Dry Box vs. Dry Cabinet

touchmenotish

Sep 5, 2010
May I know which one is better? :confused:

welcome to ClubSNAP..

it is very easy to use the search function, using the keyword "dry cabinet", "dry box" do a thread title search and you can find the results instantly.

and we encourage members to do that before post a question.
2. New Posters (newbies) - Use the Search Engine to find out if whatever information you are seeking has been posted before posting a question.
Terms of Use

coz i'm renting in sg so it's definetly a dry box, dry cabi is too bulky to move around, i just need to reheat the silicon gel every 1-2 weeks and when they don't recharge anymore i just refill with a new one :D

coz i'm renting in sg so it's definetly a dry box, dry cabi is too bulky to move around, i just need to reheat the silicon gel every 1-2 weeks and when they don't recharge anymore i just refill with a new one :D

it's carcinogenic... be careful with it...

Dry box V.S Dry cabinet

Icebox V.S refrigerator

I'm guessing theres 987654321 threads ready to be searched with regards to your query.
:)

Bro...it's not carcinogenic. But breathing in the dust causes silicosis. :cool:

The silica is not carcinogenic but the cobalt(II) chloride that is added into the gel certainly is, so yes, the blue silica gels sold are cancer causing.

Last edited:
The silica is not carcinogenic but the cobalt(II) chloride that is added into the gel certainly is, so yes, the blue silica gels sold are cancer causing.

You're right. I've overlooked that part cos I was focusing on pure silica gel. :)

i though all the blue silica gel sold in the market is a cobalt free one already compared to the orange one, i think if it's caused such a terrible condition it won't marketed widely and openly in the singapore market, just my thoughts though..

i though all the blue silica gel sold in the market is a cobalt free one already compared to the orange one, i think if it's caused such a terrible condition it won't marketed widely and openly in the singapore market, just my thoughts though..
The blue gel contains Cobalt Chloride, the orange gel does not.
There are more substances marketed widely and openly in Singapore that can cause cancer and other stuffs. The main question is always: proper usage and enough disclaimers.

You're right. I've overlooked that part cos I was focusing on pure silica gel. :)

The blue gel contains Cobalt Chloride, the orange gel does not.
There are more substances marketed widely and openly in Singapore that can cause cancer and other stuffs. The main question is always: proper usage and enough disclaimers.

I think its because small amounts of it shouldn't cause any problems, however, not really sure about the effects of long term exposure to the substance.

I think its because small amounts of it shouldn't cause any problems, however, not really sure about the effects of long term exposure to the substance.

Handling Cobalt Blue by itself would not cause any problem, it is only toxic when ingested orally or through an open wound. Breathing in the dust would also be toxic. The body however requires minute amounts as it is the component that makes up vitamin B12.

Get a dry cabinet for long term use. :cool:

Dun forget where you'd be "cooking" your sillica gel... in oven or microwave.

Where your food will be, ;)

think about it.

Dry box - S$20 or free , hassle to change, reheat, health concern. Hard to control humidity, either too dry or not dry enough

Dry box - S$118 hassle free, health concern free , easily adjustable humidity

For the price difference of S$100+ , I would say the $100 is the best $100 I had spent on photographic equipment so far.

It amaze me to see other people scrimping on S$100+ on a dry cabi, but spent S$100+ on a camera bag or filters.