Dry cabinet a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacWin

Jul 20, 2009
I don't have much space to put a cabinet in my room since I've only 1 DSLR with a kit lens. I just used a "locknlock" tupperware and put inside, it will be fine? Or any brother/sister here can recommend a small dry cabinet?

I don't have much space to put a cabinet in my room since I've only 1 DSLR with a kit lens. I just used a "locknlock" tupperware and put inside, it will be fine? Or any brother/sister here can recommend a small dry cabinet?

This topic has been discussed to death already. Please do a search :)

Anyway, to prevent fungus from growing, the Relative Humidity (RH) has to be kept at a recommended 45% or so. Singapore's RH is around 90%. Even if you put inside the Da Chang Jin tupperware, the RH is still at 90%.

You will need something to reduce the RH - like a dry cabinet or a dry box.

Dry cabinet use minimal amount of electricity - 5W. Can control the RH and set at 45%.

Dry box is like an air tight box, have to put silica gel inside to absorb to water. Will have to replace the gel or put in oven to dry it after some time. RH usually not easy to control even with a hygrometer.

Last edited:
due to money constraints, i waited half a year after i bought my camera before i got myself a proper dry box. by then i could already see 'pre-rust' stains on the metallic rings of my camera.
So yes u need dry cabinet. get a dry box if u want something smaller, cheaper and also if u dun intend to increase the number of gears u have. you can get a dry box for less than $100. hope this helps.

if u want to risk getting fungus later on, please do so.

if u want to save money, how can u afford to buy DSLR + kit lens?

if u want to save space, do you think you are buying a refrigerator? Throw away those unwanted things in your room, i am sure there it.

and yes i know i sound sarcastic. ;p

Here you go: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575443&highlight=Dry+cabinet

To add on to sinned79's point, getting a dry cabinet at just over $100 dollars to protect a thousand dollars is not alot of money, the dry cabinet can be used to keep your important documents, keropok, tealeaves (as a forummer suggested, forgot who!).

Else, dry box with silica gel is around $20-$30?

In any case, do seriously consider getting one. Although you don't need to rush out and get one right away, its good to get it :) before fungus pays a visit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the efficient replies. Just curious, how does camera shops store their camera? Cos' i remember when i buy my DSLR, they just grab from the shelf. o_O

Although I've never used a dry box with silical gel, but a dry cabinet is defnitely more convenient (and likely to be more effective too).

Cost of a dry cabinet is a small sum compared to the "investment" of the body(s) and lens.

My package comes with a small Digicabi "AD-030". Its initially quite empty. But as the collection grows, I find it rather limiting now. You might want to consider getting a bigger one. ;p

Thanks for the efficient replies. Just curious, how does camera shops store their camera? Cos' i remember when i buy my DSLR, they just grab from the shelf. o_O

They store it in the shop. :bsmilie:

They usually sell it within a month or two, so no issues with fungus. Besides, there's aircon. Cooler air has less capacity to contain moisture as compared to warmer air, if I remember correctly. Not an expert here.

My package comes with a small Digicabi "AD-030". Its initially quite empty. But as the collection grows, I find it rather limiting now. You might want to consider getting a bigger one. ;p

Would you like to donate the dry cabinet to me? ;P

Digicabi AD-030 is enough if you have 3-4 lenses. It is cheap and thus a good start.

They usually sell it within a month or two, so no issues with fungus. Besides, there's aircon. Cooler air has less capacity to contain moisture as compared to warmer air, if I remember correctly. Not an expert here.

Just cooling the air would lead to condensation, fungus would be trigger happy and start growing on such a base. Air condition devices all do a drying of the air as well, so the absolute humidity is lower - together with lower temperature it comes out at the same RH level .. more or less.

Last edited:
thanks for clearing the doubts. ;)

If you dont have any budget issue, I like suggest that you go for "Digital controller" instead of "Analog Controller"

Do you notice some (non camera) stores put a glass of water to bring the humidity up? This is because the industrial size cooling at some shopping centre brings the humidity down 40-60% level..

a good example is the cinema, when the climate control is on, it's nice and cosy but when the movie is over and they shut off the air con, the place reeks of a certain stench..

So if your room has air con, it will bring the humidity down like a dry cabi..
only problem is when you turn it off and condensation occurs..

Last edited:
Presume you have a drying agent inside like a silica gel or a packet of thirsty hippo or the new release, cheaper fairprice brand for instance. Else tupperware alone won't do any good.

where to get the silica gel?

hi newbie here..how about other electronic gadgets like laptop,ipod,psp,cellphone..how are they any different with the dslr? do you mean to say the also need to be put in a dry cabinet? tnx

hi newbie here..how about other electronic gadgets like laptop,ipod,psp,cellphone..how are they any different with the dslr? do you mean to say the also need to be put in a dry cabinet? tnx

Cameras and lenses need to be put in dry cabinet because there are species of fungus which will grow on glass and ruin the optics.

What is the purpose of dry storage conditions? Which parts of a camera / lens shall never be affected by this? Does a laptop, psp, cellphone have this?
Secondly: check the manuals of all those items, there is something called "Environmental Conditions" or "Storage Conditions", read up there.

Would you like to donate the dry cabinet to me? ;P

If you have a bigger one, and don't need the space, I can top up in exchange for yours. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.