Dry Cabi or tripod first

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilearn

Sep 9, 2008
Say I have a budget either for tripod/drycabi, which would be a better investment to make first?
If I get tripod I'll be using it probably once per mth average unless i go travelling
I have about 3 lenses currently.

Pls advice :)

dry cab first, and get a cheapo tripod for the time being.

dry cab first, and get a cheapo tripod for the time being.

2nd that :thumbsup:

You could live without a tripod..... but would you want to risk damage to your Camera & Lense ?? :think:

But would suggest you save up enough money to get a 'Pro' tripod instead of a cheapo one.

IMO, go for a dry-cabi first to protect your valuable investment.

When it's time to buy a tripod, choose one that is steady & stable enough that can take the weight of your camera with lenses & flash, etc.

dry cabinet!
you camera will be using it 99% of the time when you are not shooting.

and you still can shoot many many subjects without owning a tripod

Looks like the outcome is unanimous.
Probably gonna head down to CP to check out the dry cabis :)

Thanks for the advice

Looks like the outcome is unanimous.
Probably gonna head down to CP to check out the dry cabis :)

Thanks for the advice

Bro.... if you can, do list down the price of dry cabis CP is selling... :sweat:

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd smaller 30L to use with my 60L. Digi-Cabi will do fine. Thxs :bsmilie:

drycab for 36L one is about $108?
tripod can get quite a decent one (Y560) from JL Photo at $120..

if like that it's $228

but dry cab is more important.. if you want to save on that first, you can always get a dry box (put silica gel ones) at $20+..

i have a thight budget and yesterday i was looking for dry cabinet for my 2 day-old camera. i gound digi-cabi 30L for 118 at carefour, but it was too expensive, so i bought an air-lock box (usually for food) and i bought a bottle of silica gel, i spent total of S$30. and it houses my d40, 55-200mm VR and 18-55mm.

Contrary to what the rest have said, I would say get the tripod first.

A tripod will improve your photography almost immediately (in terms of photo sharpness, learning what works.. etc), and it is good to start to get into the habit of using a tripod if you do a lot of landscapes and macro.

If you use your camera equipment regularly, the chances of the lenses getting infected by fungus is really very low, you can live without the dry cabinet for some time. If you're still paranoid, you can keep the lenses in tupperware boxes with a packet of silica gels.

Happy shooting! :cool:

drycab for 36L one is about $108?
tripod can get quite a decent one (Y560) from JL Photo at $120..

if like that it's $228

but dry cab is more important.. if you want to save on that first, you can always get a dry box (put silica gel ones) at $20+..

sorry bro.. noob here.. where is JL photo? was thinking of getting the dry cab..

cheers
Shawn covvey

oh JL Photo is an online shop which you can access from jl-photo.net.. just got their news letter of the new site.. well stocked of products at reasonable pricing and great service.. enjoy ;)

If you planing to take night shots, event or anything that requires long exposure time, you'll need a tripod. Though, it not that often a tripod is needed. Went for a few walkabouts, carrying my tripod. Hardly used it. Events - only used it for group photos as I had to be in the photo also. Otherwise, it's all hand held.

Wihtout a cabinet, your camera or lens won't be destroyed. No need to get paranoid as the minute you stop using it, you have to quickly stuff the gear into the cabinet. However, you still need a proper place to keep your cam gear.

I would say that you need both tripod and the dry cab. If you don't need the tripod urgently, get the dry cab first. Make sure you save enuff money to buy a reasonable built tripod. Forget about those cheapo tripod that you get as freebies. Those are simply not safe.

Contrary to what the rest have said, I would say get the tripod first.

A tripod will improve your photography almost immediately (in terms of photo sharpness, learning what works.. etc), and it is good to start to get into the habit of using a tripod if you do a lot of landscapes and macro.

If you use your camera equipment regularly, the chances of the lenses getting infected by fungus is really very low, you can live without the dry cabinet for some time. If you're still paranoid, you can keep the lenses in tupperware boxes with a packet of silica gels.

Happy shooting! :cool:

i agree... u cant bring ur dry cabi out to shoot long exposure right... however, large air tight
ware with silica gel shd keep ur stuff safe for while. I got a frz who bring along his camera out everyday becuz he find it safer then keep it at home. maybe if u have small kids at home u will understand this, so he dun need a drycabi at all.

may I know what is ur style of shooting? if macro, tripod is very important.

i have a thight budget and yesterday i was looking for dry cabinet for my 2 day-old camera. i gound digi-cabi 30L for 118 at carefour, but it was too expensive, so i bought an air-lock box (usually for food) and i bought a bottle of silica gel, i spent total of S$30. and it houses my d40, 55-200mm VR and 18-55mm.

spent $30 on a food box!?next time u buy a dry cabinet...its going to cost u $148 instead...after u factor in this $30 dollars.....

anyway, its true that yr rig will not grow fungus overnight...if u use it frequently enough, it should not be a prob...as long as u take it out to use..i was once told by someone more experienced that fungus will only start to grow after a long while after not touching the lens, cause there is no air circulation within the lens, everything is still and stuff..but when u take it out to use, ya basically it will not grow that fast.....so by rite...u will be fine...

Nonetheless a lot of us feel more safe having a safe keeping place for our cameras...if u leave it around, say in a dry box, it could be knocked over..?Keep in yr camera bag...same thing..? yeah, its pretty up to you la...

and honestly, since u are asking this question, it means u are not a heavy user of tripod in the first place..?cause if u really needed one u would already have gotten it in the midst of acquiring yr 3 lenses..? then again, only u can answer that...

Best of course is get both at the same time, and always get the best you can afford(in this case the tripod la...dry cabinet pretty standard unless u wanna go for high end ones that cost more but still do the same job)...dun get a cheapo tripod for now only to upgrade next time unless there is an urgent need for one..cause u end up spending more in the end!

i was told by my friend that even with a dry cab,u have to bring it out once a while to let it be in the sun for a while..like humans need the sun...and since i bring my cam out nowadays very often as i am still learning..he adviced my to get a proper tripod first...and dry cab later on when i start to have too many lens and i seldom use some..

Dry cabi first.... your budget should get you a reasonably ok dry cabi that will last for very long...

if you are serious into photography, then a tripod is a must, but a lot of ppl start with a cheap tripod then realise that they want something better
and upgrade to a mid range tripod and finally go for the high end tripod, wasting a lot of money in the process...
i believe your budget constraint now does not allow you to get both, that's why you are asking...
a dry cabi can be had for about $100+,
a mid range tripod will set you back by about $400,
so you decide.... :)

Say I have a budget either for tripod/drycabi, which would be a better investment to make first?
If I get tripod I'll be using it probably once per mth average unless i go travelling
I have about 3 lenses currently.

Pls advice :)
depends how often you use the lens, if you bring out almost everyday and thus air the equipment can just leave it in the camera bag without any worries. If you have a huge assortment of lens, bodies and such that do not always see the light of day....best to get a dry box.

As for Tripod, estimate roughly how much abuse it will take and the weight of your commonly used setup and then see how much you want to spend.
I have known people who have used their 10kg supported tripods throughout the years and have not exceeded more then 2-3Kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.