Dry Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiphoto

Dec 4, 2003
Hello, I am inquiring about dry boxes since i do not know what they are. My friend told me i must get one for my digicam. What dryboxes are there? Has anyone got good recommendations? I heard AP sells is this true?
Thanks
Kai

A dry box or also known as Dessicator is a must for store camera.

The drying agent absorbs the moisture inside the cabinet, and the absorption process will automatically stop once the setting humidity level is achieved ideal range is between 30~50RH. The absorbed moisture will then be heated and discharged as vapor. :bwhat:

Spyer2 said:
A dry box or also known as Dessicator is a must for store camera.

The drying agent absorbs the moisture inside the cabinet, and the absorption process will automatically stop once the setting humidity level is achieved ideal range is between 30~50RH. The absorbed moisture will then be heated and discharged as vapor. :bwhat:

I think you are referring to the dry-cabinet.

A drybox is just an air tight container that you store your camera equipment. normally you cannot control the humidity level. Just throw in a small amount of sillica ball and it will work fine.

jimtong said:
I think you are referring to the dry-cabinet.

A drybox is just an air tight container that you store your camera equipment. normally you cannot control the humidity level. Just throw in a small amount of sillica ball and it will work fine.

Ooops... ;p my mind 'box' and 'cabinet' are equal... :bsmilie:

Two Question :
1. It is a must to have dry box or dry cabinet to store camera ??? :dunno:
will the camera or lenses spoilt if we do not store in dry box/cabinet?

2. If I am a frequent user who use camera at least once a week, do I still have to store inside dry box/cabinet???

King Tiger said:
Two Question :

2. If I am a frequent user who use camera at least once a week, do I still have to store inside dry box/cabinet???

Ans1
Recommended to store in dry box/cabinet. The lenses or camera may not spoilt but fungus if you are not well keep.

Ans2
Depands on where you normally keep your camera, inside drawer? or just put it anywhere?? And also what is the humidity in your room/hse? Use once a week I think still not very frequent user.. I suggest u get a drybox or use thirsty hippo.. ;)

if you've got expensive lenses and all, yeah... best to get a dry box/cabinet.
...but if its just a p&s, dont bother lah! in my opinion, one of the most appealing traits of a p&s is its convenience. taking the trouble to store it away will just negate this appeal.
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

Here's what I use for my S5000 and its batteries and filters;

Julie's Cheese Sandwich Box ($3)
A bottle of Silica ($4)

Voila... :lovegrin:

Oh, plus you get to enjoy the creamy goodness of the cheese sandwhich too :bsmilie:

Been using it for more than a month now and no sign of the silica changing colour :thumbsup:

King Tiger said:
Two Question :

Some ppl recommend that the humidity level for camera equipment is between 45%-55%. I dunno how these figures come into picture, but if you dun normally or seldom use your equipment, it is recommended to store it in a dry place/dry box/dry cabi.

To answer your Q2, IMO, even if you are a frequent user, having a dry box is still recommended. However, keeping in a dry box it does not mean no fungus grow, it is only to slow down the process. Cleaning your equipment is a very important process prior to putting into dry box.

Hi Kai,

I bought three DX-76 model from a Taiwan company name drytech.com.tw (in Chinese 收藏家電子防潮箱), www.drytech.com.tw

So far, I use two at two different house, the old version seems better, as I switch off it and the humidity still keep for few weeks without increasing much, but the new one is not, if I off it for 1 night, the humidity will go up to a lot, I keep the humidity around 50-60%, but the menu's recommendation is 45-55%, but so far it is okay.

The price is selling at NT$3300, it seems always in promotion, I bought 3 in the pass 5 years and never change.

If you go Taiwan, it is a MUST buy, Good luck and have funs. By the way, there are many many other local bands in Taiwan... you can't believe it... at least 20+

Thanks,
MCS

Correction, the recommendation from menu should be 35-45% RH, but not 45-55%, double checked. Mine setting is 50-60% for the past 5 years, as worry about too low may dry up the camera's oil/lubricant.

I got 3 Qns for you all.

1) Do we need drybox or dry-cabinet for P&S camera? Is it that this dry-things is only suitable for SLR stuff?

2) Camera that are 1 or 2 years old, is there any use if we put them in a drybox now?

3)Putting cameras in drybox or dry-cabinet will make the camera last longer?

Tks for the reply.

reply....

1) basically dryboxes not confined to juz SLR....p&s and everything else over time can get mouldy too...ppl also use the boxes to keep video tapes and in my case.. film and slides....

2) new cameras are as prone to fungus as old ones....its where u keep it...if the humilidity level is high...any thing will be affected...even paper...

3) how long ya camera lasts dun depend on puttin it in the drybox....its how u care for it... drybox only prevent fungal "infections"

hope i am right on these...i may not be haha....

Hi Witness,

Refering to your posting:

3) how long ya camera lasts dun depend on puttin it in the drybox....its how u care for it... drybox only prevent fungal "infections"

What kind of care do you normally give to your camera? I
just clean it with those fine camera cloth. Once a while if discover lens is dirty, I use a blower then a camera tissue to wipe. Is this sufficient? I hate to handle it to the extends of 'afraid' to use it you know what I mean.

normally i use only a blower and brush.....always blower first for me after every shoot....

i never use clothor alcohol etc....esp after a beach shoot....which are popular nowadays....there may be fine particles on the lens....if use cloth like sandpapering it like tt...

then not in use into the drybox it goes....

Witness said:
normally i use only a blower and brush.....always blower first for me after every shoot....

i never use clothor alcohol etc....esp after a beach shoot....which are popular nowadays....there may be fine particles on the lens....if use cloth like sandpapering it like tt...

then not in use into the drybox it goes....

Hey, I got a problem here. Witness and others maybe can help enlighten.

I bought a dry box yesterday at carrefour..... it's not those electric kind. And that is only one piece of instruction on the box that says,"

If cover is not opened, turn left to open valve.
Close cover, turn right to close valve.

What does it mean? Isn't not opened and close the same?

Not the humidity level is at around 60%, I had not put silica yet. Now I turn left to open the valve, then close the box, then turn right to close the valve, is this right?

But no change in humidity level since last night. :think:

oh icer i know wat u talking about.....if i am not wrong, it is a valve to open close the silica gel hatch....

when u open the cover, close the valve, otherwise the silica will absorb moisture from surrounding.....

when u close the cover, open the valve, so tt the silica gel will only absorb moisture from within the box....

good wat, makes the gel last longer....

Witness said:
oh icer i know wat u talking about.....if i am not wrong, it is a valve to open close the silica gel hatch....

when u open the cover, close the valve, otherwise the silica will absorb moisture from surrounding.....

when u close the cover, open the valve, so tt the silica gel will only absorb moisture from within the box....

good wat, makes the gel last longer....

Thanks Witness so much and also for calling me to tell me this. Appreciate that.

So far I only bought the box, no silica yet so cannot demonstrate what you are trying to tell me. The valve is on the top cover of the dry box, a small knob thing. Hope what you said is right, will go and buy the silica and probably ask the shop owners to confirm.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.