[DRY CABINET] Anything to take note of?

KitKatKiat

Jan 9, 2012
Singapore, Punggol
twitter.com
Just got a new dry cabinet from Cathay photo(hydrometer), is there anything to take note of before storing my lens in it?
Do I need to remove my UV filters when storing my lenses in the cabinet, or is it ok either way?

Thanks!

Last edited:
its up to you really, no right or wrong

Well for me,I leave my filter on the lens.but there is no hard & fast rule here...totally up to you.

Just got a new dry cabinet from Cathay photo(hydrometer), is there anything to take note of before storing my lens in it?
Do I need to remove my UV filters when storing my lenses in the cabinet, or is it ok either way?

Thanks!
Just curious. What makes you think there is a need to remove filters before storing?
For me. i dont remove them. and i also had my caps on. So far. So good.

step one, open the door,

step two, put your camera side,

step three, close the door.

hope this help.

Thanks mr Moderator! Your reply was greatly appreciated! I hope there are more moderators as helpful as you in Clubsnap, the community will be a much better place!
Anyway, congratulations on your 16,611 post! My dad and I hope you'll help more newbie photographers like us by posting positive replies in the forums!!

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will put on my filters then. ^^
In the meantime .... I wouldn't be taking much photographs ....... I can conclude that taking photographs will cause a slight decrease in IQ for some. :eek:

is just a very simple thing, don't make it so complicated.

does it make any different whether lens cap is on or off?

if upright, should front element face up or down?

lens rest side way or keep it up right? which way better?

if lie down, should front element face in or out?

can I keep lens hood inside?

how about batteries?

can I put dry cabinet in a air con room?

these questions don't need a PhD to answer you. all you need is store the things in your most convenient way.

catchlights said:
is just a very simple thing, don't make it so complicated.

does it make any different whether lens cap is on or off?

if upright, should front element face up or down?

lens rest side way or keep it up right? which way better?

if lie down, should front element face in or out?

can I keep lens hood inside?

how about batteries?

can I put dry cabinet in a air con room?

these questions don't need a PhD to answer you. all you need is store the things in your most convenient way.

After reading the manual and a little research, I got most of my answers already. Thanks anyway!!

Last edited:
Idk whether to laugh or cry @TS. So here's a round of applause -clap clap clap-

Fudgecakes said:
Idk whether to laugh or cry @TS. So here's a round of applause -clap clap clap-

You can start by laughing, it's easier than crying. ;)

As I said, I got most of my answers already. I wanted to reconfirm my doubts in the "NEWBIE section".
Leave your applause for your spouse in bed tonight. :D :D

Last edited:
Do you keep the camera inside the dry cabinet?

You can start by laughing, it's easier than crying. ;)

As I said, I got most of my answers already. I wanted to reconfirm my doubts in the "NEWBIE section".
Leave your applause for your spouse in bed tonight. :D :D

Just throw your camera/s and Lenses inside, filters or no filters...

basically after a day of using the camera, just go home, leave it outside for awhile before putting it in the dry box. no hard and fast rule on ways to put inside but just take note of the meter on the dry box, make sure it falls in the specific range

Hi Seniors,

How to set up a Dry Box temperature ?

There is a gauge or something in the middle

I just got a DSLR few days ago. How do I go about storing it and setting the temp?

Where would be the best place to store the dry box without the reach of children?

Please advise...

Warmest Regards

Hi Seniors,

I just got a DSLR few days ago. How do I go about storing it and setting the temp?

Where would be the best place to store the dry box without the reach of children?

Please advise...

Warmest Regards

Reading the below sticky will help answer some of your questions. I think most dry cabinet cannot control temp only humidity. Your dry cabinet should come with a lock right? This should prevent your kids from opening it.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/771068-do-i-need-drybox-buy-buy-drybox.html

Hi Seniors,

Please advise...

Warmest Regards

It's a DRY box, not a cold/hot box, so the name alone should give you a clue that its primary function has little/nothing to do with temperature.
The box controls the humidity (or moisture content) of the air inside it.

As for where to store it... common sense tells you that you should place it out of the reach of children, if you don't want them to meddle with it.

Hi, sorry to hijack tis thread.

I will be going for work overseas and be there for 3 months. Won't be using the camera everyday, so will store in locked luggage in service apartment while i go to work.

In this case, do I still need to get dry box? I already have a dry cabinet at home.

or i can just get a bag of gel and put inside luggage too?

Thanks.

Hi, sorry to hijack tis thread.

I will be going for work overseas and be there for 3 months. Won't be using the camera everyday, so will store in locked luggage in service apartment while i go to work.

In this case, do I still need to get dry box? I already have a dry cabinet at home.

or i can just get a bag of gel and put inside luggage too?

Thanks.

What country are you going to? If the relative humidity over there is fairly low, then you shouldn't need to be too concerned.
Just use it fairly often to capture the scenery where you'll be :)

What country are you going to? If the relative humidity over there is fairly low, then you shouldn't need to be too concerned.
Just use it fairly often to capture the scenery where you'll be :)

Will be going South Africa, winter there soon so humidity will be say 50%. Gosh you are right it's all about the humidity, stupid me to miss this point...thanks!!!

Ya hopefully have some time to shoot some nice photos!