yrs. Am using a 80L at the moment but it's very packed so may be getting another. If you have quite a bit of gear may want to just get the 120L.

Just got d AD-050 (50L) Digi-cabi for $158 n d best things is dat is free home delivery n got free cleaning kits & travel dry cabinet some more ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .Visit their website 4 more details aite.

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Dry Cabinet. From online posts, looks like digi cab and toyo living are good. Toyo living seems much better.

In digicab, whats difference between digital display models and digital humidity controlled models? which one is better? what are advantages / disadvantages of each?

Hows digihub for buying?

What are the safe places in singapore , where I can buy Toyo living / digi cab cabinets at a reasonable price without quality compromise?

My requirement is for storing 35 mm film slr and lens. I stay in chennai, where rh goes above 70 %

Thanks in Advance

is it worthwhile to buy here and shipped back to india?

Wow, with all these replies, looks like I missed this thread somehow and ended up posting in http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=2850801#post2850801

To cut the long story short, I'm looking for a dry cabinet as well. Until I find the Toyo Living seller & check out their display set, I'm pretty keen on getting Digi-Cabi.
I went down to Carrefour to check out their display units and I noticed a few (minor) differences.

1) Sliding trays (plastic) vs fixed trays (metal).
2) Power cable is perm fixed vs those removable cables that's commonly used for computers
3) Colored RH knob & no lights vs non colored RH knob with 2 light indicators.

Can someone tell me which is older/better. And if there's anything in particular to look out for when purchasing?

Get dry cabi. Its Japan and very lasting. By the way, any one knows if there are any german made dry cabinets?

1) Sliding trays (plastic) vs fixed trays (metal).
I prefer the sliding trays to facilitate the accessability of my items, without reaching deep within to get or place them back.
2) Power cable is perm fixed vs those removable cables that's commonly used for computers
Makes no difference as it's plugged in and always on.
3) Colored RH knob & no lights vs non colored RH knob with 2 light indicators.
I rather have the 2 light indicators to know that the dehumidifying unit is working! :bsmilie:

Can someone tell me which is older/better. And if there's anything in particular to look out for when purchasing?
But a bigger one that required to give room when the number of your gear expands! :lovegrin:

Hi,
Thanks everyone. I contacted Digi hub. They dont ship to India. We dont have much options in my city and the one they had was overpriced few times over. I guess I will have someone pick it up there and bring it over.

Get the DHC version it is much better and if not wrong digihub do ship to india.
Just give a ring to the boss handphone. :)

YMMV

Yup.. I also made up my mind & got the DHC version 'coz it saves you trouble of checking the meter reading every now & then, and adjusting the dehumidifier unit.. peace of mind with regulated RH%..:D

i got my 60L model abt 2 years ago during one of the IT shows direct from distributor and free delivery...cannot remember the price though (about $150). so you might want to take a look at the next show. come with 5 years warranty i think.

Analog meter so don't need battery. It stays at about 45% RH even though my room have very high RH usually (things rust/tarnish faster in my room than anywhere else in my house). I think the digital model do not have much differences but since i don't check it often I figured don't need to waste money on a digital one.

Did not notice there are different trays though I have the metal sliding one...pretty useful.

Store my antique Konica SLR with a 200mm, 50mm and 28mm lens. Now it's together with my 400D with 28-300mm lens and 2 flashes...still have plenty of room for filters, batteries, even my stack of 200diskettes (new some more...waste money last time)...

Hi,

Hows digihub for buying?

Thanks in Advance

I think the Toyo one you are refering to is those big translucent plastic boxes coupled with ThirstyHippos...not a very good idea...been debated and explained many times over in this forum already.

I checked with the distributor and he told me the cost of running the Digi-Cabi is about $0.80 per month.... maybe cheaper than using microwave to dry silica gel. Gives you better control over RH as well.

Yup.. I also made up my mind & got the DHC version 'coz it saves you trouble of checking the meter reading every now & then, and adjusting the dehumidifier unit.. peace of mind with regulated RH%..:D

Agree... DHC version and the cool blueeee light :eek: worth every cent and a peace of mind... no trial and error adjustment needed :lovegrin:

i got my 60L model abt 2 years ago during one of the IT shows direct from distributor and free delivery...cannot remember the price though (about $150). so you might want to take a look at the next show. come with 5 years warranty i think.

Analog meter so don't need battery. It stays at about 45% RH even though my room have very high RH usually (things rust/tarnish faster in my room than anywhere else in my house). I think the digital model do not have much differences but since i don't check it often I figured don't need to waste money on a digital one.

Did not notice there are different trays though I have the metal sliding one...pretty useful.

Store my antique Konica SLR with a 200mm, 50mm and 28mm lens. Now it's together with my 400D with 28-300mm lens and 2 flashes...still have plenty of room for filters, batteries, even my stack of 200diskettes (new some more...waste money last time)...

you mean analog one no need power to run?

i'm thinking of getting a smaller one to put at my gf place....maybe a 30L to 50L will do.

The analog dial doesnt need power but the unit does ;)

Think a 30L would be good if you are gonna keep a camera body and a few lenses. Mine holds a D70 body, kit lens and 70-300 in the top tray. The bottom tray still empty so dumping chargers and watches in it. :sweat:

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked with digihub. They said Analog was better as they were less electronics, I would have less chances of getting faults.

Does know anyone know a good shipper with reliable and reasonable shipping rates. Would like to send via ship.

you mean analog one no need power to run?

i'm thinking of getting a smaller one to put at my gf place....maybe a 30L to 50L will do.

The meter don't need battery...the unit still needs...

Does know anyone know a good shipper with reliable and reasonable shipping rates. Would like to send via ship.

Maybe SingPost to send? should be good and cheap?

Hi,
Thanks for the information. Any idea on the weight of digi cabi AD 120 dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.